Cintiq 22HD on a Mac Pro
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cintiq 22HD on a Mac Pro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cintiq 22HD on a Mac Pro

While I haven't as yet purchased the new Cintiq 22HD, I expect to do so in the next week or so (once I finish building my new desk).

This thread is meant to document my preparation and ultimate set-up of the 22HD on the Mac Pro as part of a 3-Monitor configuration. Hopefully it will help any others with a similar configuration by serving as an information resource, or at the very least a cautionary tale...

To begin, my configuration is as follows:

Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008 model) 2.8 GHz Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon
    14GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 5770 (Apple version)
    Two 23-inch Apple Cinema Displays (ACD)

I plan on keeping my two ACD's and using the Cintiq as a third monitor. I am a graphic designer most of the time, but also do a fair amount of illustration, so the two ACD's will serve me well for the former and the Cintiq for the latter.

Issue #1: Cable Adapters
    The first issue I encountered in researching a potential 3-monitor setup was the problem of cable adapters. The graphic card I purchased through Apple (ATI Radeon 5770) has two mini-DV ports and one DVI port. Since both my monitors currently have DVI connectors, I purchased an Apple mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter for one of the monitors. This worked fine for a two monitor setup - one monitor connected directly to the DVI port, while the other used the Apple adapter to connect to the mini-DisplayPort port.

One would think that to add another DVI connected monitor, I would simply need to purchase another Apple mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but this is not the case. In fact, I did just that and found that with two Apple adapters plugged in to both mini-DisplayPorts, only one monitor would work.

Upon further research I found out that Apple's adapters are PASSIVE, but ACTIVE adapters are required. I don't know why this is so (I tried to read an explanation but was frustrated by my puny artist-brain).

The good news is that mini-DisplayPort to DVI ACTIVE Adapters are available for roughly the same price as Apple's passive adapters (about $33 at this time). I ordered two of the adapters.

Last week I received my ACTIVE adapters and promptly plugged them in. I am happy to report that both Apple Cinema Displays are working perfectly via the two mini-DisplayPorts, thus leaving the DVI port free and clear for my future Cintiq 22HD purchase.

The moral of the story: Don't rely on Apple Adapters to power a 3+-monitor setup

More to come... eventually.

Last edited by sigmadog; August 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarifies Apple's name for the adapter
    Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for this, I think it is going to be a "must read" for anyone wanting to embark on this journey.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had issues with apple adapters as well. I tried connecting a mini display port to dvi connector to a macbook pro and 21ux which resulted in shimmering red pixels all over the screen. contacted wacom because I thought my cintiq was faulty and they had me get rid of the apple adapter and use a kanex adapter. This fixed the problem. so moral of the story, your right dont use apple adapters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This issue worries me a bit. I ordered a cheap adapter from dealextreme and it doesn't work at all on any monitor i tested. Im planning on getting the cintiq in about two weeks, and the only adapters I can get are the ones from apple or a brand named NEDIS. Kanex are not available here. I hope they will work...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE:
    I ordered my Cintiq 22HD a couple weeks ago and it arrived last week. Did the Active MiniDV to DVI adapters work? In a word: YES.

Right now, I'm running three monitors on my Mac Pro using one ATI Radeon 5770 in the following configuration:
    A. Two 23" Apple Cinema Displays plugged into the 2 MiniDV ports via the active adapters
    B. One Cintiq 22HD plugged into the DVI port.

I have no problems to report. The Cintiq runs like a champ.

The only hitch: I had to play with the calibration to get the colors close to my other monitors. It's not an exact match, but it is very close for my purposes.

I'm really enjoying watching my hand as I draw after years of Intuos madness (in truth, I still use my Intuos 4 for photoshop work and other things). It's the way I learned to draw and it feels so natural. I think my work is going to improve dramatically in terms of speed and quality.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sigmadog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi sigmadog,
    Do you have any problems with the anti-glare on the 22HD? I read some people complains it makes the image on screen fuzzy. Does it make the glass a bit less smooth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WACOM

Hi, I just started working with my Cintiq which is conected to my imac. But now I wanted to conect it to my windows laptop instead and it doesn't work. I did everything in the display options in the laptop but Cintiq continues black. Can you guys send me any tip about it? Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    UPDATE:
    I ordered my Cintiq 22HD a couple weeks ago and it arrived last week. Did the Active MiniDV to DVI adapters work? In a word: YES.

Right now, I'm running three monitors on my Mac Pro using one ATI Radeon 5770 in the following configuration:
    A. Two 23" Apple Cinema Displays plugged into the 2 MiniDV ports via the active adapters
    B. One Cintiq 22HD plugged into the DVI port.

I have no problems to report. The Cintiq runs like a champ.

The only hitch: I had to play with the calibration to get the colors close to my other monitors. It's not an exact match, but it is very close for my purposes.

I'm really enjoying watching my hand as I draw after years of Intuos madness (in truth, I still use my Intuos 4 for photoshop work and other things). It's the way I learned to draw and it feels so natural. I think my work is going to improve dramatically in terms of speed and quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mankiko View Post
    Hi, I just started working with my Cintiq which is conected to my imac. But now I wanted to conect it to my windows laptop instead and it doesn't work. I did everything in the display options in the laptop but Cintiq continues black. Can you guys send me any tip about it? Thanks a lot!
    install the cintiq driver on the windows machine then reboot and the cintiq screen should then work. it will not work without the driver installed. once the screen is working you will likely have to change the screen settings from mirror to extended desktop then set the primary display. this will allow you to pick the correct resolution for the cintiq.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oferk;
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I've just returned from vacation.

I don't find the anti-glare screen a problem at all, nor do I find that it gets in the way of precision work. Any screen is going to seem fuzzy if you get close enough. I think the key is to find a good distance from the screen that works for you. As for myself, I keep my head about 18-20 inches from the screen; at that distance, I don't notice any fuzziness at all.

The screen itself is very smooth and is much preferable to my Intuos4 tablet, which wears nibs out at a prodigious pace. I don't feel any bumpiness, grit, or resistance at all when working, so I think my nibs will last much longer on the Cintiq 22HD.

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase.

Last edited by sigmadog; October 17th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I'm having similar problem.
    I have a 2011 MPB, and 27" cinema display thunderbolt, and a Cintiq 13hd.
    Unfortunately, plug it in the thunderbolt port of Cinema Display don't work.
    So, or I do use MBP+Cinema Display, or MBP+Cintiq.
    There is a alternative, instead from using a dualhead from Matrox (wich I think that is a expensive option, and make more cables)?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you could use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Multi...rds=usb+screen to plug in the 13hd

or to get it to work with your current setup you would have to have an additional thunderbolt device with 2 thunderbolt ports on it (like a thunderbolt drive) to put in between the thunderbolt display and the 13hd. as far as ive read this is the only way to get a non thunderbolt display to work off a chain of the thunderbolt display.

Members who have read this thread: 3