Building a PC from scratch; motherboard help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Building a PC from scratch; motherboard help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Building a PC from scratch; motherboard help?

I'm planning on building a PC for 2D illustration, because it sounds like it has the potential to be cheaper, and also I like learning to do new things and ~diy projects~, and could really use the improved PC knowledge instead of being "durr whats goin on" when something bad happens. I have no plans to learn 3D software like Maya in the near future, and I only play games occasionally, but all I can find is recommendations for hardcore gamers haha, and while I don't want just the bare bones (that's what I have right now, basically), I feel like that's nonetheless maybe a little overkill right now for a 2D artist. All I want is to be able to run photoshop cs5 with OpenGL (I like the rotate tool!) without it lagging, and work comfortably at resolutions like 10,000x10,000-- not common for me, but I recently had to and it was horrible. Bonus if I can watch some netflix at the same time, or at least run iTunes (yes iTunes. no I don't need a lecture), because I'm spoiled.

I'm currently using a crappy little toshiba satellite laptop with a 2.2 Pentium processor and 3 GB ram, and a nearly-full harddrive. Gets the job done, but it's not ideal at all haha. I realize an upgrade wouldn't be hard to find at all, but I'd like something powerful enough to last me a while-- I'm a student; I can't afford new computers very often!

I've just started reading up the past week or so, so sorry if I say something dumb; try to bear with me xD I probably won't be in a secure enough place to afford to start buying parts for another couple of months in any case, as I have a move planned, so I have more than enough time to learn more.

Here's what I have so far:
    -1 TB HDD, possibly with room for a second (I'm an insane media hoarder okay, and a packrat when it comes to my PSDs) and possibly an SSD harddrive for use as a scratch disk, though these will probably be added sometime down the line.
    -Leaning towards full ATX case just because of the above (not too many mATX cases with room for 3HDDs?)
    -8GB ram, at least to start with
    -intel i5 2500k processor (3.3 GHz, 6 MB Cache)
    -Room for at least 4 USBs, hopefully more. I have only 2 right now and it's absolute torture.
    -support for two monitors!
    -dedicated graphics card? I NEED THIS RIGHT? I'm thinking NVIDIA? Input is more than welcome here too.
    -and don't worry, I know not to skimp on the power supply.

Input on the above would be super helpful, but what I'm really hung up on is what motherboard to pick! A little hand holding here would be super helpful and I have some questionsss:

-I'm just totally lost on the chipset ahhh. And everything! There are just way too many variables for me to be able to search effectively
    -what might I need expansion slots for? I've only ever used them for installing more USB slots on an ancient piece of machinery haha. I really can't see myself needing more than 4 unless I get new information, so maybe a mATX motherboard would do, even though I'd probably be installing it in a full ATX case? DUNNO THOUGH, HELP-- would that rule out any of the other parts I'm considering?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can get a good Mid Tower for about 50-70 bucks. It's sufficient for your specs so far.

Either Cooler Master or Antec are good for the price.

Go with a full ATX motherboard don't go with a micro. I can fit mine in a mid tower just fine. Asus, and Gigabyte brands are my top choices. I also heard EVGA is good too. I like Gigabyte because I tend to find more features for the price.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1