Just played

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just played

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Just played

I just finished farcry 2. It took me about a month to finish it. I've just been playing a couple hours every couple days. For such a long game they sold it short. You can tell they were taking the time to develop it right and then rushed it through the final stages. But it's still a fun game. Any game where I wind up blowing everything up and setting everybody on fire every mission is a good game. Too bad they left out a quick travel system and you can't save whenever you want. The roads are long and I averaged at least 2 skirmishes just traveling between locations. Another thing that held it back was the undercut storytelling. The story is pointless and nihilistic. All the voice actors rush through the dialogue and mumble in thick accents. It was as if they wanted to get it over with, because nobody cared. For the most part I'd just go to the mission location, reign chaos and then figure out what the damn objective was supposed to be. I can't complain too much about a game that I bought for $10 and was a month long tactical rampage.

I can't wait for farcry 3. That game looks like they learned from their mistakes storywise. I just hope they keep it an open world arson fest.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just started to play again Vindictus (Mabinogi heroes) one of those free to play mmos, i really don like that kind of games. The gameplay of games like World of Warcraft and his clones is boring as hell, but Vindictus is fast paced-action rpg oriented, so it is really fun.
    The bad part is, i dont have almost time to play, and the game is Korean, if you catch my drift. xD

"Every champion was once a challenger who refused to give up"

Sketchbook

Deviantart

Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished playing Darksiders: War, this weekend.

Pretty solid game in every aspect, and a huge respect to the Art team.

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lester the Unlikely. Yeah, it's bad. I just wanted to see how far I could go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just gave up on Deus Ex:human revoloution. The game was pretty good in spite of the lame ass main character. He really reminded me of a shit knock off of Neo. The game has a good balance between open world and linear narrative, but the subject matter is just so up it's own ass. The gameplay is great, but the boss battles are the turd in the punch bowl. I had to give up on the third boss. I looked up a walk through on it to see if I was using the wrong strategy and nope, That battle just sucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got a new decent computer so I can catch up on all the games I've been missing. Played through Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Story was good enough, sort of what you'd expect from a super hero game. But gameplaywise it was really fun.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't play Arkham Asylum. But I though Arkham City had an amazing story. This isn't saying much but I thought it blew any other comic based video game out of the water and far surpassed most AAA games in terms of story telling. I'll go even further and say it was even better than Dark Knight Rises. I thought the aesthetics were a little tacky, but that's a matter of taste.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; September 23rd, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really need to play Arkham City. I played Arkham Asylum years ago. It's decent (though kinda short) but that game's main detriment is that it's basically Metroid, but with Batman. The mechanics feel right. The gadgets, hiding in the shadows, fighting crooks, that's all there. But the thing that holds it back is that you're in a closed world where you explore room to room. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's not what you want from Batman.

It's possible that it was their experimental stage to perfect the mechanics before moving it into an open world, but either way, Arkham City is supposed to be EVERYTHING you'd want out of a Batman game, to a T. And having played the first, I'm not surprised with all the praise the sequel got. It only needed one change in environment and exploration to be one of the greatest licensed video games of all time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I played a bit of Borderlands 2 with a friend. Seemed good. Not OMFG THIS IS GODLIKE. As some people portray it. But it's good.

Personally.... despite a lot of hate from the old fans I'm waiting for Resident Evil 6. It's more actiony yes. But I liked it. Playing with a friend online especially. 3 stories each 70% as long as RE5, might be a hidden singleplayer campaign if not more hidden stuff. Chris' story is action, Leons is the classic RE but some people it wasn't up to snuff and Jakes was a mix.

The problem with people judging the demo is just that..... it's a demo. Play the first stage of RE4, it's just killing a bunch of villagers in one area. Not exactly suspense thriller. RE games in general have been more actionish. Then with the actual story it makes sense for it to be moreso because shit's evolving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh sweet dear. This looks amazing. Too bad I don't own a PS3. It's hard to believe it's running in real time.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; September 24th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- It's a great game, but the controls could have been tighter.

Oniken- Also great, but it's not something to be played on a keyboard.

Rosenkreuzstilette FreudenStachel- Judging by the demo, I have to say that Womi has done a great job and will suggest that you check it out.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished KoA: The Reckoning. I got it only for the armor/weapon designs, and I don't regret it - they are brilliant! The gameplay was pretty good too, only complaint are the way too many side quests.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I didn't play Arkham Asylum. But I though Arkham City had an amazing story. This isn't saying much but I thought it blew any other comic based video game out of the water and far surpassed most AAA games in terms of story telling. I'll go even further and say it was even better than Dark Knight Rises. I thought the aesthetics were a little tacky, but that's a matter of taste.
    Well. I'm not saying the story was bad or anything. It was solid writing. But I can't say I exactly felt mind blown by it either. It was super heroes battling super villains, doing their usual thing. And the plot twist towards the end when you found out who the real mastermind behind it all was felt kind of... pointless. It's also a bit hard to feel something when you see a comic book character die, because you know they're probably gonna show up later one way or another anyway. And of course, every woman in the game/batman universe is super sexy and flirting with batman. And yeah. I agree about the aesthetics. But it also managed to look really good at the same time, so...

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I just gave up on Deus Ex:human revoloution. The game was pretty good in spite of the lame ass main character. He really reminded me of a shit knock off of Neo. The game has a good balance between open world and linear narrative, but the subject matter is just so up it's own ass. The gameplay is great, but the boss battles are the turd in the punch bowl. I had to give up on the third boss. I looked up a walk through on it to see if I was using the wrong strategy and nope, That battle just sucks.
    Well, the boss battles were actually out-sourced to an another company.

FLT is a pretty neat game, in the vain of Star Control.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That makes sense, because those boss battles didn't match the rest of the game. The rest of the game put an emphasis on good strategy, but the boss battles put an emphasis on just shooting allot. You'd think creating a great boss battle would be a game designer's bread & butter and the tedious open world stuff would be exhausting enough to outsource.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started playing L.A. Noire. The interview scenes are frustrating the hell out of me.

Someone asks a question, and then I have to choose whether that's true or false? Then someone makes a kind of vague statement, and I doubt they're telling me everything, so I click "doubt". Then the guy goes "you're lying! I know you killed my grandmother and her cat fanny and all her friends too!" I feel like I have to keep clicking the "truth" button to keep the main character from doing anything stupid.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Played to almost the end of one campaign in Resident Evil 6 with a friend. I don't understand all the negative reviews. It seems people just went based on the demo and nothing else. "It's an action game, it's not Resident Evil anymore". The same whiny bullshit and people who complain about everything from 4 and up.

So far one of the funny things is there has been some creepy shit in RE6. Rolling through a subway tunnel that's misty/foggy as fuck, barely making out silhouettes of zombies until they come running up and jump at you. Creepy shit. Also it's so far pretty difficult, I'm playing with a friend in co-op there's not a lot of Health lying around, you stockpile then "Oh look I just went through that like it was nothing". It's only on normal difficulty and has 2 higher settings and already died several times just from having no health. Legit deaths, not stupid shit.

Enemies move fast and they come out of nowhere. I've watched my friend just walk a little in front of me then enemies just run up on his blindspots constantly. adds far more tension than the older games 4 and 5. The older resident evils past that were tense simply for one reason. The camera's and controls were limiting and sucked. You were helpless so it made it tense.

There's plenty of action don't get me wrong. Ridiculous shit happens too. But that's like me saying Metal Gear Solid 4 sucks because Raiden stopped a fucking titanic by himself. It's awesome and over the top. But who gives a fuck. To each their own I guess. But so far I've enjoyed it a lot. Goes to show you don't count on other peoples opinions, because they're just that...... .... opinions.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lately I've been playing Donkey Kong Country 2 again, still love it.

I'm THINKING of looking at a guide to get 100% completion, but until then I'm just doing the best I can to get DK Coins from each level without it.

So far I've only gotten enough Kremkoins to unlock Jungle Jinx.

Cranky is sometimes completely useless. Only occasionally will he give you a hint to where a DK Coin is (which I thought was his job), most of the time he just points out hidden banana coins! What's the point of that? And remember, you PAY the guy for his hints!

I really wonder what kind of tech Rare used for those games back then. Whatever it is, Nintendo couldn't imitate the look very well when they re-released the trilogy onto GBA with new levels and bosses. And the graphical "tweaks" they did to the original games to port them look like total crap, anyway.

Last edited by Psychotime; November 10th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got back into the two Kirby games for the Wii (Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland) and have to say that they're still great. First to discuss, Epic Yarn...

I have to say that I find the game's aesthetic to be quite nice with its usage of texture. Good Feel did an excellent job on that part, but that's nothing when compared to the game play. It may not be like the other platformers, but still enjoyable with a great balance between quantity and quality. Here's hoping that Good Feel continues making games of this caliber.

Now for Return to Dreamland: Magnificent mix between Kirby's Adventure and Super Star. While it is one of the best looking games I've seen, it didn't have the 2.5 effect that Kirby 64 had. That, of course is just a minor gripe considering that it's not about graphical prowess. On the other hand, I think they could have elaborated on the plot/setting a bit more.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd try a series I never bothered with, so I started playing the original Paper Mario, because despite the N64 being my least favorite console, there are some games from it that are on my list. But after 48 minutes of play (I checked), I think it's amazingly boring and unimpressive, I seriously had to keep from falling asleep as I beat the first boss.

And given how much I LOVE Super Mario RPG and the Mario + Luigi series, the latter being one of my favorite games EVER (seriously, play the original GBA game if you haven't. It's one of the best games on the handheld). I had legitimate hopes, but the gameplay is just so sluggish and the combat is so un-involving.

But I decided to give it some more time, because there's gotta be more to this game than what I had to wade through to fight the first boss.

And at least we get something like the Koopa Bros in the next chapter. So Super Mario RPG parodies Super Sentai/Power Rangers, while Paper Mario parodies the Ninja Turtles.

EDIT: Why does it take so long for you to unlock action commands? Couldn't that have just been part of combat from the very beginning? You know, the same way it is in EVERY other Mario RPG?

There! Now combat's automatically less boring. I had to play for over an hour to earn that? What the hell were they thinking?

Last edited by Psychotime; November 26th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boooo. I loved Paper Mario. Wouldn't change a thing. Personal preference I guess.
    On another note playing Dark Souls.

It's as brutal as they say but in a good way. Makes you feel great for achieving simple shit or finding a decent item where death is all around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Boooo. I loved Paper Mario. Wouldn't change a thing. Personal preference I guess.
    My opinion changed the second I got Kooper and the action commands. Now it's more like what I was expecting.

I'm still lost on why I had to play an entire hour before the combat gets interesting and I find a teammate that's useful.

Without action commands, this game is plain boring.

That certainly isn't to say that RPG's WITHOUT a similar mechanic are boring. Absolutely not. I LOVE turn based RPGs like Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy series. I'm just saying that PAPER MARIO is a boring game without it.

And just because an RPG requires you to use timed button presses for attacks doesn't make it automatically fun. Look at Sonic Chronicles. An AMAZINGLY mediocre game that just drags on an on...That's a perfect example of how you can screw up otherwise awesome ideas. I mean the game even had TEAM ATTACKS and made Eggman a playable character, and the result is still bland. I could complain alot about Sonic Chronicles.

EDIT: To knock out another N64 game on my list, I decided to try Yoshi's Story. Now, I loved Yoshi's Island. I don't like Yoshi's Story. Knocked out 3 levels and one boss, and I'm not feeling up to playing any more.

EDIT2: Beat the Koopa Bros. I take back what I said 100%. Paper Mario is just fine. Not the best Mario RPG, but decent. I'll make sure to beat this one.

I still don't like how you needed to put in an hour of play just to get action commands.

Last edited by Psychotime; November 27th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your only at the Koopa Bros it gets better and better. Then sequel for Gamecube is amazing as well. The Wii game that came out after is ok, still good, not quite the old formula though. Wish I had a 3DS for the new one coming out. The 3D capabilities with the paper thin style would work amazingly think I saw a Chain chomp partner too which is awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    If your only at the Koopa Bros
    Nah, I just got Bow on my team yesterday. Haven't used her in a fight yet, hopefully she's decent. I'm cruising through this game right now. 8 and a half hours in, and the best partner characters I've seen so far are Kooper and Bombette. They're great.

One of the draws of Paper Mario is the fact that they make partner characters that are "good" versions of classic enemies. It's amazing how they don't seem to have any interest in bringing them over into other series.

You know the ONE thing that sucks about the New Super Mario Bros games? The fact that players 3 and 4 have to be generic Toads. Not even the many distinct ones they've made already! After SO many characters the series has established, they go with them? Heck, you couldn't just do the Wario Bros?

You'd think the new 3DS game would be a perfect fit for Wario, given the gold all over the place.

EDIT: Just beat Tubba Blubba. Bow's above average, I guess. Her smack attack is fun to watch, at least, but of course the real kicker is how she grants invincibility for a turn. Truth be told, outside of the gimmicky enemies like the ones that appear at Gloomy Gusty Gulch when she joins you, I don't find it particularly useful. Still can't compete with Bombette and Kooper.

Bombette is seriously the best partner.

1. She cuts through defense like a hot knife through butter.
    2. She can blow up a field of ground enemies after leveling up.
    3. She's a freakin' Bob-omb. That's awesome in itself.

If I could organize all my current teammates by usefulness:

1. Bombette
    2. Kooper
    3. Bow
    4. Goombario
    5. Parakarry

EDIT: Aw man, I'm in the Shy Guy Toy Box, and I'm getting my ass kicked left and right. And that's just the normal enemies! I'm not even talking about Anti-Guy! Forget that guy!

Last edited by Psychotime; November 30th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished playing X-Com enemy unknown. Hadn't even heard about the game before, until I saw it was on sale on steam. Really fun take on the turn based strategy genre.

Also got Sonic Generations, also on sale. It's a bit laggy on my lap top in some parts. Which I'm guessing is because of bad optimization for the PC, because I don't really have any problem running other games. It's pretty fun so far. But the story elements and side characters make me feel like I'm stuck in a really bad cartoon show. Lucky they're not a very big part of the game.

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a 8 month hiatus from video games this year after playing too much Dungeon Defenders. I wanted to play something last weekend but could decide between going back to play Hard Reset, starting finally starting Red Dead Redemption, or Bayonetta. I think I will start Hard Reset this weekend since I'm feeling too lazy to set up my xbox.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    15 hours into Paper Mario. Got Watt and Sushie. Anti-Guy was a breeze the second I got Watt. Once you paralyze him, just rush him.

Anyway, I'm stuck at Lava Piranha, which is pretty tough, but I'll beat it soon enough.

Now that I can up my partners to Ultra Rank, it's kinda hard to choose which ones to get. My characters are all Super Rank, and so far I've only found two upgrades, which I spent on Bombette and Watt, but I think given I'm stuck in Mt. Lavalava, it would have been smarter to spend it on Sushie (apparently she gets a water-type area attack, which would have been useful for Lava Piranha's second form) and someone else. Maybe Goombario, I don't know.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 7th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Paper Marios one of the games i still have letft complete in box and haven´t sold, and if no one pays me enough for it trough december i might as well keep it just for memories because i loved that game, i like it way more than Mario 64, which aged kinda badly as the majority of classic n64 games did imo.

Ogre Battle and Majoras Mask were kinda hard to let go. Those 3 games were the best of the N64 collection for me and the 3 that to this day hold the best,( and Ocarina of time too but i think Majora aged better) They are also the most pricey as collectables which is good for me

Last edited by JDSart; December 7th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Currently at Huff n' Puff, and at this point I have to say that Paper Mario is a moderately difficult game at this point. I like that!

Got the final partner, Lakilester, and he's pretty weak. Gotta level him up with the rest of the crew before he's useful in a fight. Shame, because his introduction made his character seem fun to have around. Only half of the partners have any personality.

On the partners, it looks like the farther I go the more and more the game forces me to use all of them, which is evidence of good design, in my eyes. I called Bow gimmicky when she first joined, but the designers force you to use her ability against the boss' specials at this point. It's a case of "We gave you this power, and you're damn well gonna need it to win!" There have been many points where Bombette and Kooper have been utterly useless due to different enemy types I've had to trifle with.

I really underestimated this game, and I'm very happy to learn that.

One thing about this game that can be particularly frustrating is the item limit. I'm a serious packrat in these types of games, so a good chunk of the time I find an item, and refuse to use it, constantly telling myself that I'll "Save it for the next boss fight." and then I fill up VERY quickly, and have to throw stuff away before progressing.

It's one of those things that makes me mad everytime it pops up, and yet I have to give the game points for doing it at all. Seriously, 10 items is already pushing it for the amount of items Mario can stuff in his overalls, and it forces me to stop one of my own habits.

It's funny how such a light-hearted RPG would actually put a meager limit on the amount of items you can walk around with, where the majority of the genre doesn't care at all!

Squall Leonheart can stuff 99 Black Holes in his pocket and STILL have tons of space left, and Mario can only carry about 10 or so items at a time.

I remember Super Mario RPG getting me with it's item limit as well (which forced me to THROW AWAY THE ITEM MARIO NEEDS TO GET HIS ULTIMATE WEAPON, which I was unaware of the first time I played it), but it takes alot of packrat-ing to reach it, and the majority of the time you won't even notice there IS a limit. You'll only get to it if you overload yourself with items from the store, thinking you're being smart by buying so damn much.

I've really got some hopes for Thousand Year Door and the two other games, now. But I know that Super Paper Mario is nothing like the original at all.

Last edited by Psychotime; December 7th, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I´ve played recently (just played, not playedtrough) Dark Souls, Sonic Generations and Darksiders

Dark Souls, i hated it then it started getting interesting, is a good game wiht dificulty spikes that piss you off but nothing seems so unfair, i want to get pissed at the game when i die but most of the times it is because i messed up or did somehting stupid that maybe other game would have forgiven but not this one,the game´s dificulty seems very deliberate and not because of cheapness in design but still is not really the kind of game most people can pick up and have fun. I´d like to see more bosses and stuff, it does feel rewarding when you advance but can´t say i wouldn´t just abandon it at some point.

Darksiders is probably the one i´ll end up installing to play it trough, yes, it is a hibrid of god of war, prince of persia and maybe zelda, but what it borrows are good elements and the game is really fun. When a game is done well it doesn´t have to reinvent the wheel, just make for a nice time.

Sonic Generations was a nice surprise, considering how bad sonic got it is kind of a miracle they pull it of and finally got around making a decent game. PLaying the first 2 levels is the best sonic experience i´ve have had since Genesis days. Even the 3d gameplay is much improved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.