Facing Learning Block - How to overcome?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Facing Learning Block - How to overcome?

Since I found that I lacked in traditional training, I bought some good courses as we don't have art schools here. Courses like Drawing basics, hovercrafts, cars etc by Scott Robertson. Some free lessons from CTRL+PAINT, And some books to learn on my own.

But after about 1 month I am starting to disappoint a little and haven't exercised for a week now. Something like a feeling that I am hopeless.

Is it just a temporary learning block or should I force myself to do the practice.

Also most of the books and courses etc do give very good understanding of basics but as soon as I want to draw something complex like a car, aircraft or a character I have no clue what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

By one month I mean, I specifically dedicated to learning drawing, I have been trying on and off for about 2 years now without any good results. Don't know what I am doing wrong.

Last edited by NajamQ; August 18th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hm, it's kind of hard to give you advice because you're not giving us a lot of information.

If I had to guess though, it sounds like you were trying to absorb too much at once, burned yourself out, became upset that it wasn't going fast enough, and gave up. One month is not a very long time to be working at this - you need to see this as a long-term journey, not a crash course that you can master in a few weeks.

Start small and focus on improving yourself in a specific area. Learn to draw purposefully and accurately from life, then learn to deconstruct objects to draw from imagination. If you can't draw simple geometric shapes well, you won't be able to produce complex machines. You can't expect to automatically be able to draw a car or aircraft from nothing - research the subject, understand it, do studies of it, break it down into simple recognizable shapes that you can easily recreate from scratch, and then try to draw it yourself from nothing. But even then, don't expect it to be amazing on the first try; you'll probably need to go back to your source material to compare and check your results, learn from your mistakes, and do it again. This process may seem long and tiresome at first, but as you develop as an artist and improve your mental library, it will become easier to understand and recreate new subjects.

In regards to your current block, my advice is to start forming a long-term habit - today. Sit down and draw for one hour minimum. Just do it and get it out of the way, every day. As you get used it and get into the daily habit, expand it little by little, from one hour to 3 hours to however many hours a day you can spare.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    OP. Let's ask you something. Do you think you're the first person to have this problem or do you think there are sticky threads that may be addressing this issue?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Hm, it's kind of hard to give you advice because you're not giving us a lot of information.

If I had to guess though, it sounds like you were trying to absorb too much at once, burned yourself out, became upset that it wasn't going fast enough, and gave up. One month is not a very long time to be working at this - you need to see this as a long-term journey, not a crash course that you can master in a few weeks.

Start small and focus on improving yourself in a specific area. Learn to draw purposefully and accurately from life, then learn to deconstruct objects to draw from imagination. If you can't draw simple geometric shapes well, you won't be able to produce complex machines. You can't expect to automatically be able to draw a car or aircraft from nothing - research the subject, understand it, do studies of it, break it down into simple recognizable shapes that you can easily recreate from scratch, and then try to draw it yourself from nothing. But even then, don't expect it to be amazing on the first try; you'll probably need to go back to your source material to compare and check your results, learn from your mistakes, and do it again. This process may seem long and tiresome at first, but as you develop as an artist and improve your mental library, it will become easier to understand and recreate new subjects.

In regards to your current block, my advice is to start forming a long-term habit - today. Sit down and draw for one hour minimum. Just do it and get it out of the way, every day. As you get used it and get into the daily habit, expand it little by little, from one hour to 3 hours to however many hours a day you can spare.
    Thank you for your valuable advice, I think you are right about consuming too much at once and causing a burnout. Personally I believe the main role in this frustration is those speed-paint videos on the internet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ask yourself why you want to do this?
    And do you actually want to...

Anyone can draw and there no such thing as a learning block even if supposedly someone told you that having amalgam in your teeth(if you have any) is causing mercury poisoning that halting the development of more neural pathways or that you can't learn anything past 20 years of age... All that shit is psychological.

So if you really want to draw then draw , if you don't then don't and go learn to do something you actually want to do.

Otherwise practice every day and draw and stop being overly negative or critical of your own progress.
    People draw for the sake of creating stuff they want to create or expressing something :
    So if you have any ambition like that beyond the "I just want to make lots of money" then think about what you need to get there and just do it, and accept that doing it is harder than it looks and requires true dedication.

About drawing vehicles, characters and whatever, you need to be able to draw the basics shapes first:

Pickup a book that actually teaches the foundations instead of trying to jump ahead with all sorts of Gnomon tutorials.

Goodluck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LightandDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    OP. Let's ask you something. Do you think you're the first person to have this problem or do you think there are sticky threads that may be addressing this issue?
    You took time to write this post and yet you chose to pull my leg as always. Anyway, sorry about a repeat question, may have been around already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you didn't miss a week of drawing, you'd have resolved some of your issues by today. Now you have to go over that month again. This stuff is extremely perishable. Even masters have to warm up after just a nights sleep. If you can't draw, then force yourself to draw, but don't stop, whatever you do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you @LightandDark and @BigDay your words have given me confidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NajamQ View Post
    You took time to write this post and yet you chose to pull my leg as always. Anyway, sorry about a repeat question, may have been around already.
    Mostly because I knew of 3 threads off the top of my head that address these things, and ironically they're on this forum. Go and read them, they've been stickied for a reason.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Mostly because I knew of 3 threads off the top of my head that address these things, and ironically they're on this forum. Go and read them, they've been stickied for a reason.
    I am extremely sorry for not reading those thread prior to creating this one. i hope you'll forgive me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chrissakes. . .

Perhaps "General Forums" should have another sub-category:

"Motivation, Boredom, Laziness and Whining"

Then all this "stuff" can be moved to the new forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice is only for people like da Vinci, Van Dyke, or Waterhouse... you know people who weren't born with the ability.

Dreamers want to get good at doing something. They sit around all day dreaming about what they want to do. They can't ever seem to understand why they don't get any better with all of the work they dream about doing. Do-ers do the work and they do get better.

Everything has a beginning and a ending. If you read a book and jump to the end it won't make sense. The alphabet needs the abc for the xyz. Art needs the basics before the advanced.

Go DO the basics.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    Practice is only for people like da Vinci, Van Dyke, or Waterhouse... you know people who weren't born with the ability.

Dreamers want to get good at doing something. They sit around all day dreaming about what they want to do. They can't ever seem to understand why they don't get any better with all of the work they dream about doing. Do-ers do the work and they do get better.

Everything has a beginning and a ending. If you read a book and jump to the end it won't make sense. The alphabet needs the abc for the xyz. Art needs the basics before the advanced.

Go DO the basics.
    You do realize that the OP has been a CA member since 2008, has posted 17 threads re "how do I get started, etc." and has about TWO pieces of art in his SB?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know at some point we should auto-lock discussions of users who keep frequenting here "asking how to start" "how to read a book" etc.. instead of drawing.

I'll do that right now.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 19th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.