Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts

    700 Terrabytes in a gram

    Oh science, you just keep going and going. I still remember floppy disks.

    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-a-single-gram


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:


  4. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    948
    Thanks
    1,090
    Thanked 356 Times in 246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    I still remember floppy disks.
    yeah, and not copying those floppys


    but damn, that is amazing.

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    2,128
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Wow.

    Can't wait for the future

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 84 Times in 56 Posts
    2012... I was expecting anti-gravity by the year 2000, and extensive space exploration by 2010.
    We´re going too slow.

    (It´s still awesome anyway)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 122 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sady View Post
    2012... I was expecting anti-gravity by the year 2000, and extensive space exploration by 2010.
    We´re going too slow.

    (It´s still awesome anyway)
    haha. My wife and I were talking the other day about why concept cars suck compared with the real versions. We concluded that at least half of the reason why we are even still driving cars is because of government regulations and the big business interests that drive and control them. Air/space regulations, roads, safety regulations, and on and on and on, have all kept us driving around in cars when we would likely be floating or flying around....much to the benefit of oil interests and their friends.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to jetpack42 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    here and now
    Posts
    651
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 152 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42 View Post
    haha. My wife and I were talking the other day about why concept cars suck compared with the real versions. We concluded that at least half of the reason why we are even still driving cars is because of government regulations and the big business interests that drive and control them. Air/space regulations, roads, safety regulations, and on and on and on, have all kept us driving around in cars when we would likely be floating or flying around....much to the benefit of oil interests and their friends.
    Are you talking about people driving flying vehicles in place of cars? Please dear God no...most people can't drive worth a damn in 2 dimensions. I shudder to think what would happen in 3...
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    We have to wait until we've made the earth inhabitable, then we'll build all our houses in the sky miles and miles above earth and use flying cars for transportation because the surface is poisonous.

    http://robertacucchiaro.files.wordpr...02/jetsons.jpg

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 84 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    We have to wait until we've made the earth inhabitable, then we'll build all our houses in the sky miles and miles above earth and use flying cars for transportation because the surface is poisonous.

    http://robertacucchiaro.files.wordpr...02/jetsons.jpg
    I always wondered why they never go down to the planet´s surface. Probably because of things too unnatural to show in a cartoon.


    Also, I wish for anti-gravity vehicles, but hell no for private flying cars for everyone. I don´t want a ton of metal flying through my apartment window.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 271 Times in 199 Posts
    Read/write speeds on data stored in DNA are limited, to say the least. This isn't going to replace normal hard drives. However, it is a way to back up data very securely, and very densely.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Imagine what that means for video game technology.


    ...And illegal downloading.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,502
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Oh science, you just keep going and going. I still remember floppy disks.

    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-a-single-gram
    You realize this is just making the coming singularity happen quicker than originally thought don't you?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    This discovery doesn't freak me out until they start wiring it to deal with actual human biology (as in together with flesh and blood) as far as I get this is synthesized storage. But how this person and how that person use a new discovery branches into all sorts of shit. We've already gone into the Jetsons level of tech in many ways. We can video chat with anyone all over the world with a little phone. I remember when I was little thinking that was impossible. Who knows what people will use this for with out of the box thinking we never thought was possible.


    There is some tech where you literally think "Good lord, they're doing things you see in science fiction movies". Stuff where they're actually dealing with the human mind and tech is what bugs me a bit.


    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...sensitive-data

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    2,364
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    You realize this is just making the coming singularity happen quicker than originally thought don't you?
    See, this is what the Unabomber was trying to warn y'all about.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

    [Of course, disfiguring and killing people with homemade bombs sort've undermines a guy's credibility. . .]

    700 Terrabytes in a gram
    Last edited by Kamber Parrk; August 18th, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.