Feedback please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Feedback please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feedback please

Hi all.
    I have just finished this piece. Its 16" x 23", acrylic on paper. If you have a second to give me some feedback be it good or bad i would greatly appreciate it.
    I added the grungy effect on the background in photoshop but everything else is on the original painting.
    Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nicely rendered with lots of intricate details and pretty solid anatomy - this is a great image! There are just two things bugging me right now - the face and the bg. The face could use a bit more work, particularly the nose, and the mouth doesn't feel like it's parallel to the eyeline (because the whole head is tilted to the left except the mouth). For the background, I think it's calling a little too much attention to itself right now. I think the texture could handle being a tad subtler and that really bright upper right corner is really distracting. Oh and kind of a minor thing, but the sword's tip ending right at the top edge of the image is kind of a distracting tangent - I'm curious if you cropped it down to that point or just ran out of paper in the original painting?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What references did you use for this?

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat, thank you for the feedback. Really appreciate it. Ive always had a problem with noses lol. I must have painted this one a dozen times hehe. See what you mean about the background and yes, i ran out of paper for the sword lol.

Artimatum, ive started photographing my own ref material for use in my paintings. This is the shot i used for this...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, there was something else I kinda wanted to say about this. I think the image feels a tad unfocused because you have so many bright/shiny points throughout the painting that are fighting for attention (like that corner of the background but also the bracelet, the metal thing on her breast, very bright light on the hip and arm from the side, etc). I think it would help if you created a kind of hierarchy with the most important area (ie the focal point) at the top, and subdue the less important areas to create a more harmonious and readable value structure.

Awesome ref btw, that's a great shot.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lips and nose are out of alignment. See ref.

Your pic, her left hand lacks any wrist indication. See ref.

Her right shoulder's too prominent and large in size. See ref.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks OK...my immediate thought is that I like the reference photo a lot better than the painting. It seems like it'd be easier to just Photoshop over the reference image and get some kind of large-size print than spend the time to redraw it on paper, especially since you're basically tracing the photo anyway.

The other thing you might want to consider is the lighting on the photo. All the dark areas on the model--hair and clothing--are merging into the dark background. If it were me, I'd put a spotlight on the wall behind her so the edges of the forms didn't get lost. Similarly, I'd add some kind of soft frontal light so the details in her hair and clothing don't drop off to black the way they are now. (Or, for the next one, you could just shoot a blonde in a white dress. )

As always, just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant thank you all enough. I want to improve to the best i can be so your comments and feedback is very much appreciated. Cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 1