Where can I get Painter 6???
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Where can I get Painter 6???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Where can I get Painter 6???

hello everyone,

im about to buy meself a mac and im all exciteded, and a few weeks ago i saw painter 6 in action and i tried it and loved it, even though i only tried it for a very little while. i also heard some illustrators still use painter 6. but so far i can only find painter 8 on sale. is version 6 discontinued ;_; ?
    if not can anyone give me a link to a good, reliable and *ahem* "college-student-budget-friendly software store".
    i would rally appreciate any feedback regarding ppl who still use painter 6 regularly, i have painter 8 but i heard with graphic software the more the merrier. so any feedbackqould be greatly appreciated.
    thank yous

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    painter 8 does everything painter 6 does and so much more. do yourself the favor and invest in 8 and read the manual along with it. if you get six and get hooked on it you will perpetualy be behind the curve of cutting edge technology.

aj

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx android. time to save up for p.8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just buy a Wacom digitizer and get Painter lo-fi version with it. Then buy the P8 upgrade instead - you get all that comes with the full retail version.

Prices at amazon.co.uk

Painter 8 full version = 212

Painter 8 upgrade = 113

Wacom Intuos 2 A6 + Photoshop Elements and Painter Classic = 134

Total for Wacom + Elements + Painter Classic + Painter 8 Upgrade = 247

Both Computer Arts and PC Format (magazines) have given away Painter 5.5 full version for free, so if your lucky to find a back issue or used magazine, it will be very cheap to upgrade.

Last edited by Epoxy5; June 11th, 2004 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can occasionally find painter 6 on ebay for 30-50 dollars. i know a few people that have stuck with using 6 instead of upgrading(i guess for comfort and other reasons).

Last edited by seb; June 11th, 2004 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have v8.... want it ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for the offer soft, but ill just buy the upgrade. thanx for all the great info, cant wait to see you all in austin tx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Or, if you're a jewbag and you're not so nave as to think that a software pirate wears a peg leg and an eyepatch... you can peruse Kazaa Lite and download the program... but I don't advise doing so for two reasons.

1- It would make you a communist (oh, wait... I'm a communist... er... on to reason 2!)
    2- It is stealing in my opinion
    Made a 3rd! - It's pretty easy to get a virus or... worse... one of those nasty worms that forced me to write zeroes to my hard drive. And then spend about 24 hours redownloading all my files and updates to my MMORPG's (final fantasy XI has got a majorly HUGE set of updates by now, like a 10 hour download on DSL).

Nonetheless I beleive in the sharing of information for use by the discretion of others... and I'd understand if you downloaded a pirated version if you were having financial problems, because I know money can be a serious issue with some artists. I had some problems with financing too.

Myself I want to try getting this program, but I really, REALLY can't afford it... so I'm kinda stuck unless I can get one of those cheap copies off of ebay. Until that time I'll keep inhaling turpentine fumes and ruining my desk by slowly covering it with oil paint splotches. *sigh*

*** EDIT ***

I did some web searching, and you can download a 30 day trial of painter 8 at http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1047022721052 It's a 92 meg download. Not very huge. Hope that helps... I'm gonna try it myself

Last edited by CCCP-DeLux; June 12th, 2004 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just tried the trial version. I spent about an hour playing with it... it's really very cool. The demo, however... disallows saving your work... I might as well have vomited on a canvas, at least I would have gotten to keep the result, if I had even wanted to.

If you want to save anything you do, dont even bother clicking the link I gave you. If you want to try the program to see if it's for you, then go right ahead. But damn, what the hell kind of artist will devote any amount of time working in a program that FORCES them to throw away the end result because you haven't paid $300 for the full version?!

Argh, and I made such a pretty peice of work too, looked like poster art from the 60's. I think I'm going to go punt a midget... that will make me feel better . (kidding!) Guess despite my natural aptitude for it, I'll never get to work in Painter, it's a freaking shame too I could have done so much 1337 work with it >.<

Oh well, I'll stop whining now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this site does not encourage any pirateing of sowtware, especially painter,

Painter is the bread and butter of the conceptual art comunity , and they need all of our support, to stay that way.
    besides its worth every penny.

-CCCP-DeLux, please refrain for remarks like "jewbag" on tis forum,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want to "save" in the trial version, just boot up another program, and take a screenshot. Ta-daaaaa. Saved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My apologies for my use of words... I can be pretty crude at times.

As for the piracy, I disapprove of it as well, which is why you won't see me pirating painter or any other professional software despite my lack of funds. Perhaps I shoulda just kept my mouth shut about it, but meh... I have a big mouth.

Do any of you guys know if there is an older or simpler program similar to this that is available as freeware or shareware? I could benefit enormously from the ability to do artwork on a computer with this level of functionality, or even half of it for that matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no prob cccp- i can be really crude in person , but you never know who you will offend over the net,

for those of you coming to the workshop , Corel is a major sponsor, and we will have lots of extended demo and full versions of painter 8 to give away to attendees.

we will also have some copies to award to future thunderdome winners as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But surely most of those who are the type to win tunderdome, will have painter already...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually not neccesarilly I remember there was some artist who handed his resume done on lined paper with a ball point pen and got into an incredible art school. And now is doing cartoons for big hollywood movies such as "Ice Age". (I read about this at another forum) EDIT:Apologies if I was sounded harsh.

And to answer your question CCCPD opencanvas 1.1 is an excellent program (for freeware) I can probably dig up a link for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh thank goodness there IS freeware out there that I can use, thanks for the response... I'm eager to get to work on a nice digital composition, saves me the effort of scanning an image, and I don't wind up with paint splotches on my clothing that way lol. Plus, naturally in the computer age it's a good idea to be able to work on a computer. I'm looking for painter 8 or 6 on eBay, hopefully I can get a lower price for it there, I toyed with it for an hour or two and fell in love lol. Until then I'll look for opencanvas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well thanx you guys, ill be savin up to get my LEGAL FAIR AND SQUARE version of painter8. see u all in austin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do once in a while look up for a quick free software, not that im lazy to go get the actual one, i just can't pay for it. Tuitions = 16k/year for the upcomming 6 years, heh... i can't even afford a car. As if i'm gonna go throw my survival cash away for a program.

But if i had the resources, no doubt i would support companies so they can make better versions and support the digital community. I'm all for it, i just can't right now.

I feel bad saying that, i bet many people do pay for them. I just don't have the big job with tons of spares.

one day !...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    student pricing on programs are cheap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep. Look for student prices on the net. I got painter 8 for $99. You'll just have to fax em a student ID.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problem is, your Licensing agreement FORBIDS you to do any commercial work with an Academic License. It is for educational purposes only.

You can also download Creature House's Expression 3 for free now that Microsoft bought it. No time expiration or restrictions, it's a vector painting app, kinda a cross between Illustrator and Painter...

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Try this one out

Hey IMGLUE, have you looked at this:

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

It is not nearly as deep as painter, but it does have some nice features. It's also free! Did I mention FREE??!! Unfortunately, it is PC only.

This one has a lot more features, and it is still pretty cheap. Also PC only:
    http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm

If you buy a Wacom tablet, they give you a lite version of Painter. The one that used to come with it is better than the one that comes with it now. So, maybe if you could find someone to sell you a used graphics tablet you could pick it up that way. It should be legal, as long as they don't keep a copy of the software.

and, Here's a free Photoshop alternative:
    http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're a student, right?

psst, check it out.

Djeez, seriously. Guys, check out http://www.froogle.com/ and http://www.tigerdirect.com/ and those sort of online cheap superstores before you scout for old magazines or anything. Has anyone purchased Painter 8 from that place? It checks out as far as I see, but you want to make sure...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.