Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: ChOW#300 :: THE MONARCH OF DUALITY

Thanks
    ...ideas generating ideas!

New sketch!
    Similar characters, and after more sketching, I'm happier!

Keep the updates coming!
    Last edited by jsn; August 26th, 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Updating!
    Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Gonna try this one, hope I can finish in time.

The idea is civilization/nature, east/west kinda thing. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic.

Thanks
    Life and Death, both reaching out across the divide, because life and death are cyclical opposites, death gives rise to the new and all that. I thought of them circling each other but then I thought that would be a fairly predictable yin yang composition, so I thought I'd just do a classical painting type thing. I want the whole thing to look a little medieval and macabre (not overtly horror, just a underlying thing)

I want to know if Death looks silly not wearing any underwear, is it relevant or am reading too much into that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    David keen
    Nice start I think you can make her hands a bit smaller to give her a even more feminine look. Perhaps let the light from the fire affect more on her upper body. Maybe ad some small folds on her upper body to of show the material in the cloth more.
    Sulk-Sal
    civilization/nature interesting take on the subject.
    Rhdnor
    As you say looks a bit medieval. Can bee very cool

Going for the duality between an open mind and a suspicious mind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JanJager: Those are looking awesome, keep it up! the little monkey head dress is great!

Rhdnor: Your death concept is looking a little bland as just a skeleton in a cape maybe if he was dressed up in regal finery that was worn through and tattered.

Sulk-Sal: A neat idea, i'll be interested to see how it develops.

jsn: Your latest sketch is reading much more clearly. Since you're going with an elemental theme try and really push the concept, you can make your water figure much more dynamic and your earth figure much more abstract rather than trying to stick with human anatomy and static poses.

Metallurgist: I think your war concept is a little to abstract to really come across as war, you might consider giving him like a suit of armor something jagged and aggressive looking and then sticking him full of arrows and swords and spears etc.

Sseal: I like the kind of playing card-esque look of your composition, although at the moment the position of her leg looks pretty bizarre in relation to the rest of her body.

Forrest_I: I'm digging the fins and the shells and the sea-life on your water figure but the armor on your fire dude feels a little detached from the concept itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BozoTheClown View Post
    Dranyer I love those silhouettes. How quickly do you draw one of them?
    I try not to spend more than a couple of minutes on any one silhouette.

more sketches... narrowing it down a bit. (1-4 Magic/Science, 5-8 Fauna/Flora, 9-12 Physical might(body)/Mental fortitude(mind), 13-16 Past/Future)
    Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

8. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Holy crap Drayner, those sketches are fantastic... number 13 is working for me in a big way, but then again so are the rest of them. Also loving 5, and 15 looks like he could wrestle a grizzly bear.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jussslic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dranyer
    Forrest_I: I'm digging the fins and the shells and the sea-life on your water figure but the armor on your fire dude feels a little detached from the concept itself.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can't change that. I was trying to go for a whole like fire forges metal and armor for war kind of a feel. And a water is more calm and natural kind of a feel, but I see what you mean.

ChOW#300 :: THE MONARCH OF DUALITY

Thanks
    @Forrest_I
    I gotta agree with Drayner, the fire guy's armor seems really divorced from the central concept. What if you make his armor out of some kind of like igneous rock? Or obsidian? Or magma? Keep playing with it.

@Jsn
    Definitely an improvement. Before it looked like two monsters trying to duke it out Godzilla style, but this very much brings across your ideas in a less distracting manner.

@Metallurgist
    War is looking pretty beastly. He seems like he could definitely benefit from some metal blades or something coming out of him somewhere to really liven up his silhouette and add some violence to him. As for peace... I don't know, maybe some doves? A bunch of broken arrows?

@Sseal
    I LOVE the pose. Its so elegant and so brings across your point. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

@Sulk-sal
    I like the concept but the design isn't really coming through for me. Just a thought: how about you add some industrial elements to the "civilization" guy and maybe remove some of the civilized garments from nature girl? I'm not saying make her nude, but maybe look to some Native American tribes to see more "natural" garb? A thought.

@Rhdnor
    Looks like we've got the same concept! I really like the classical painting way of bringing it together, so cool.

@Drayner
    Holy well-developed-concept-through-sketching Batman! I really like all of them except the flora/fauna concept, and the only reason I say that is because they're both very "nature" oriented themes and aren't really opposites (also I think conceptually it won't be as interesting in the end). Other than that, go nuts! Great work!

So here's where I'm at. Definitely done more work on the king than the queen at this point. Still got to add her vines and so forth. I like the juxtaposing of the poses, both reaching for the viewer, one with grasping claws and one with welcome hand. The concept hopefully is coming through well enough. Your thoughts? Really going to have to hustle on this one since I won't have the weekend to do it... Yikes!

-Dread_Reaper
    Last edited by Dread_Reaper; August 27th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sigh, needs more creativity, pretty cliché everything lol.

Everyones elses is looking great though, cant wait to see the final thread, going to be such a good read lol

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    @Rhdnor
    Looks like we've got the same concept! I really like the classical painting way of bringing it together, so cool.

Damn I shoulda paid closer attention to everyone's concepts and done something different. Thanks for being so cool about it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhdnor For This Useful Post:

Thanks

lover/fighter

hi
    it has been some time but i finally decided to enter another chow.
    really intresting topic these weeks. i choose the line "im a lover not a fighter"
    so here are the lover and the fighter.

Thanks
    Crap! I have no idea if this is going to look good or not. I haven't even started designing my frost diety yet.

David Keen/Dread Reaper - Thanks guys. I'm currently adding a charred effect on parts of her body, to sort of give the impression of some type of outfit, but it's experimental at this stage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhdnor View Post
    @Rhdnor

Damn I shoulda paid closer attention to everyone's concepts and done something different. Thanks for being so cool about it.
    No worries buddy! I'm actually glad to someone else going this route as well: I love different interpretations! Best of luck to you friend, make it a good one.

@Scatch
    I like your efforts so far, but I am having a really tough time getting the "fighter" girl. When I think fighter I think of a fighter's pose, weapons, something to imply violence. This waif of a girl seems to be totally calm and non-threatening, with nothing visible to imply she's capable of violence under that giant jacket. Its still early enough to really try push the concept a step farther to make it stand out.

@Christoffer
    That's a definite improvement, however I think how you render out the garments, etc is really going to sell it. Any ideas? What about like cooling magma if you don't want to do just plain old fire? A thought...

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast