What is and what isn't - Part - I
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What is and what isn't - Part - I

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is and what isn't - Part - I

Dunno if this belongs here or in the lounge sub-forum butoh well. I read something here(or maybe somewhere else) some time and I wrote something based on what I read and my own personal experiences. Now I know that reading is something you may or may not be fond but I'd love to get your views on it.
    Note: It may be a bit crude and biased, since it's written from my perspective.
    ''This was just a general observation, not a rant.''

Having said that, I feel like this note is conveying the wrong message. By this note I am not stating that I am a victim and there's nothing I can do about it. I have acknowledged in the opening lines of the piece that I was at fault for thinking along those lines and now have a different outlook to the whole thing (and am now working hard to get the level I want myself to be at).

Facebook Link : https://www.facebook.com/notes/baron.../4224244692076 (It's public, so everyone should be able to read it)

For those who aren't on facebook :-
    *As perceived by the Author

'It’s been clear to me for some time but up until now I was sure that if I write about it, I would sound like I was blaming the system, blaming someone else and not admitting that I too was at fault. But the more I think about it now, the less I seem to care.

As I listen to ‘Clint Eastwood’ by the ‘Gorillaz’, I find it easy to drift in the river of memories as it takes me back by a decade or more. I see flashes of Arkanoid, Packman, Alley Cat and Dangerous Dave on the screen of an old Monochrome monitor. What happened thereafter seems more or less like a blur. I became addicted or so my parents put it at that time. I am sure my many of you can relate to it. Most, if not all, parents were of the opinion that games ‘fry’ a student’s brain, makes them more prone to violence and so forth. My parents were no exception. My mother would do any and everything she could do to drag me away from my Nintendo and later on the game parlors (fancy word for what they were). My father was of the opinion that if I didn’t excel at Mathematics, Physics, Biology and chemistry, I wouldn’t amount to anything. But this isn’t the time or the place to rant about my past.

My point is that most of us did face this scenario at home where anything not strictly academic was shunned. Games were considered nothing more than recreational activities which a child may be allowed to indulge in once or twice so that he/she may return to their studies ‘refreshed’. ‘Art’ classes were given a bit more importance since they were included in the school curriculum but nevertheless faced a similar level of indifference. Of course this wasn’t the case everywhere, exceptions were there but the general attitude was the same everywhere.

My rants aside, my parents did have a slight change of heart later on when they saw my interest in the ‘I.T Field’ (as they used to put it) and later (when it seemed that I’d have it my way or the highway) did allow me to pursue (albeit reluctantly at first, I think) my interest in the gaming industry. But I am afraid that I’ve let my personal feelings on the subject to waver from the subject at hand. My point being that most of Indian students didn’t have the same level of parental or institutional support when it came to Art, as enjoyed by those in the American or European countries.

Now why was I stating the obvious? The answer is simple enough: Because it is obvious. Furthermore it becomes painfully obvious when an Indian student, such as me, goes abroad with the intention of ‘eventually’ (this being essential in my case) seeking admission in an art university. I am by no means implying that Indian students are as clueless as I am, some of them are brilliant but that’s mostly because of that fact that they did whatever they could and overcame the odds. I personally know a few students and artists back in India who are brilliant, bloody brilliant, but like I said, they are who they are because they overcame the odds.

Coming back to the core topic, what I’ve seen is that there is a considerable difference in the skill level of students. I’m not talking about the level of the students after their studies, but of the applicants. I was looking through the various portfolios of students who’re currently ‘studying’ illustration in the institutions of their choice (Sheridan/OCAD/etc.) and it seems to me that, skill wise, the applicants (many if not most) are more or less par with the graduates back home in India. Again, this may be a very biased and very crude comparison but this is based on what I’ve seen so far (which may be far from the whole picture).

While most of us were told to ‘draw’ the apple or some other subject from an art book without being properly guided on what and how to do stuff, students here would be taught about perspectives, value, etc. Now that I am trying to hone my skills (as little as they maybe), these things are becoming painfully obvious to me leaving me in a metaphorical limbo, doubting whether or not I’ll be able to follow this path.

I guess this is it, for now.

Baron Out.'

Last edited by Baron Flame; August 19th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Desperation is sometimes as powerful an inspirer as genius.
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Being really passionate about something would mean coming back to it again and again and again even though half the time it's frustrating or grueling or yes, even tedious... When there's something you just can't let go of in spite of the fact that it's driving you nuts most of the time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is your point?

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In order to fully grow up into an adult human being you have to understand that your parents were human, they did what they thought was right, and that it's time to put that behind you and take responsibility for the actions you will perform for the rest of your life. Life is unfair to everybody in some way. Some people don't get support from their parents. Some people are born blind. You were dealt your hand of cards, it's time to stop feeling bad about them and learn how to play them.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    What is your point?
    No point just a general observation, thought I'd share it with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    In order to fully grow up into an adult human being you have to understand that your parents were human, they did what they thought was right, and that it's time to put that behind you and take responsibility for the actions you will perform for the rest of your life. Life is unfair to everybody in some way. Some people don't get support from their parents. Some people are born blind. You were dealt your hand of cards, it's time to stop feeling bad about them and learn how to play them.
    See the thing is that this thing is by no means a rant. I could go ahead and do it but I know that were the circumstance a bit different thing wouldn't be the way they are, maybe they would've been better, maybe worse. This was just a general observation, not a rant about how I or other have been mistreated. This is just a general observation, the general outlook the society had when I and my friends were still in the teens and so on.

---
    Being really passionate about something would mean coming back to it again and again and again even though half the time it's frustrating or grueling or yes, even tedious... When there's something you just can't let go of in spite of the fact that it's driving you nuts most of the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...

I come to CA for a break and find two threads in a row where people talk about what they should be doing instead of actually doing it.

Is there something in the water today?

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Life is unfair to everybody in some way. Some people don't get support from their parents. Some people are born blind. You were dealt your hand of cards, it's time to stop feeling bad about them and learn how to play them.
    This. Absolutely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Candra H View Post
    Wow...

I come to CA for a break and find two threads in a row where people talk about what they should be doing instead of actually doing it.

Is there something in the water today?

This. Absolutely.
    Like I said, not a rant. Just because I wrote about something that sounds like a rant, doesn't mean that I really am ranting about it.

It’s been clear to me for some time but up until now I was sure that if I write about it, I would sound like I was blaming the system, blaming someone else and not admitting that I too was at fault
    When I stated that in the starting I admitted that I was at fault for having a 'blame society' outlook. Not so now, I spend hours working on my weaknesses everyday, trying to get to the level I want myself to be.

Maybe it was mistake posting this, I had no intention of coming across as a crybaby.

Last edited by Baron Flame; August 19th, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
    ---

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Now I know that reading is something you may or may not be fond but
    Note: It may be a bit crude and biased, since it's written from my perspective.
    ''This was just a general observation, not a rant.''
    As I listen to ‘Clint Eastwood’ by the ‘Gorillaz’, I find it easy to drift in the river of memories as it takes me back by a decade or more. I see flashes of Arkanoid, Packman...
    What is up with the Lounge today?

Last edited by Psychotime; August 19th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    What is up with the Lounge today?
    Now you've got me thinking, if posting this was a good idea. :|
    Now how do delete a topic. 0.o

---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny I had the same situation at home and went into IT programming as ART was a hobby not a profession in my family's eyes, Its not until recently that my son started to wow his teachers and then as soon as he started grade 1 was upset that drawing was less important than ABC or 123.

Made me think back, and now I want to let him know he has to learn all that math and english, but let him know its ok to become an artist if he so wishes and I will fully support him in his decisions

It reminded me that I myself had a love for Art and now am trying to get back to it and facing the same issues with having to go back to the basics, if its in your blood so to say I guess it will always be a part of you.

I hear people say in other threads give up you obviously don't have the commitment but I don't see that at any stage in your life If you want it bad enough it possible you can achieve your goals, even if its a personal one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Xopher For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't ask for it to be deleted. We all post threads that sometime we wish we hadn't, including me (I think I have some 0 reply ones somewhere that I could delete, but won't). Learning to articulate yourself is in itself another lesson. Everyone has regrets and what ifs, just don't them grind you down.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, just try to make your point more clear next time. Think about what you want to accomplish with your post and communicate to other people, maybe run the post by some friends first to see whether you are getting your point across without having to explain further. This post isn't that bad as far as posts go, it is unlikely to affect how people think of you.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.