First lanscape, need help to improve

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First lanscape, need help to improve

Hi there, I tried to make my first landscape but I'm not convinced...
    I haven't managed to make a good rendering of rocks maybe I don't use good brushes or settings and also maybe the perspective is wrong but I didn't realize... So if someone can help me it would be great. Thank you

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 21st, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that you have to work on the mountains volume and perspective. When I look at these mountains, the right ones seems really 2D for me...

About the colors, try to add some variations. Purple is great, but this color is supposed to come out the "sun" or big light spot in the background am I right?
    Cause the entire landscape look to "purplelysh" to me. Try mix some blue, brown, grey in the shadows...
    Otherwise, look at the door and the things in front of the light spot. That's a major way to add a nice perspective to your landscape and you don't use it, or you use it the wrong way.
    I thing that the thing around the doors will fit better in the axe of the landscape. They break the perspective construction of the entire painting.

Otherwise, nice start!
    Keep it up!

I keep trying to learn how to draw since I was 3 years old... except that I just understand that I have to pratice and that's all.
    BTW i'm a french native speaker so my english can be really bad... I apologize...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasbat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. Did you have any references for the rocks or textures?

Don't worry too much about having the right brushes. You would be surprised
    at what you can achieve with just a simple hard round brush.

Worry more about being able to recreate the texture, surface and shapes of the
    rocks. Rocks are easy to study as you can normally find some lying around
    somewhere. Try doing a life study of a real rock with a light source set up
    to see how the light and shadow plays across the surface.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasbat View Post
    I think that you have to work on the mountains volume and perspective. When I look at these mountains, the right ones seems really 2D for me...

About the colors, try to add some variations. Purple is great, but this color is supposed to come out the "sun" or big light spot in the background am I right?
    Cause the entire landscape look to "purplelysh" to me. Try mix some blue, brown, grey in the shadows...
    Otherwise, look at the door and the things in front of the light spot. That's a major way to add a nice perspective to your landscape and you don't use it, or you use it the wrong way.
    I thing that the thing around the doors will fit better in the axe of the landscape. They break the perspective construction of the entire painting.

Otherwise, nice start!
    Keep it up!
    Yeah thanks, that's a critic ! That's right, the purple that comes out of this light is too excessive, I tried to put some brown but not enough ...I'll try to put these things in the axe of the road maybe?
    So I have to go to study mountain !
    Thank you Jasbat ! I'll rework it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HabchiYoussef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Not bad. Did you have any references for the rocks or textures?

Don't worry too much about having the right brushes. You would be surprised
    at what you can achieve with just a simple hard round brush.

Worry more about being able to recreate the texture, surface and shapes of the
    rocks. Rocks are easy to study as you can normally find some lying around
    somewhere. Try doing a life study of a real rock with a light source set up
    to see how the light and shadow plays across the surface.
    Thanks Star Eater that's what I expect of the forum!

No I didn't have any reference, I tried to work from head, .

Ok I'll do that with a real rock, I've noticed that the texture of the rocks is pretty random, I should probably work more in detail the rock texture, light and shadow and more logically the montains dimensions.

Thank you for your great advice !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HabchiYoussef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, you will fit in just fine around here.
    Looking forward to seeing more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HabchiYoussef View Post
    Yeah thanks, that's a critic ! That's right, the purple that comes out of this light is too excessive, I tried to put some brown but not enough ...I'll try to put these things in the axe of the road maybe?
    So I have to go to study mountain !
    Thank you Jasbat ! I'll rework it
    Yep dude, put the things in the axe of the road cause the road i'ts the center of you composition.
    Already the things ruin the perspective feelings that you can created without too much efforts, pretty easily I think.

Looking forward to see more...

I keep trying to learn how to draw since I was 3 years old... except that I just understand that I have to pratice and that's all.
    BTW i'm a french native speaker so my english can be really bad... I apologize...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasbat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankfully you were here guys, I'll continu posting to improve myself

I followed your advice and I quickly reworked some things, what do you think?

Thank you both, you are great guys, it help me a lot !

Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 21st, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muc better, but I still say that the mountains on the right are too much 2D. Check out the top of the mountain, I think your supposed to draw curve start from the mountain's top to the soil, if you wanna fit in your perspective construction.

May you have to stronger the basic lines of the mountains a bit to give a more "rocky" feeling, without destroy your great value and nuances work.

Las thing, we can't say the characters walked around the landscape... if you insert characters in your landscape they usually supposed to be the subjects of the painting.

Actually, they don't deserve anything, until that at least they are well draw... show these characters!
    I personally (but that's my really humble opinion^^) that the better place for us is the center of your painting, in the direction of the light.

But if you tell us the narration of your painting, then you will help us to help you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasbat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasbat View Post
    Muc better, but I still say that the mountains on the right are too much 2D. Check out the top of the mountain, I think your supposed to draw curve start from the mountain's top to the soil, if you wanna fit in your perspective construction.

May you have to stronger the basic lines of the mountains a bit to give a more "rocky" feeling, without destroy your great value and nuances work.

Las thing, we can't say the characters walked around the landscape... if you insert characters in your landscape they usually supposed to be the subjects of the painting.

Actually, they don't deserve anything, until that at least they are well draw... show these characters!
    I personally (but that's my really humble opinion^^) that the better place for us is the center of your painting, in the direction of the light.

But if you tell us the narration of your painting, then you will help us to help you.
    Thanks Jasbat, your critics are very constructive.
    In fact there is no real story, I would say that it is a kind of procession...
    I'll rework it with your instructions and testing placing the characters in the middle.
    I'll try to reconstruct the mountains but I think without no real studies I can't do really... I find it difficult to slot the mountains into each other...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

This is a good start! my enviros sucked terribly when I first posted in here and indeed some still do lol. The guys have mentioned the perspective issues and the textures of the rock so I will not go over the same ground again, but I will rattle on about the story.

Looking at the image I have no idea what the narrative is here, is there a town over the hill? is it a religious ceremony? a sacrifice? a portal to another world? who knows there is nothing in the image that tells me the isolated idiot viewer what is going on.

You have to assume with these types of illustration that thick heads like me are going to look at them and you need to use some kind of artistic device or something to help me understand what you are showing me.

Like they said in that classic RUSH song "show me don't tell me"

I hope that helps to point you in a good direction and I hope it gives you something new to think about, Finalyl I wish you all the very best with the image.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    Hi matey

This is a good start! my enviros sucked terribly when I first posted in here and indeed some still do lol. The guys have mentioned the perspective issues and the textures of the rock so I will not go over the same ground again, but I will rattle on about the story.

Looking at the image I have no idea what the narrative is here, is there a town over the hill? is it a religious ceremony? a sacrifice? a portal to another world? who knows there is nothing in the image that tells me the isolated idiot viewer what is going on.

You have to assume with these types of illustration that thick heads like me are going to look at them and you need to use some kind of artistic device or something to help me understand what you are showing me.

Like they said in that classic RUSH song "show me don't tell me"

I hope that helps to point you in a good direction and I hope it gives you something new to think about, Finalyl I wish you all the very best with the image.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to give me an answer to my drawing, I really appreciate!

It's true that I haven't really thought about what is this light and these people do, I think a ceremony, something like that.

Maybe I should have added architectural element with the light or some statues along the road for the scene be more explicit?
    Thanks again dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For my next drawings i'll thinking more to the story and what I want to tell, thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reworked some things, I think I will not be able to do better without studies of rocks and mountains

Last edited by HabchiYoussef; August 22nd, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think its a great start to your time on the forums. But you are right, studies
    of real mountains and rocks would be the way to push future
    landscapes even further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I think its a great start to your time on the forums. But you are right, studies
    of real mountains and rocks would be the way to push future
    landscapes even further.

I find this drawing much better than before, your help is great, thank you, I hope I can still improve some drawings with your great advice on this forum !
    Thanks again Star Eater ! I Think it's time to study now !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.