Edward Gorey's Great Simple Theory About Art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Edward Gorey's Great Simple Theory About Art

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Edward Gorey's Great Simple Theory About Art

"This is the theory… that anything that is art… is presumably about some certain thing, but is really always about something else, and it’s no good having one without the other, because if you just have the something it is boring and if you just have the something else it’s irritating.”
    Edward Gorey
    (source)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pld:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Edward Gorey was the man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a beginner so I don't know whether I fully understand it (some naive user had to ask it). Does he mean that a picture (art in general) has to have both subject matter and an underlying story/approach/feeling?

I understand the "something" as the represented subject and all it involves (contour, shape, proportion, accuracy) and the "something else" as composition, story, reading, purpose. Like all those action films these days, with a beautiful wrapping paper but nothing inside, no essence.

Also, has anyone read (I bet you all have) Gorey's horror books? I would love to take a look at some. I'm afraid I don't know much about him because I am relatively new to fine art (before I started drawing and looking at paintings in awe I just loved literature and music).

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Old screenwriting adage: If the scene is about what the scene is about, you're in trouble.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In clearer terms, art must communicate something more than its literal meaning. I agree with that.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wait, this thread...is an art DISCUSSION?

Damn.

It's speaks about the layers an image must have to be considered art.

Like the red dot in the middle of the canvas. If it was only a red dot in the middle of the canvas and not indicative of mankind's dominant rule, destructive habits towards the earth and blatant disregard of his fellow man, thus allowing the disintegration of the moral society and the perpetuation of self-aggrandizing, then the red dot in the middle of the canvas would just be a red dot.

But in all honesty I agree.

EDIT: So going by that statement, the implications then mean that concept art would not be considered art by Edward Gorey's statement because concept art is only showing the image itself without the added layers because those layers are added by other elements (the film it was made for tells the story, the commercial that sells the product, the voice-over, etc.).

Going by that statement, concept art is the equivalent of pencils before the painting, which at one time wasn't considered art because it was the artist's exploration of idea for the final painting and therefore disposable & without merit in the true sense of being art (and no, this is not about "what is art", it's about what that statement is saying).

Last edited by OmenSpirits; August 23rd, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    It's speaks about the layers an image must have to be considered art.

Like the red dot in the middle of the canvas. If it was only a red dot in the middle of the canvas and not indicative of mankind's dominant rule, destructive habits towards the earth and blatant disregard of his fellow man, thus allowing the disintegration of the moral society and the perpetuation of self-aggrandizing, then the red dot in the middle of the canvas would just be a red dot.

Well, in this case the red dot is not art. The combination of the red dot on canvas AND the pitch about mankind's yada yada allegedly signified by the dot is the real piece of art.

In fact, who needs the dot...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Makes sense.

Desperation is sometimes as powerful an inspirer as genius.
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Being really passionate about something would mean coming back to it again and again and again even though half the time it's frustrating or grueling or yes, even tedious... When there's something you just can't let go of in spite of the fact that it's driving you nuts most of the time.

Members who have read this thread: 1