getting an italian student loan for angel academy as a british student?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

getting an italian student loan for angel academy as a british student?

Hey everyone, time to ask for more advice again! basically im still giving a lot of thought to atelier/ classical academy study, unfortunately it turns out that a british student cant get loans to study in america from what ive been told, and so im looking at european schools once again - specifically angel academy in florence.

the only catch as im sure you can imagine is finances - i contacted the student finances in england and they say I cant get a uk student loan to study in the eu - you have to go through the specific countries student loan service, in this case italys.

my question is have any foreign students managed to get an italian student loan for any of their ateliers seeing as it is not technically a university degree course? please dont think im being lazy asking here first - i thought it may be quicker than trying to speak to their loan service seeing as i cant speak italian, and I know at least a couple of people on here have studied at these places despite not being a local. Thanks in advance for all the help

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by haljarrett View Post
    my question is have any foreign students managed to get an italian student loan for any of their ateliers seeing as it is not technically a university degree course?
    what is the qualification classed as? this might be key to their loan criteria.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its called "a diploma of excellence" according to angel academys website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember speaking to the member Dorian (http://www.dorian-iten.com/) about something similar. He managed to get a scholarship from his government (Swiss) to study in Florence. It's a pain in the arse to try and get because they only support you if you're studying in your own country, and only if it's at an accredited university. So you have the laborious task of convincing them that this type of training isn't found in England, and that degrees don't matter much in the art world. It might be an option to consider, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to further what Burl says, direct.gov has these loans:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ns/DG_10033237

which have this proviso:

What you can’t use a Professional and Career Development Loan for

Professional and Career Development Loans are intended to help with costs that aren’t covered by other sources of public funding. For example...

...a course from a learning provider based in the European Union if an equivalent course is available in the UK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like that sucks though. you have to start paying it back straight after the course ends, there's no income threshold etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah i see! thanks for the info on the loan alternative, still not quite what I was after (as a genuine student loan is kindof the best option) but still food for thought. Its a shame the uk ateliers/ academies arent quite up to par with europe/ americas from what I can see...well, again thanks for the advice guys I guess Ill try to contact the italian student loan service and see what happens!(if we can understand each other

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just thought id let everyone know what the outcome was : turns out, as i suspected, that generally people who go to the ateliers/ academies have either family money to back them or a very generous government willing to give them a student loan for something that isnt technically university. There are grants that would provide a slim chance of enabling someone to go form a poorer background, but even then they top out at about 16 thousand pounds - not enough for the full 3/4 yrs by a long shot.....

so on a personal level, luckily enough there is a guy in my hometown who teaches at charles h cecil in florence during term time, but during the summer has a 6 week course here in the uk ( for a much lower fee) so thats what ill do

again, thanks for the advice guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe from the 2nd year you can get a scholarship from the school.
    I think Dorian Itten got one, i dont know how much it is either.
    Send an email to the school and ask if your're interested.

Angel academy is accredited, and I have gotten a student loan from the swedish government to go there.
    Doesnt help you though =(

Here artrenewal lists all the Ateliers that they approve. Take a look at the map.
    http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/ateliers.php
    You got 2 in england. Lavender hill studios, and London academy of representational art.

Maidith, here on the forum got a scholarship to study at Angel for 2 years
    read about it here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=137612

I have a long list of scholarships im going to apply for next year. like 15-20 places.
    I payed a company in sweden like 20euro and they gave me a list of all the scholarships that i was quailified for.
    Im sure you can find something like that in England as well.

Good luck =)
    And maybe i'll see you in Florence

Members who have read this thread: 3