Centaur Warrior - Matte/Digital Painting

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Centaur Warrior - Matte/Digital Painting

Hello all!
    First time posting on conceptart.org and got inspired by so many incredible artists here. I really enjoy the process of using photo reference and manipulate then painting them to complete the artwork.(hopefully that's not consider cheating. >_<") However, I do want to get better and want to know what else I can improve on my piece. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
It doesn't look like you painted much at all. It looks like you used photos, and then put a filter above them, finally meshing them together with more filters.
Edit*

The overall values read, but there is little consistency to them apart from that. The back left leg looks, weird? The details are all in that belt, the rest of the painting has very random level of detail, minus the background which is less detailed overall, which I consider to be a good thing. Simplify.

Thanks
    First thing i noticed.
    The torso doesn't relate with the movement of the horse part.
    The legs suggest it's going still going forward and turning (shifting of it's weight to one side) while the torso is suggesting a rather straight and static pose. These two references you used don't fit that well.

Photo usage can be practical but don't overdo it.

Cheers

Thanks
    I´m sorry but you are cheating in this one. (at least to me, you are cheating)
    If you want to improve stay away from crap like this and draw and paint FROM reference.

"Every champion was once a challenger who refused to give up"

Sketchbook

Deviantart

Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Or at least use your own photos, not stuff that belongs to someone else. Whether this would count as cheating is debatable, but you're not helping yourself to learn to draw by just painting over photos.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I did use lots of photos to creating this piece and enjoyed that sort of direction.(admit my painting skills is still very noob) I'll definitely look into trying to get overall value and detail more consistent. I guess this sort of ways of creation get to how I want it to look faster. I will try move away from painting over photos for future pieces gradually. I definitely appreciate the honesty and hope if there's anyway in the future to make it not as photo manipulated, I will keep trying.

Last edited by Foxbur; August 13th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    I am not quite sure of your intentions: do you want to improve on your painting, your matte painting or photo-manipulation skills?

If the answer is photo-manipulation, I'd refer you to psdTUT+ and sites like that. Note that photomanip. is very tedious, VERY program-orientated and you won't get around stuff like light, form, colour, perspective either. You have to pick good photos (find the right angles, resolution etc.) and apply lots of filters to emulate light. By the looks of your piece, you are not familiar with the warp tool yet- as I said it is very much rooted in how much you can get out of photoshop, and I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with it.

I started off doing stuff like that a long time ago, and eventually decided that drawing is *closer* to me as I do not have a program *in between* which I rely on. That said, it is a very powerful tool- if you are using Gimp, I'd suggest to get a PS student version or a used one on ebay. Gimp is awesome for that it is open source, but especially the last 3 PS versions are very powerful and will give you much more range and options.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    I am not quite sure of your intentions: do you want to improve on your painting, your matte painting or photo-manipulation skills?

If the answer is photo-manipulation, I'd refer you to psdTUT+ and sites like that. Note that photomanip. is very tedious, VERY program-orientated and you won't get around stuff like light, form, colour, perspective either. You have to pick good photos (find the right angles, resolution etc.) and apply lots of filters to emulate light. By the looks of your piece, you are not familiar with the warp tool yet- as I said it is very much rooted in how much you can get out of photoshop, and I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with it.

I started off doing stuff like that a long time ago, and eventually decided that drawing is *closer* to me as I do not have a program *in between* which I rely on. That said, it is a very powerful tool- if you are using Gimp, I'd suggest to get a PS student version or a used one on ebay. Gimp is awesome for that it is open source, but especially the last 3 PS versions are very powerful and will give you much more range and options.
    Thanks so much for the advice! That is exactly what I enjoy and trying to get better at. I guess what I really want to get better is photo-manipulation and create a fantasy environment/character of what I imagine. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I dont see lots of forum that's more on those type of art?
    However I do appreciate all the tips on what make sense and what doesnt on the image itself.

Last edited by Foxbur; August 13th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbur View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice! That is exactly what I enjoy and trying to get better at. I guess what I really want to get better is photo-manipulation and create a fantasy environment/character of what I imagine. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I dont see lots of forum that's more on those type of art?
    However I do appreciate all the tips on what make sense and what doesnt on the image itself.
    I am not up-to-date on english forum communities, I used psd-tutorials.de which is the largest german-speaking community on that kind of stuff.

I also used to visit http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/ - I just checked, it is still very active so you might find some people there. The things that helped me most were contests and project groups, they help you with being productive towards a deadline.
    As for tutorials, well, http://psd.tutsplus.com/
    But honestly? Google "photoshop tutorials" and you will find what you need. The only way to learn is to keep on working, if you do just a few tutorials, you won't learn how the "image adjustments -> curves" function works, you can only reproduce that one result.

There are many communities dealing with photo manip., it is just that there are so many different types: you have the hybrid with 3D programs (maya, c4D etc), you have web design which will most likely lead you to some scripting. Then of course there is matte painting, you might wanna check alexiuss.deviantart who is popular these days. Advertising, banner-, product design.. lalala.
    Deviant art groups, forums, facebook groups- all places to start.

You'll quickly find what is more to your liking- there are 5000 websites, but in the end you'll have 1, maybe 2 and possibly a few design blogs in your favourites.

Last but not least, some of the more useful portfolios out there: http://alfoart.com/special_effects.html

and, uhh.. well, there is of course

Thanks
    To LordLouis
    Thank you so much for the insight! I will definitely keep working and try to improve. I am actually more of an 3d background(3ds max mainly), so definitely photo-manipulating is what I enjoy. Thanks again for all the great sites and suggestions!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Foxbur For This Useful Post:

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.