Realizing I picked the wrong education - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Realizing I picked the wrong education

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sure Leonardo would do all of those .... and more..... since.... ya know.... he did all that in his time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the replies, I haven't been able to reply back to any for some time (internet problemo). But I read everything you guys have said, and since you took the time to reply I feel I want to repay that and reply back.

Cider - Thank you, I guess it might be best to take the chance instead of forever regretting myself later on - when I do it will probably be the best decision I make.

Arshes Nei - Yea I agree with you, it would be a bit stupid if I didn't take it now when I am so close.

Kamber Parrk - Ever since I found his sketchbook on here around a year ago I have been very inspired by him, and this inspires me even more!

JeffX99 - Thanks Jeff, you're right about that I should go with what feels best, and doing art in the future instead of biology feels like the most right thing that can happen to me right now. Life is funny, you never know where it goes - and yes I should enjoy it more which I feel I am starting to do gradually. And yepp I better think through things and be smart as you say.

Velocity Kendall - Awesome song, Vel. Added to my favourites.

M-Min - Hehe yes age shouldn't be a concern, even though I know I shouldn't concern myself with it I still do. I guess I am only human after all. I always fail to remember all those amazing artists and humans that does these spectacular things not when they're much younger then me but much older.

Shorinji_Knight - Biology brother! I'm sad to hear what happened, I still can't understand how they can say one can be over-qualified. We both gotta keep fighting to become artists man.

maliaschwenk - Thanks for the spam!

JFierce - Hm yes I have heard about that happening to a lot of fine arts student, but I guess part of that can depend on how much one really wants it, someone told me that not everyone will make it and I think that is a fact and that only those who wants it the most and put in the work thatwill get them where they want will get what they want.

It can both be a good and a bad thing to take a risk as you say, I felt I always avoided taking risks in my life and went the safe rout which I didn't actually want to walk - so maybe it is time for me to start taking a bit of risks.

vineris - Hehe yes you ARE right, I should take more advantage of the proffession I am studying!

LightandDark - I am with you on that discipline is one of the major differences between a great artist and a so so artist. Thank you for your school advice, I will take it and I think it was very good that you mentioned it to me. Thanks!

Lyraina - I have been thinking on saving up money for an art-school maybe, working with art on the side of my biology job (which I hope will be well payed hehe). Yes that is the reasone I have been thinking about this a lot lately, that I know I will regrett myself if I dont do this before I am 40+. So I think I will, I mean hell we only live once.

arenhaus - It is a good option! But there are so much more things way more interesting, even though what you propose is very fascinating.

Amarok - I think what you have is a good plan under your circumstances, saving up money for art school. I truly hope you get what you want! And yes nothing should stop you if you want to go for what you want more then anything else.

bcarman - Thank you for your words. I just have to accept the consequences for what I have done so far and live with it, and look forward instead of backwards. I just need to get it into my thick skull that I am not too old yet hehe. Plus I hope I won't have my grandpas genes when it comes to hair, but then I should be thankful for Rogaine if I do.

Qitsune - Hehe yes it haven't been a waste of time exactly, even though I delude myself it have been sometimes. I have gained so much knowledge and I know I wouldn't been the same person I am right now if I chose something else - and I actually like who I am at the moment.

Yes I will finish the degree, thank you.

briggsy@ashtons - Wow you're right, I have never even considered that! Thanks a lot for the inspiring words and what you said about my art, it really feels very motivating to me. When I read it I got a big smile on my face. Yes I should look up art history a lot! I did actually go a course at the side on art history, I still have the Marilyn Stockstad book "Art History" here.

When you say that I should pick up some solid art history, what do you exactly mean? That I should study the way art and architecture have evolved throughout the ages and incorporate that? Just curious, I want to see if I understood correctly just.

Craig D - Biology brother! In all honesty I can also say I don't entirely regret what I have done, and I think I will have a lot of use of it in art in the future if I don't have it now. Cicero breathed wisdom.

Velocity Kendall - I agree with that biology is the most sophisticated engineering I have personally seen. The internals and workings of cells, how cell breathing works and supplies muscle cells with energy is one of the most remarkable things I remember from my cell biology courses, and the insects have an intricate system of tubes which as the tubes grow smaller they connects to the cells in order to supply oxygen. Now that is an amazing breathing mechanism.

LordLouis - Hehe ye, it is a big interest and I am not uninterested in it in any way, and I can't complain over the grades I been getting either which in turn shows my interest.

Having two passions that can both bring an income is very flexible I agree, but if one feel much more right then the other I think I must take the risk of not working with the least interesting one even if it is very close to me. I in my very being feels that I don't want to do anything else then art, it feels what I was meant to do with my life. I want to one day become that crazy old artist with a huge beard that goes around the classroom shouting at youngsters that their figures are out of proportions and they better sharpen up or they get the paddle.

And yes I would drop it all for art. I got the opportunity of a lifetime in fact, no debt and a high education, I could work for a while and then get a house and start a family before I would be 28 if I want. Without any debt except for the house which I would pay of in short. But I would give all that up to work with art in a small cramped apartment living of nothing but fast-noodles and a student loan, clawing myself to improvement and the top.

Also guys, I think Leonardo would have picked all of those educations you've mentioned, he was a polymath after all and I don't think he would been satisfied only picking one.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A point to remember... today, it'll be art. Are you sure that it'll be art 20 years from now? Like you, I have a degree in science (physics). When I was a kid, all I wanted to be was an astrophysicists. Read everything that I could about it. Went to college, got a degree in physics. Worked as a scientist for Hughes... realized... didn't want to be a physicist, anymore... would rather write software programs. Been doing that for about 20 years... realized, nowadays, that I'd rather be an artist.

I still have the passion of science, software and art. For me, though, it's a matter of tempering it all. During the daytime, I write software and design 3D systems for neuroscientists. Once I'm home and taken care of the wife and kids, I'm at the easel or my drawing board. Someday, I'll be a full-time artist, but not today. It's a matter of deciding what's important and what I consider a full-filling life.

Yes, working on your art part-time will take longer than if you work on it full-time. However, there's no guarantee that, if you had all of the time in the world, that you would work on it full-time. I know for me, having the limited time helps increase my productivity. I don't have the luxury of time to waste when there are shows that I need to produce work for.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doug Hoppes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I know exactly what you're saying, and took a similar route, but my vision is totally different.

See, when I was entering High School I knew I wanted to be an artist, but my parents told me that, they thought that if I went to Art School, teachers would kind of "brainwash" me to make the art they think is "good art" and my art should be "free", so I should learn for myself in my free time while I get more conventional education... I don't know if they were right or wrong but I though it sounded reasonable at the time... so since I was 15 I studied art by myself, by reading books and practising a lot in my free time, and then got into Architecture in the university, and I'm about to graduate next year and get a degree in architecture; in the meantime, I had an illustration career and started working since I was 17; I'm 29 right now; and I can say I know everything that an art student would learn at art school and even more; and I learned it all by myself, I'm working part time as an art instructor and illustrator, I also paint and had some exhibitions with my art, and when I graduate, I'm gonna work as an architect and artist/illustrator at the same time.

My point is: if you love biology; you can make both careers happen!; I think you could study biology and also study art by yourself, and even work doing art in your free time; and when you graduate; you don't need to make a living from your art; you can work in biology while making art and getting better at it in your free time; and when your art career is safe enough, you can switch without the risk of failing.

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Saksida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    When you say that I should pick up some solid art history, what do you exactly mean? That I should study the way art and architecture have evolved throughout the ages and incorporate that? Just curious, I want to see if I understood correctly just.
    I just meant that it should cover everything from antiquity to contemporary. That sort of background is the best protection against narrow-mindedness, and absolutely all of it is potential inspiration for your own work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It could be much worse you could have paid for a degree in fine art from one of the many skills that just give you lots of bad theory and no skills Any way it is good to have your degree and have that option to make a living with. Many people find the enjoy art much more as a hobby or part time. But at least you will have the option of a good job to go along with your art IF you decide to go that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Academic training gives you critical thinking and writing skills, which you would not have gotten much of in an Art school.

It's the opposite for me. I am happy with a primarily academic education instead of an art focused education-this is because I don't need to go to art school to get quality art education; I just sign up for cheap life drawing classes and ateliers. I also picked a school that is next to a park, where I can go after class or in between classes to do watercolor studies. During the commute in the train, I sketch people-I must have done hundreds of them.

Being forced to be away from art, gave me more motivation to do it more often because time becomes scarce. It is, how you say, chewing gum is more delicious in school because you don't have much of an option on what to eat. There is also a bigger world out there than art, there are issues in the current world and drawing won't help you understand them any better.

I am 19 and have never been to an art school full time, in fact I am majoring in physics, but I can still draw better than most of the art students I have met who actually went full time at art schools; it is not the art education, it is your passion for art. Personally, I would finish the biology degree, it looks better than an art degree.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, I also studied biology, and never got past a B degree. At various times the past twenty years, the only way I could get a job was to omit my degree from my CV. Nowadays I work as grossly underpaid school teacher, perpetually on the verge of financial collapse. Unlike you, I have no ability in art either, and I am old enough to be your father.

I look through your sketchbook and I think that if I had an iota of your talent and ability, I'd be making money right now instead of complaining. Barring acts of God, you have your whole life ahead of you.

Youth truly is wasted on the young...

Vinicam is offline Five percent inspiration and ninety five percent transpiration. Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic was really cool to read... I'm also studying biology, but not as long as you did. I'm finishing the second year and had the same problems with parents not supporting an art career. In 2009 I got in an architecture course, thinking it would help me improve my artistic skills, and that it would help me achieve my goal of be and illustrator. In the end of the year I realized it had nothing to do with the type of art I enjoyed and them I left it in 2010. In 2010 I did nothing but worked in my current job(CAD drawing), not even saved some money, it was a complete waste of time. In 2011 I was forced by my parents to get a degree, and was also working, so I tought biology was a good course to study and work with...
    For the past 1 and a half year I was neglecting to draw seriously, but about 2 months ago I started drawing everyday and have seen so much improvement that can't think on anything else besides leaving the university and start some art classes and use the time I was studying biology to study art instead, to work as illustrator, got all the passion for art back. I'm almost 24 years old, and probably will quit my course this week and start searching for a good art school here in Brazil. My only problem is that I work full-time and have a car bill to pay, but I can manage to get a good amount of free time at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.