Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Advice, Stuck,How-To, Arghhh!

Thanks

Advice, Stuck,How-To, Arghhh!

I myself, posted 1 (maybe 2) many of these and become more confused when I was told to use the search box (which I didn't) oops.

The basic answer I got is 'JUST DRAW' ( 'oh hell he said it') but the truth is

"IT WORKS"

I found the real teacher is me, each mistake I make is something learned that wont happen in the next piece,
    because my last drawing is teaching me how to approach
    the next one,in essence teaching MYSELF and everything drawn that actually worked, is a new weapon in my arsenal
    practising making a library in my head and hand.

I found that like learning to hit a target
    with a ball, knowing the trajectory and physics of it will improve knowledge, but I can hit a target by just
    throwing it till it hits the bullseye repeatability without being a scientist.

I would like to mention another issue of depression and health problems even disorders such as ADD.
    I know that the suffering artist is a well known stereotype such as Van Gogh but its definitely not a prerequisite for the creation
    of art and if it is: Well then I am off to go BANG my head against the WALL and see if I improve.

Some may thrive with it artistically but I am not one of them, so I myself took my own advice and seen a doctor but finally I CAN CONCENTRATE NOW.

And since I watched every tutorial( and I spent $ and crap loads of time doin it ) in the past and was misguided by how easy GREAT
    artists make it look, such as thinking 'its just a box' or 'the highlight goes here' and 'the stick man isn't even drawn right'.
    When actually putting pen to paper and seeing that my lines weren't smooth and my box was out of perspective and combining
    shapes is quite hard, not to mention the fact that my gesture work was the basis for how dynamic my end figure would look.

Putting pen to paper was the answer all along. So now 'I JUST DRAW' nothing worth posting, just sketches on top of sketches
    I even grab a bigger pen and go over top of that, and it 'FEELS GREAT'

EDIT: reduced size of rambling

EDIT: was sermon like I agree , tried from my perspective to read a little better, had to remove the part that vineris addressed, but atleast its in this thread.
    Last edited by Xopher; August 19th, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Removed "READ to the END before clicking back button ;) " -Asking people to read to the end is a asshole move
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Maybe it's because the sun hasn't risen over here, yet, but I have a hard time seeing the point of your post.

The worst part is how you actually ask people to sit through it, which is just smug and conceited. I make long winded and pointless walls of text all the time here (It's fun!), but I know it'd be an asshole move to not only expect, but to essentially DEMAND for people to bother with my pointless ramblings.

EDIT: Ok, you edited it.
    Last edited by Psychotime; August 19th, 2012 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry you feel that way, I hope at-least somebody will benefit from my experience as it helped me and I wanted to help anyone that felt the same way. I may have come across as DEMANDING because I was excited the the time of the post, my use OF THE CAPS BUTTON was not meant as shouting but just to outline certain points, I apologise that you found it as in your face and pointless.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    I might almost say your post partially amounts to "Stop Whining, Start Working" http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223223
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Yeh basically same thing just from my personal perspective gained thankfully through the help of people on this site, I just wanted to pass it along. But I seem to come across badly with most my posts lol, feel like I am talking to my mother having to explain myself all time but I guess my sense of humour translates as arrogant or something, when its meant to be honest and hopefully helpful :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    I may have come across as DEMANDING because I was excited the the time of the post, my use OF THE CAPS BUTTON was not meant as shouting but just to outline certain points, I apologise that you found it as in your face and pointless.
    No no, it was just the lines you removed. I use caps for EMPHASIS sometimes, too. I think it looks better than bold, italic, or underline.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    I do know that hearing your question answered when you yourself post it, does give a better kick than just reading
    somebody else's post ( as it did me) and that is why so many ask the same questions.
    The problem is that answering the same question over and over frustrates the expert. Once answering questions stops being rewarding for them, they stop. More often they decide that you're incapable of doing basic research and so helping you is a waste of time. Either way you lose out.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    The problem is that answering the same question over and over frustrates the expert. Once answering questions stops being rewarding for them, they stop. More often they decide that you're incapable of doing basic research and so helping you is a waste of time. Either way you lose out.
    Definitely true and part of the the reason why I have tried to answer some of the questions myself and help others in the process.

I'm not an expert but I know the problem and was helped past it, I think if people don't whine and are thankful to anyone that does answer them and not sarcastic when things don't go their way, most will be helpful if they can.

EDIT: just want to add that this post is from others help about just getting down to it and draw, not just something I came up with and I posted it because I seen the frustration of experts repeating themselves

Thanks
    You know, I didn't read the op because it comes across like someone telling me what I should be doing, not what they've discovered and their excitement about that.

Sharing what we learn is nice but not when it reads like a sermon. And if I spent my time telling others what I think I know, I'd never get anything done.

P.S. Xopher, have you started a sketchbook yet? I looked but couldnt find any art by you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Candra H View Post
    You know, I didn't read the op because it comes across like someone telling me what I should be doing, not what they've discovered and their excitement about that.

Sharing what we learn is nice but not when it reads like a sermon. And if I spent my time telling others what I think I know, I'd never get anything done.

P.S. Xopher, have you started a sketchbook yet? I looked but couldnt find any art by you.
    Yeah your right, I think it has come off that way unfortunately.

But when I was told it from asking, it came of as being told to just go away and draw, I thought saying it as someone that was told it and trying to explain that its a helping yourself kind of thing actually works it would help.

But yeah nobody likes to be told what to do without asking for the advice in first place, should of realised that.

Haven't got sketchbook up yet no, I had explained in the post first time that most what I been doing is just drawing over and over my own work, just to understand where I am at and where to improve, I'm hoping to get some stuff up and if its any good try and contribute some video tutorials when I'm at that stage that I'm no longer looked at as a noob

EDIT: will try improve the readability, thanks.

Thanks
    Haven't got sketchbook up yet no, I had explained in the post first time that most what I been doing is just drawing over and over my own work, just to understand where I am at and where to improve, I'm hoping to get some stuff up and if its any good try and contribute some video tutorials when I'm at that stage that I'm no longer looked at as a noob
    Um, I draw my own work over and over. It's how I learn and get better, and I'm certainly not shy about posting it in my sketchbook.

Take a chance, make a sketchbook thread and join in the community for the fun of the learning, not for some idea about getting to "tutor" stage. Who gives a fuck whether you can make a video tutorial or if you think you can teach others? Isn't your own learning curve more important to you?

Not trying to be an arsehole with any of this. Just trying to break you out of your current thought process because it seems like you've got things all back to front. You need to stop thinking and talking about your art and what you want to do with it, and just go fucking do it! And good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fair call, its 4am here but I will try get something up when I'm actually awake.

Thanks
    Unless you post your art nobody is going to take your advice seriously. The way most of us judge if a person is capable of giving sound art advice is by checking out the person's work (preferably in your signature). The quality of the work determines how much weight your opinions hold.

It puts people off when somebody is full of opinions about making art but you can't find any example of their work, or you really have to dig for it. Sometimes it turns out they do good stuff, but more often not.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast