Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Bull's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bull's sketchbook

Hey guys,

My name's André, I'm 21, from Brazil.

Well, I finally decided to study the fundamentals of art. So I'll post here in this first post my latest works done before studying the fundamentals. And then, in the next posts, I'll be showing the results of my studies.

Just started to create concepts 1 year ago (10 months digitally) and I'm currently studying on Bridgman's anatomy books.

Any critique and/or advice will be appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bull, nice start. I like your ideas, specially the canyon enviro (great sense of light and mood).
    Good to know you're studying Bridgman, don't forget the rest of the basics: perspective, gesture, observation work and color theory.

Keep up!

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Januz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Januz, thank you for your post, man. Well, I'm studying more Figure Drawing now (switched to Michael Hampton's book) along with some basic perspective studies, maybe I'll be back to anatomy in the near future, but something that currently bothers me is color theory, I really don't know how to apply realistic colors in my drawings...

And I'm having a hard time with my scanner, so, no traditional drawings/studies to post here for a while.

But I have a digital creature design here. "Minimalistic" design (ok, lack of originality) I must say, but I think I'm understanding lighting better...

See ya, hope to hear from you soon

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice creature dude, although it looks like it spends more time on water than the surface (because of the tail). Maybe it would've looked better swimming or something like that.

If you're having trouble with color, google "the dimension of color" or look for threads about it on the tuts forum. Also, Ctrl+Paint came out with an idea for color studies that I'm applying right now, http://www.ctrlpaint.com/the-tiny-study/.

Try to move the hue around a bit more when you paint. If you have a warm light, shadows should be cooler and vice versa. Things get tinted with the color of the sky as they get further away (atmospheric perspective). Remember that light is never pure white (although some artificial lights get close). Study Rembrandt, Caravaggio and the Impressionists.

Keep up!

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good start, keep doing your studies. Don't be afraid to do direct studies either, say you're going to draw a reptile like you did above, maybe paint a lizard or frog beforehand so you understand the basics of what would make up your creature. These kinds of studies always help to bring more realism and life into your work. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 1