Otis college of Art and Design?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Otis college of Art and Design?

Hi all.

Well, as the title suggests, I want to find out if anyone has any opinions on the Otis school of Art and Design in Los Angeles.

I'm relatively new here and I'm researching a good school to go to. My only problem is that I'm a working shmoe, so it has to have night classes....

Thanks all
    Marc

BTW. This is an awesome forum you've got here. Lets hope I can contribute at some point

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gots the perfect respnse:p

Well, I've visited it and it seems like a good school, until you go to * trumpets play * * bum..ba.ba.buuumm...* ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN. Sorry for doing that, I just love art center. U should definetely visit both of these schools. IMO otis is good, but Art Center is better. They also have what you're looking for. Its a program called Art Center at night. Its nothing but night classes. you could check out there site at http://www.artcenter.edu

But these schools deserve a walkthrough. You can call and ask for a tour of the school. Take some of your stuff along also. Make it a school visitation day

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, I looked at Art Center's website but didn't manage to find the night course section.

I'll definitely give em a look.

Thanks
    Marc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to Art Center at Night, and it's cool, but if you want a degree, you have to go full time in the day unfortunately. Some of the night classes transfer, so that you can basically be done with the first semester before you go full time.

If you want to see the schedule on the website, go to Special Programs, and then you'll see the Art Center at Night classes. I've taken a few different classes, well worth the money. I plan on going full time some time next year.

By the way, I don't think Otis has part time classes either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah they do. Also night and weekend classes. Both look extremely good.
    Art Center is more expensive though, so that must mean something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can consider taking classes at pasadena city college as well. it's substantally cheaper than art center at night and several of the instructors have either graduated from art center or are involved with the night program. it's a good choice if you're not really sure what type of art or design you really are interested in and you want to invest some time taking foundation classes.

you can also check out cal state long beach, the la Academy of Fine Art, associates of art.

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, so is Santa Monica College (much cheaper that is). Maybe I'll get the basics out the way at a cheaper place and do the advanced stuff at one of the premier colleges.

Cheers
    Marc

by the sea, in the north, on the west, below the white bears
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

im from canada, eh

well, my g/f is attending UCLA and im thinking of joining her in LA...but from what ive looked into UCLA has namby-pamby fine arts/modern schmarts classes. plus its expensive to boot.
    the schools 'y'all' mentioned are great starting points and much appreciated, but what i want to know is how to logistically get into the states, hold a job, and eventually attend some classes. i wonder if anyone has, or knows of someone, who has migrated from canada or out of country...

i know its vague. shot in the dark really.

Last edited by ATOMICsizePENCIL; January 16th, 2003 at 02:29 AM.
    "Trust Yourself"

Arin Ringwald - Student of Illustration and Design

www.dabble.dream.cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi wazzo

I've moved here from South Africa, and you don't get much further away than that .

At the moment I'm still looking into schools and trying to figure out how to finance this whole operation. Plus I'm working 10 hour days (at Digital Domain) so its going to be a bit tricky time wise too.

But I'm in LA, and there are some of the finest art schools in the world here, so I'm damn well going to get into one

by the sea, in the north, on the west, below the white bears
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emrys,
    sounds like your on the right track, and alot closer to accomplishing the same goal as me.

How did you get residency to be able to work in the USA? you must have a relative ya?
    also, Digital Domain, what type of job is that and did you have to line it up before you moved from S/Africa?

"Trust Yourself"

Arin Ringwald - Student of Illustration and Design

www.dabble.dream.cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I managed to convince them to offer me the position and then they applied for a visa for me. Thats the best way, although its much easier if you're canadian. You can just get a NAFTA visa and as long as you have a job, then you're in...

As for the work, I'm referred to as a 'digital artist' , which means an animator. I do FX work mostly, but I'm looking to expand my horizons by getting some art and design training behind me.

Cheers
    Marc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, what are you interested in studying? i mean, what area of art? I went to CalArts... character animation was awesome, the design school looked like they were turning out some pretty good stuff... i wouldn't go there if you're interested in Fine arts.. it's all just conceptual mumbo jumbo it seems. I'm not against fine art in any way, in fact i love it, but not at CalArts. The art school has to come to character animation for life drawing, but most of them don't. in fact, i don't remember seeing any art students in there at all. maybe one, later on... i guess i just brought it up cause i saw art center and had to throw in my bit cause they're the closest thing we have to school rivalry. but not really. uh yeah, so, my b/f goes to UCLA for an animation masters... and I don't think you're looking for that are you so maybe i should shut up and go to sleep.

:o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah, like so and so said (sorry, i'm to sleepy to check the name again... i just read it and my brain just fel on the table and all over the floor and when i was putting it back in i think i missplaced the part with that information... ) oh yeah, so, like they said, DEFINATELY visit all the schools you're interested in. that can TOTTALLY make or break your idea of them. look at what they have on the walls. it should be their best stuff, so, see if you think it's that great. sometimes, it's not what you expect. so check it out.

Members who have read this thread: 3