What are your biggest fears and regrets - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret not letting people see my artwork when I was in highschool/school in general. I probably missed out on some much needed esteem-boosts and opinions. Now I'm stuck with a feeling of my art having no worth to anyone but myself.

My fear is I won't get over this before I try to get into the game industry.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GEMMA View Post
    I regret not letting people see my artwork when I was in highschool/school in general. I probably missed out on some much needed esteem-boosts and opinions. Now I'm stuck with a feeling of my art having no worth to anyone but myself.

It takes time to improve look up matt khor feng zhu and other videos and tutorials from youtube I recommend starting off with the basics again

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There isn't really anything...maybe not going to be earlier last night. But I regret that everyday and I'll regret it tommorow so...the usual self-hate xD

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Already faced my biggest fear: Check

Already reconciled my biggest regret by doing what I regretted not doing.

Answer to your question.

No to both.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GEMMA View Post

Look , you could have gotten plenty of people telling you that you were talented during school. In the end it would have happened any other day that it would no longer hold much significance to you because you realize that most people appreciate your art on the basis of 'I couldn't do that'+'its really pretty'+'I wanted to throw you a compliment' to the point where it becomes annoying and on the flip side you would have had jealous haters who feel the need to constantly point out your other imperfections. So trust me you didn't miss much.

If you want to get a feeling that your art has worth to someone try volunteering for a modding project.(its not always very pro but if you have passion for games you may be surprised at what you come up with)
    Or you can always do commissions on Deviant art.

Of course if you realize that you are at a level where can get paid then its better to do that than work for free.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not having sex with Angie Jones at our senior grad party.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Not having sex with Angie Jones at our senior grad party.
    Was she hot or just doable?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very hot. Very.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeffX99 *facepalm well there plenty of fish in the sea lol

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GDM For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I listened to everyone around me that said you couldn't make a living out of an art-career and picked a career in biology instead of art... I was 18 and very susceptible. I regret not going into art to this very day, even more the more I draw it seems.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Was she hot or just doable?
    More importantly, was the option really there, or were you practicing Mormonism, or somethin'?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret starting with manga because it's an uphill battle reteaching myself how to draw. The best way I could describe it is if you had to rewire an electrical system and found that the last electrician had tied all the wires into big wire balls, likely to piss off whomever came after him. So, you have to sit there, taking everything apart, correcting his mistakes and still rewire the damn thing.

My biggest fear is that I'll eventually give up and submit myself to an eternity of suckdom.

I have a sketchbook. Why don't you go look? http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...47#post3481447

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusSnow View Post
    I regret starting with manga because it's an uphill battle reteaching myself how to draw. The best way I could describe it is if you had to rewire an electrical system and found that the last electrician had tied all the wires into big wire balls, likely to piss off whomever came after him. So, you have to sit there, taking everything apart, correcting his mistakes and still rewire the damn thing.

My biggest fear is that I'll eventually give up and submit myself to an eternity of suckdom.
    It's an uphill battle for anyone to learn to draw whatever style they started with. Manga is not your problem. Learning to draw what you see is your problem, possibly coupled with the fact that you just don't seem to do it very often.

You don't need to unlearn anything to move on, you just need to pick up some new skills and knowledge.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret not believing in myself more & always feeling everyone is much better than me.

|| CA Sketchbook || DeviantArt || Tumblr ||

Bullets of Justice caps Evil's ass...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's natural to all artists just a phase you're going through you'll get there as long you keep drawing

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by battlebattle View Post
    that i started drawing at all.
    i put a lot into art, both effort wise and financially and im no closer to achieving my goals than when i was 4 and began dreaming them up.

its realistically looking like its not going to happen, and i regret making that decision.
    I regret not seeing this post sooner, so I know how to deal with this person's piss poor attitude.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret not starting younger, if I had "woe to you oh earth and sea" I'm 42 and only been at it about 4years, I still feel like I'm a beginner, and to those young whippersnappers that complain, I'm 18, or I'm a Feotus is it to late for me lol damn, I hate that.
    oh yeah and there was this one girl that I regret...actually there were a few...Oh regret memories if only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret not standing up for myself when I had to and being overconfident which stopped me from observing my surroundings. I also regret listening to others and thinking that art was worthless because many think it is just ''playing". My biggest fear is showing my art to my family, I've never liked that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Pio yeah I know where your coming from my wife thinks its a hobby for me, and I hate that she thinks its a hobby, cause its way bigger then that to me, she even says hobbie to piss me off lol, its one of the only things I enjoy doing and like a said, I regret starting later in life, keep at it mate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never liked showing art to family and friends because it's always "Oh Wow that's amazing. Did you go to art school? Wish I could do that. etc etc".

Almost never honest constructive criticism. Asspats are nice. But I was asspatted constantly until I came here years ago and realized "Oh.... .. I should practice more. I'm ... not.... the shit?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFierce Yeah I know I get it to I want honest criticism to but friends and family never want to tell you straight up and then when I tell them its not good they say sell that art as usual its sickening

another thing I regret is asking stupid questions when I know the answers

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Vinicam is offline Five percent inspiration and ninety five percent transpiration. Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My greatest fear is to let unfinished another try at doin something with my life. Already left architecture and biology, can't be wrong this time AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    I regret going to university for something I don't care about at all when I couldn't afford art school.
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    I listened to everyone around me that said you couldn't make a living out of an art-career and picked a career in biology instead of art... I was 18 and very susceptible. I regret not going into art to this very day, even more the more I draw it seems.
    I still regret this... And probably will always regret, even more when I see people like Miles who started to take art seriously with 13~14 years. But I still don't know how a kid can be that focused on something, when there are so many things new in that stage of life.

Quote Originally Posted by udonhead View Post
    I also regret not saving money, spending supplies because I thought it would make my art improve significantly,and not being more determined and ambitious in the past now I got a slow start at life but hey I'm still young so its not too late
    Yeah, earlier this year I sold my Intuos4(large) almost unused because "I didn't have time to use it". Now I want another one and can't afford to buy a new and can't find a used one to buy. Bad decisions everywhere...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My biggest fear is to finish doing some kind of job that I hate (the one where you can draw only during the lunch break)...I'm afraid that nobody will like my works and to be time-wasting my young years...

My biggest regret? I have many...Under the artistic life I can say that I regret to have started drawing from life a bit too late...Only 2-3 years ago

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cro-magnon View Post
    giant spider-rat demons.
    that is legit.

I am absolutely terrified of god. I don't really take art that seriously. I mean it's there, and you do it and it's fun but it isn't a time limit on it or anything. I mean you can put one on it but that's just for fun.

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt agapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret that I wasnt stronger when I was 15 years old and was about to choose school. My parents didnt want me to go to an art school because they did not think it would give me any job and that it wasnt even a real job. They have always been very hard and dominant. I regret that I listened to them and just accepted what they wanted. I always wanted to be the good girl in their eyes, doing everything right. So I studied to become a nurse. All this because they would be proud of me.

But some years ago I came to a point where I needed a change. I just had to follow my dreams trying to work with my artistic skills. And here Im today at age 36 just starting my sb here. Now struggling with my first Bridgman body studies and having a great time. I wish I had found ConceptArt many years ago, its a great community.

Ive done this huge life change in this age. So please you young people dont despair and never think its too late for anything! And always follow your dreams!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Regretting stuff you did or didn't do before you were 30 is a total waste of time. You didn't have enough information to make good judgments.
    I spent the time from 15 to 30 drinking, getting really good at Gran Tourismo and making joints, getting kicked out of various houses and fuck all else. Now I feel like time is insanely short and I have a lot of catching up to do. But its OK, I like the feeling of urgency, its motivational.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I regret not drawing more from life during high school. I also wish I discovered Andrew Loomis's books in high school but when I was in high school, they didn't have that kind of stuff available online. I also regret not busting my ass learning anatomy. I had an anatomy book but it was too complicated for me at that time. I needed a simpler book to help. I also regret not taking more drawing and painting classes in college because I thought computer classes were more important. Now you can learn all the adobe programs online. There are so many tutorials out there. It's crazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post
    This is my sole regret

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    I F***IN LOVE YOU!
    so i'm right there with you... 3 entire years thinking that was a good choice

one day i'll find Joe Mad or Stjepan Sejic and shake their hands because good gods they are the reason i discovered how sexy american comic art was and just could not look back

Aspiring Digital Fantasy Artist
    DEVIANTART BLOGSPOT TUMBLR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to get too heavy here, but I think I'm living my biggest fear and I have no solutions. I'm very deep into student debt. Art was the only thing I could do well and even now after all my schooling Im not good enough to get myself a job. I'm trying very hard, I've offered working for free, Ive looked into work for aspects of visual art (printing for example) that I never considered. Ive called companies just asking for guidance or networking but they never return my calls. I ask other artists for help finding work but they eventually stop e-mailing me back.
    I figured Hey, I have a degree that says I completed something, right? Someone will want me somewhere even if its not art. But I am severely underemployed. And despite my job search I havent been met with any success. I have a part-time job but my hours were cut from 30 to 9. Just earlier today I was thanking my boss for the meager 16hrs I got for next week.
    Im at the end of my rope. Im going to be 25 this month and I still live with my parents and I work at a restaurant for $5.00 an hour where Im lucky if someone tips 10%. All I have is this degree, mediocre talent, and no way out.
    ve been told that even if I went into some other field Id be in the same positionI dont really know. Only thing I have learned is school is not worth anything unless its 100% paid for.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Regretting stuff you did or didn't do before you were 30 is a total waste of time. You didn't have enough information to make good judgments.
    I find it sort of mental that our current educational system is based around "right, you're 17 or 18, pick a career and go to Uni for it.".
    That's insane. 18 year olds are basically amoebas, they're not even real people yet.

Totally valid idea in medieval times, what with the tiny life expectancy, bit mad these days.

People change. I know literally two guys who ended up in the same job they trained for at University. (and one of those did a weird tangent involving teaching English ) Everyone else ended up doing weird totally unrelated stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.