Lets pose this dude together!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lets pose this dude together!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lets pose this dude together!

Hey lads/lasses: this dude seems way too static, and I'm having trouble reposing him. I wanted him to be upright, and shooting magic at things behind him, but what i've done isn't great.
    Also: anything else you see wrong, throw that shit at me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't see any image, attach it: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=221049

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the most obvious thing would be that the guy isn't even looking at the zombies, making it hard to believe that he's actually fighting them -More like: 'This warrior is so damn strong he can kill his enemies without looking at them!' So, unless you really want him facing the viewer, turn him around. c:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a reference picture or let someone take a picture of you in a good pose.
    And use it to get a better drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, the pose is very static. The figure is just standing there, being stiff, facing into one direction, holding his right arm (with bad foreshortening and huge hand) into another direction and attacks enemies who are in a third direction. Things are a bit unclear there.
    The way he's holding his left arm has no sense at all, the hand is definitely smaller than the other one and it looks flat.
    I don't like how he clashes with the background, the paintings gets way too busy there, there are annoying tangents too. A cliff is even brightly lit... it could be lovely alone but it's distracting right behind the main figure, it gets extra attention and you don't want that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ehh. Yes, the pose is awkward. But I don't think your composition is helping either. Have you explored other options in thumbnails? And if so, why did you choose this one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, he was supposed to be raising the dead behind him, and for whatever reason (bad decision making is probably the reason) wanted him to be in a more upright less fighty pose. I've adjusted the hand since, and am probably going to remove the magic crap flying into the background and hope that similar appearance/ glows on him and the zombies will create some visual unity (it'll look better than this at least)

@Alice: No, I am hasty, foolish, and impulsive and rarely explore the appropriate compositional opportunities in my own work, and this is what happens :/ I really need to stop doing that.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckusleaf View Post
    I am hasty, foolish, and impulsive and rarely explore the appropriate compositional opportunities in my own work, and this is what happens :/ I really need to stop doing that.
    /thread

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though the hand posture is part of an iconic pose, it just isn't working here at all. The problems you're experiencing here should have been sorted out in the thumbnail stage. Why bother rendering a pose that you already know isn't working?

Original by Mark Tedin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So er, is this a homage piece?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckusleaf View Post
    Thanks guys, he was supposed to be raising the dead behind him, and for whatever reason (bad decision making is probably the reason) wanted him to be in a more upright less fighty pose. I've adjusted the hand since, and am probably going to remove the magic crap flying into the background and hope that similar appearance/ glows on him and the zombies will create some visual unity (it'll look better than this at least)

@Alice: No, I am hasty, foolish, and impulsive and rarely explore the appropriate compositional opportunities in my own work, and this is what happens :/ I really need to stop doing that.
    Then why not do the thumbnails now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thread summary:
    Thumbnails
    Aaand im off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this piece warrants starting over, especially since I get too attached to pieces that cant be saved.
    So I did thumbnails like a big boy, next: I'm going to try to tie my own shoes!
    (I think #3 is my preference)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are to involved with the foreground figure. The idea is to have a creature that is rising the dead. Why don't you focus on the story first and the figure second. If this was me I would try to focus on making creatures coming out of the ground as my focal point, the spellcaster is secondary in this image. Create the focal point then create the foreground figure. Maybe start with the main character's back toward you so you focus on the point of interest?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting!
    I was somewhat attached to the foreground character rather than the dudes rising from the dead. As an homage to an old "Magic The Gathering" card "Necropotence" (what Hex showed above) I needed to have the skullfaced character present and obvious in the foreground. Ideally, I would have this piece printed as a "playmat" on which to play MTG.
    So: yes it would probably help it as a piece, but I'm intentionally working within the constraints of having him front and (figuratively) center to make the visual reference obvious.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.