Sketchbook: Torres' Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aragah Olá Pedro ! Yeah I totally bought a Cintiq and it's great. Don't be jealous though, the tool doesn't make the artist in any way
    Yeah color is a big issue for me lately. Here's the thing though: I work on a Laptop. As such my screen colors suck ass.
    Working on the cintiq really helped me to establish this fact and I'm working to resolve it ! Thank you and keep tuned!

@Stryno Thanks mate, glad you like it I've got ways to go on perspective, I still have trouble in thinking of the vanishing points way outside the page.

@kevin Thanks you! I will keep it up And you can expect that winged dude to be finished up sometime soon!

Some more stuff for'ya! Please do tear it apart with your critiques!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been dedicating my time to various envevours recently and sadly I have only this to upload today
    It's the second batch of illustrations for my Trading card came, mostly Ability cards this time around.

Feel free to comment and critique either this or any of my other works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have have got some great studies in here. I love how you use blocks of value and colour. Something I must concentrate on instead of trying to blend the hell out of everything. Really nice control. Which Cintiq do you have?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Damien! Thank you on the kind words. Blocking out the values should always come first. You can always blend them together later anyways..
    I've got myself a Cintiq 12wx a while ago, and though I love it I'm sorry to say I haven't done many paintings on it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to really get things going during December.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of good work going on here lots of good studies and imaginative expression. Like the way you are keeping things loose and just letting the ideas out. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you ja! Keeping it loose and fast most of the time But I might working on some full-fledged rendering for my next paintings, just to test and improve my painting skills!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way you approach your art, creating various thumbnails. It is one approach that I find many people lack (including me, for a long time). There is really very little alternative to thumbnails if you want to quickly check the various elements of your composition before jumping into the work. So, great work on that.

However, having said that, I would like to point out a couple of things that I think might be of use to you. Firstly, colour harmony. I think you're not letting your colours interact with each other as much as you should, or could. Right now they're quite isolated, and sometimes when they do interact, they're looking a bit muddy, because you're getting some temperatures incorrect. I think you need to step back, look at your work from a new perspective, and if you can, read (or re-read) the section on colours in Andrew Loomis' Creative Illustration.

Secondly, I think you'll be able to give your work a lot of volume if you first divide your forms into basic divisions of light and dark. For a simple approach, Google 'Reilly method'. Also, if you divide your forms so, you can easily let your shadow areas be influenced by surrounding colours, and thus establish colour harmony. Controlling temperature becomes easy too.

There are three things you need to remember here:

*The darkest area in the light, is lighter than the lightest area in the dark.

*In cool light, the shadows are warm, while the lighted areas are cool. Vice versa in warm lighting.

*Lighted areas act as 'reflectors', they reflect and emit light, while the areas in shadow 'absorb' light, and tend to be influenced by surrounding colour.

I hope that helps. Sorry for the long ramble.

Sketchbooks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vritra Thanks for all the tips, I do find I struggle with color! I've got Color and Light recently but haven't gotten around to reading it and applying the knowledge. I'll get right on it though!
    Also wasn't aware of the Reilly method (I'd here about it but never looked into to it) , but I'll be sure to read on it now!
    More art coming soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I just spent more time than I care to admit on getting this sketch down. Though it would be a breeze since I already had a thumbnail and could picture the scene in my head, but linework's a bi***.
    Anyway, thoughts , comments and critiques are appreciated !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUMP !

Alot of stuff from the contests around the forum Please critique and share any tips!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello kind people! I've mostly been sketching lately, trying to relax a bit so I don't burn out due to too many studies and such. However I would really like to use these next few weeks to do some portfolio stuff, and will attempt to do so. Keep tuned and ,as allways , feel free to coment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, I'm back! I've been working on a concept for an exiled tribe called Alcateia. They are expert hunters and worship the moon.
    Hope you like it , I'll keep developing them as time goes on. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Holidays everyone ! Also here's some lizards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey torres i like your work a lot, your drawings and especially how you construct things, but i think your digital painting skills can be refined a little, this site helped me a ton:http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    -it really helped me a ton.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blazingdimensions View Post
    hey torres i like your work a lot, your drawings and especially how you construct things, but i think your digital painting skills can be refined a little, this site helped me a ton:http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    -it really helped me a ton.
    Whoa seems really nice resource for learning I'll give it a try this year. I just started taking art seriously this last year and, while I agree my digital painting skills are lacking, I'm bound to improve as long as I keep at it! Thanks you and have a merry Christmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small update!
    Hmm.. is this thread buggy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man! Second page is looking good, your digital brushwork doesn't bother me now, and I am liking your attention to complete overall design. I have ordered James Gurney's Color and Light, are you finding the book has helped you? the post were you mentioned it you said you hadn't started applying it yet, I was just wondering if you have had a chance and if it helped you any.

Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryno View Post
    Man! Second page is looking good, your digital brushwork doesn't bother me now, and I am liking your attention to complete overall design. I have ordered James Gurney's Color and Light, are you finding the book has helped you? the post were you mentioned it you said you hadn't started applying it yet, I was just wondering if you have had a chance and if it helped you any.

Thanks man, yeah Gurney's book is an awesome read.. I do find it hard to aply it though since it's not realy based on specific exercises or homework .
    I've been focusing on my linework lately

It's been a while uh? Well I'm back

If you'd like to follow my work you can do so at www.facebook.com/ArtOfTorres

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! It's been a while but I'm back with new art from my company's new Android game Depths! We are trying to reach international markets so it would awesome if you decided to download the game and try it out! After all, it's free!

Either way, hope you like the work and I wish a good 2014!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 13