Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: No more excuses

Thanks

No more excuses

Hey everyone.
    I lurked for a long time and told myself that I'll start posting tomorrow, but never did until now. From now on, I want to focus a great deal more on improving and I would appreciate any help and feedback!

I'll start with some recent stuff.
    The first was done from life, the others from photo reference.
    Please pardon the bad quality, I'm still figuring out how I can get my scanner to work properly.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The colors on that pear make me fucking hungry, but its shape looks off. As for the poses.... i'm novice when it comes to that at best, so looking gewd!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheApprentice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @TheApprentice: Thanks for your comment! You are right, I guess with the pear I was focusing too much on color and forgot everything else.

First one is a quick study I did the other day. The other is a character I want to practise digital painting on in the next days. Probably overdid the rendering on this one.

Thanks
    Niiice! I really like the mermaid, something about the flow of the hair and the angle of her head give her a very thoughtful look (maybe even a bit sad).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Heyriel: Thank you so much! I was aiming for dreamy with the mermaid, good to know I came close.

First 3 are lifedrawings, last one was from photos in preparation for another piece.
    Struggled a great deal with the reflection on the spoon. Now the form looks off.
    In the second one I added the values (?) later from memory because I forgot to note them down when I was there. They are very likely wrong.
    And the third looks especially crappy cause I'm a slowpoke. I redid parts of them so often that in the end even the sleeping guy noticed I was staring at him...

Thanks
    Hey really great start! That mermaid is awesome. I'm looking forward to more from you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Played around with photoshop all day and got a lot done.
    The mermaid and the outdoor sketch are more or less finished for now. Might redo them when I get the hang of adding textures.
    Last one is a creature inspired by todays lunch. Expect more of those, it was fun .

Thanks
    I like that picture with swing, it has a bit of dephs and atmosphere. Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Raiderukkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Recent stuff. Have been neglecting lifestudies a bit lately...

First three are kinda thumbnailes for something I work on. The three after the colored stuff are quick studies from photos and the last is a current wip. Rest is random blabla.
    Attached Images Attached Images                        

Thanks
    Can't believe it's been a month since I last posted. At least I only have to feel guilty of not uploading, because I did practise when I could. I'm trying to get into perspective as I have kind of avoided that particular topic forever, and it's actually not that bad...yet. Did a lot more than two, but I'm not gonna bother showing them all, since they are rather boring to look at. Two are enough to remind me that I did them later anyway.
    Also I wanted to get more into digital painting, but my pc decides to power off randomly lately, so that's that.
    My sketches & ramblings
    I also have a Sketchblog/ now, where I do my stuff. Check it out~

Thanks
    Small update. I think I'm making progress at painting digitally...maybe? If anything, I'm at least getting more used to photoshop. I wish could draw more loosely though. I can't really make my subjects recognizable without adding details....:/
    My sketches & ramblings

Thanks
    More sloppy drawings, because one can never have too much of them.
    The study of the teapot took my several days. It's unbelievable to me how I can be that slow...And the scanner seems to be exposing quite a few flaws already. Oh well.
    Also I noticed that I'm really unstructured, especially when it comes to scenery. So for the next time I will think about the steps I need to take before I begin. Maybe that'll help a bit.
    My sketches & ramblings

Thanks
    Todays stuff. Not much to say really. Still strugging with scenery, especially when straight lines are involed. I can't seem to be precise, even when using a ruler.
    Aside from that, I want to focus more on painting for a bit.
    My sketches & ramblings

Thanks
    That mermaid in #7 made me say "oh wow" out loud. That's strikingly beautiful. I was surprised to discover you did it in photoshop - leaving in that pencil texture from the scan was a smart, smart move. That's the great flaw with many of your other digital paintings; too much digital texture.

You've got a great variety of studies; the colors on that pear in the first post are beautiful, and I enjoy how you used angular lines in the gesture drawings below it. Your figures' proportions are great.

But digital painting and gestures/movement lag behind your drawing ability. ctrlpaint is a good resource; has a lot of short videos about digital painting. But really, I'd just play with brush settings and multiplying/overlaying/etc textures at the end. You're doing good stuff in those last two paintings you posted. As for the movement thing--just do more gestures! 30sec, 10sec, for 5 minutes a day. Or that's my advice, anyway, for what it's worth. But you're definitely on the right road regardless. :P
    Keep at it!
    My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @JesseM: Thanks! You are right about the texture. I looked through a couple videos and tried a few things out with the cup, but I guess I overdid it.

Also I think I do the short gestures every day from now on, since they are very hard to do. I wasn't even aware that I can't draw straight lines without an eraser...
    And the cherry was from a painting tutorial that I kinda abandoned halfway to do my own thing. It scanned like crap though. While it is very dark it's not as black as it looks on my monitor.
    My sketches & ramblings

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast