Left / Right side brain. Logical and Creative

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Left / Right side brain. Logical and Creative

Just Interested in what people indulge their right /left side of their brain in or however you like to put it in.

Such as I personally used to love to go to art gallery's drink wine and talk about how the artists use of the fish-bowl lens effect on the rail-road tracks was an abstraction of my life and when I did just sit and paint bob ross style landscapes and create 3D things out of paper mache with my kids or anything creative and philosophical. Also just making Naruto and manga fan art as a hobby type thing.

But I also like programming with my friends drinking a beer and thinking logically about how each function is going to work and working on a* path-finding or linked lists. Having fun with physics and pretending I know linear algebra and trigonometry. And also game related stuff like headshots in Blackops (not sure if thats creative or logical maybe just entertainment)

But the reason for the thread is what do YOU indulge both sides in.

hmm I don't drink so much any more btw lol.

Last edited by Xopher; August 21st, 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: bit too intro theready
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So it's an intro thread?

Uh...hiya?

The left/right thing isn't real, by the way. But the topic always brings to mind the one Ripley's story of the little girl who had half of her brain removed due to a virus, but is able to function very well because her body was able to adapt.

Sorry for the crappy video, it's all I can find.

Cool story. The announcer's right about it sticking with you.

Last edited by Psychotime; August 21st, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "But the reason for this thread is what do YOU indulge both sides in."

Here's the response Psychotime...
    I was confused a bit myself^^

Read "The new drawing on the right side of the brain" and you will get an answer.
    What do we have to care about isn't if the left/right thing is real or not for me.

The real important thing is the *concept* of believe that you indulge your right sided brain into you drawing.

Or that you indulge you favorite pet, your girlfriend or one of you favorites artist's mind or a pink pooney or whatever....

The real important thing is to have a *reference*. A reference that you believe in, to motivate you in drawing.

And BTW this book is soooooo much useful I recommend it a lot, that's NOT a bunch of weird exercises for your "right-sided" brain but one the best drawing exercises book ever I think.
    I have to find the book, i've just lost it lol... xD

I keep trying to learn how to draw since I was 3 years old... except that I just understand that I have to pratice and that's all.
    BTW i'm a french native speaker so my english can be really bad... I apologize...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt mean it to be an intro thread might have to edit some out because im not supposed to post intro stuff here, I more just meant what do people enjoy that is creative and do other enjoy say something more logical aswell like for example some say I like art and I like doing accounting etc and why.

But the left/right stuff is interesting as well. I should tried be more clear just wasn't sure how to write it. I realise you can be both creative and logical at same time such as programming is actually very creative even an art when you're thinking about it ,but its perceived as a more logical thing than say painting your dreams.

Id just love to hear what people find interesting in both types of thinking. And if they have an interest that is the opposite of their creative side, like as another example (not a real one of mine) but say I create abstract steel sculptures, but I also enjoy chemistry and how the elements work.

Last edited by Xopher; August 21st, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    The left/right thing isn't real, by the way. But the topic always brings to mind the one Ripley's story of the little girl who had half of her brain removed due to a virus, but is able to function very well because her body was able to adapt.
    Reminds me of when people get their corpus callosum severed (the part between the two halves of the brain that directs messages from side to the other) due to medical reasons such as epilepsy. In scientific tests they were told to look at a word with only one eye at a time, so part of the word was unable to be seen. When asked to speak the word, they could only speak half of it because what the other eye saw wasn't able to be transmitted to the other side of the brain that controls speech. Ditto goes for writing it. They know the full word but they aren't able to communicate it properly. Real interesting stuff.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Moving to Lounge. This isn't really art Discussion.

Xopher, please provide more clear posts and put them in the right areas.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh kinda lost it, but talking to my gf about how to write it ended up in an even more 40 min long convo so I think ill leave it be lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "drawing on the right side of the brain" is pseudo scientific nonsense (theres been some arguments about that > use search function if you feel like it).

draw if you like to, or dont. theres no secrets to it other than practice and effort put into acquiring different concepts. "use the right side of your brain" at least to me is not really helpful since i 1) wouldnt know how to not use the left side 2) dont see any benefit in shutting 50% of my resources down deliberately.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.