Life god critiques
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Life god critiques

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life god critiques

Hi everyone, this concept is supposed to be a god of life, i thought it'd be cool if it was a hairless cat, and supposedly surrounded by nature and stuff. Any and all critiques and advice are really appreciated, please be harsh. Thanks again

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yefim For This Useful Post:

Izi

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd expect the cat to have a stronger cast shadow over the cranes (right now the very strong contrast of the rocks in shadow and lit crane backs is pulling my eyes there, away from the cat) and the grass, the tilting of the waterfalls kinda bother me and the green reflected colour is pretty unnaturally strong considering how large and how high above the grass the cat is. Same goes with the blue light, the blue light doesn't seem to touch anything else in the image, which you may have tried for making the cat look deliberately unnatural, but I'm kinda "eh" on that if that's what you tried since the cat is otherwise very "in" the scene.
    Also having the hind legs to be absent looks also bit awkward, even though I know cats can do that.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A few things to comment. Mainly with the cat feeling out of place. Tiny touched some of what I was gonna say with the green and blue. But my version: One is the lighting in the environment confuses me with the figure. The stomach and underside of the cat has like a reddish glow to it. I'm guessing it's for contrast in the design but there's no sign of any source where it could come from. If it's the metal bracelets I don't think it would project that kind of light. The lighting feels a bit unnatural in that there's a strong blue glow up top then a warm shadow. But in real life it's usually the opposite in normal light. Warm light cool shadow.

Just dragged off any google image search.
    http://andyllama.typepad.com/photos/...chiandyben.JPG

Two. Might just be me but the cat feels out of place depth wise in the environment. Which is part the lighting. But the cat is really really detailed while everything else.... not so much. The trees in the back feel like foliage brushes slapped on. Blend them. Use some dark values to give some variety and depth. Normal bunches of trees have all sorts of values, plenty of darker ones. Then if the trees are farther back in the distance give some more depth cues with atmospheric perspective and such. You have to balance the environment with the main figure.

http://mirror-uk-rb1.gallery.hd.org/...trees-2-MY.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Overall, good image, although I would never get "god of life" from it without an explanation.
    Some notes:
    The cranes look like an afterthought, at least at this stage, and I'm having a hard time with the scale. I assume it's giant cat, regualr birds, but then the butterflies are huge relative to the birds, too, so they still look tiny.
    You need to do more to integrate the cat into the environment, that's another reason the scale isn't quite working. The textures and rendering are soooo different in the two elements. Maybe introduce some very subtle atmospheric perspective into the rear of the cat, either with color and/or brush handling/level of detail.
    I understand what you're doing with the transmitted light on the ears, but it's just not working. The red needs to be oranger and also toned down quite a bit. Check more reference.
    Both the cool top light and the green reflection on the cat are way overstated, it looks like the local color is shifting rather than like the effect of colored light sources.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why is super cool awesome cat in a Thomas Kincaid scene?

This is so awesome you did such a good job on the cat but the enviroment is just not exciting.

Maybe if you had some other animals surrounding him waving palm fans and holding trays of food like he was on a throne, and some critters like mice bowing and scraping before him....it would make more sense....

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good rendering, indeed.

The lighting could be clearer, though. It's hard to understand where the light is coming from, and some parts appear inconsistent with other ones: for example, the backlit ears don't match the lighting on the cat's back, there is some direct light on the cat but none is apparent in the background, the green reflex on the cat's belly is no brighter than the belly itself, and so on.

Try to make the composition work in grayscale before you paint in color, it can help to sort the values and lighting out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spotted this in your sketchbook, Yefim, and had to come comment.

It's a great piece and I havent got much to add to whats already been said. Though, I'm wondering if the disconnect between the cat god and the environment is because of the hard edges all round the cat's body? Maybe softening some of them would help it blend in better with it's background.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is very cool!

However the fact that the cranes are all facing the same way makes them look like a stamped pattern and makes the scene less alive. I would orient some of them differently to liven it up.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely picture so far man, very nice.

People have said most of what I have to say so far so I would certainly address those issues. The one thing that definitely strikes me the most is that the focal point of your image - the cat - has the least texture. Everything else has really great, lush, earthy texture but the cat is too smooth and digital which makes it very jarring.

I would soften up the tattoos as they look like overlay shapes at the moment rather than pigments on the skin. I would also add some texture to the cat's skin. The type of cat that you're referencing's skin looks a little bit like chicken skin, with lots of little bumps where hair follicles are. They also have a very soft downy fur a little bit like a baby which makes the surface of their skin very matte and in some breeds can tint the colour slightly. I think adding just that little bit of roughness to the skin texture and reducing the reflectiveness of the skin would help tie everything together.

Here's a couple of pics to better explain what I mean:

http://petscatinfo.com/wp-content/up...hynx-cat14.jpg

http://petscatinfo.com/wp-content/up...hynx-cat16.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Inca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks alot guys, your critiques and input really help!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.