Sketchbook: Hey's Sketchbook
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hey's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow Hey's Sketchbook

Hello CA! My name's Sarah and I'm 17 years old. Been lurking for quite some time before now finally working up the courage to post something of my own xD

I started drawing 'seriously' in 2009, but colors and non-animal subjects only started appearing in my works around march last year -so naturally I'm still far away from being as good as the (truly amazing) artists on here. Feedback/critique and pointers into the right direction are very much needed -and appreciated!

Without further blabla, here are two landscapes from last week (from ref) and a WIP that's been sitting around for nearly 4 months now (Skyrim inspired). Enjoy?

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Heyriel; August 14th, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another 2x painting practice (2h and 20min) and a skin study in watercolor (ref here ).
    -Crits wanted!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your landscapes are absolutely marvelous!
    Great color palette and composition.

The skull of the catman seems kind of odd tho, it looks... squashed? Maybe it's the angle of the mouth, not really sure.

In any case, keep on drawing, you're doing great.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birdscanfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enviros are really good. You can try some custom brushesb too. I think that the mouth of the man from last post should be shifted to the right a little bit. Good start and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, as guys have already told you: you got some nice landscapes here...

nice work with the brushwork on the bird one and the watercolor came out great

keep it up!, I'd be glad to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff, especially considering your age. sooo much potential

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sarah! I am like what I'm seeing so far :j.. you are better than myself when I was 17 haha. Nice environments for sure.. very confident brush strokes, but I want to see the same for your animal character though. Try using using a 100% opacity brush for some sharper edges and have a less smudgy painting. Keep working at it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Erikly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @birdscanfly: I'm glad you approve of the colors -and thanks for the encouragement You're right though, the head really looks strange. -part of the jaw seems to be missing?! *headdesk*
    @blu01: Thank you! Getting the facial features arranged properly is always problematic, should definitely practice that more!
    @Gpozzo: Thank you very much!! (Hopefully someday I'll be able to do as well without a ref )
    @pfloyd: Thanks! c:
    @Erikly: Aye, aye sir! Thanks a lot for the tip~ (There's much to fix when I get around to continuing that painting xD )

No colored pieces today but lots of figure drawings. -I'm ashamed to admit that the last documented figure study of mine dates back to May 2011 But luckily the Sketchbooks here are phenomenal at handing out motivational ass-kicks~
    Done with the pixellovely.com figure drawing tool, set to 2min for the humans (+5min for details and shading on some), 30sec for the horses. The last one's from Tumblr (how could I resist? xD ). Sorry for the bad image quality: They're too big for the scanner ._. Next in line are definitely muscle studies (legs. wtf.)

Fire away, please point out any reoccurring issues you can see so far!!! (And if you can tell me if/how to change this thread to NSFW I'll love you foreverrrr~)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook! The landscapes are simply fantastic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your landscapes are beautiful. The colors and technique are impeccable.

On your figures, your legs are looking a bit short on most of them. Upper leg to knee and lower legs to foot are usually 2/3 the torso (crotch to armpit) in length each.

Awesome sketchbook!

If you have the time, please stop by my sketchbook, Chock Full o'Nuts.
    I would appreciate any advice or critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, the only thing I can really say, is maybe slow down,especially on the figures, try to really nail the construction first, and not use so many scirbbly lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome environments, you've got a really good grasp of color and tone. My only crit at this point is to take more time to do anatomy studies and to always compare your sketch to the ref as you're working Can't wait to see more from ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's up, Sarah. Your environmental studies are really good and I like the watercolor portrait.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'r enviro's are beautiful! Are you doing those from photos?
    I really like the watercolor portrait that u did! which company are the colors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coming back to so many replies -is as unexpected as it is great! xD Thank you everyone!

@Pete_Hidalgo Thank you!!
    @DKHutcheson Each? Uups ._. Thank you very much for pointing this out! I'll try to get rid of that bad habit asap :o -and also thanks for the compliment on the landscapes c:
    @Psychobuddy and Kanda: Thanks, you're definitely right, I should and will do alot more studies :>
    @bish0p2004 Hey there Thank you very much, I'm glad you do~
    @Chompi'n Thank you! -sadly yes, I can't paint landscapes like that without a ref to help me with the colors (yet) D: The watercolors are a basic 24x student set from Winsor and Newton

Only attaching a recent deer-portrait-thingy painting this time for the sake of posting something along with the replies. Loosely used a ref for the head, colors picked myself; Feel free to crit the hell out of anatomy, painting technique etc. Just not the composition(?) 'cause I know it's far from exciting and dynamic xD

Hacking through Loomis, Bridgman and -the most helpful book ever- Anatomy for the Artist (Simblet) is on the rl program rn, trying to remedy the fact that I know next to nothing about the workings of forearms and can't draw feet to save my life. Just loads and loads of bones and muscles~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, the last one (deer portrait) is really good, I like it a lot.

Keep up the good work and good luck with studying anatomy (I have to do it someday too >.> )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad you said "yet"! =P Like the spirit!

The deer portrait is soo pretty!! I think it has a-bit of drama actually,
    staring at us with those eyes of his..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you're 17 huh ?
    OHMYGODYOURAFCKINBEAST ! O_O

Erm... Sorry for that !
    I can't give you any tip as you're doing all what you should do ! I absolutely love your environnements !

Keep rockin' !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyriel View Post
    please point out any reoccurring issues you can see so far!!!
    Your stuff is gorgeous (I especially like the watercolor portrait), you definitely know what you're doing! If I was to say something that would bump it up another notch it would be to use thinner (and more frequent) lines for the hatching in the shading. In some of your sketches the heavy lines draw a lot of attention, like the ones on the boulder the man is carrying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome wrk !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew, long time no see, I guess? School has me in it's evil clutches again...not an entirely bad thing though; The trip to London was in one word "e-p-i-c". I must have driven my classmates half mad with the endless gushing excitement over the archtiecture~ xD Sadly there was no time to draw, save for a few hasty sketches while walking

@ANtY93: Thank you!
    @Chompi'n: Haha, I'll try to preserve it for as long as possible
    @Shad-: Thank you very much :3
    @nouge: Yes, you're right! I should certainly take more care with that -thank you very much; both for the compliment and pointing this out c:
    @handu: Thanks!

Now about some art;
    1. Portrait of a dog character for someone on dA. Took 6-10h...the fur...There's so much of it. Halfway through I gave up on establishing any logical pattern. xD
    Name:  GlowWolfLove Res.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  62.1 KB

2. Boredom*(Bunny studies + medieval stock) = This. About 6h so far
    Name:  Hare Warrior WIP03 Res.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  197.2 KB
    This is the stock image: http://dewfooter.deviantart.com/art/...uy-3-322305743
    ...Duuuude, the eye-highlight is scary ._.

3. Look up! There's the previous version. Not gonna re-do it completely but the Warhammer must be fixed -I just don't know how. ;A; It's supposed to be one of these: http://images.wikia.com/elderscrolls...ammer_head.png and since it's neither a sphere nor a cube, my pitiful perspective skills have met their match. Damnit.
    Name:  Kahjiit Smash WIP4 RES.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  55.9 KB

As usual; Any comments and critique are welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your environments. They have such a sunny and warm atmosphere.
    For the guy with the warhammer, maybe it would help if you took a normal hammer and looked at it from the angle you want?

My sketches & ramblings
    I also have a Sketchblog/ now, where I do my stuff. Check it out~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super Arbeit, mir gefallen besonders die Landschaftsbilder!
    Awesome works! Your landscapes are fantastic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @I.N.K. Thank you very much! Sadly using a rl hammer doesn't do the trick since it still looks nothing like the type it's supposed to be
    @Nowio Dankeschön! cx

Just a quick update before getting off to bed (finally); Styracosaurus for a 'Draw-your-fav-Dino' competition
    The composition was a bitch, couldn't get it right until a friend contributed some brain-power. Coloring is going very well though; ca. 3h so far

Name:  Styracosaurus WIP05.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  234.2 KB

Feedback appreciated as always!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got a nice skill level for a 17 year old! Keep up the great work! And may you could try to get used to make clean singulary lines when you hatch. Your drawings and sketches are going to be much cleaner then. Viel Erfolg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Appreciated that ya commented! Your environments and paintings are so cool ;v; reminds me how much i need to start painting again. Cheers! -Nagz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Die Tierporträts sind wirklich fantastisch Die Farben in den Landschaftsbildern sind auch wirklich gut. Das mit mit dem Hasen erinnert mich irgendwie an so alte Märchenbuchillustartionen.
    Zu den Aktzeichnungen: So gesehen will ich hier gar nicht so viel sagen außer, dass kurze Skizzen gut sind und sie sollten aufjedenfall weiter gemacht werden, pass nur auf bei so Kurzskizzen ist man oft dazu geneigt Gesichter, Hände und Füße nur anzudeuten oder wegzulassen weil sie schwierig sind und man unter Zeitdruck ist. Ich würde deshlab nur empfehlen auch mal längere Zeit an einer Figur zu verbringen und/oder auch seperat diese schwierigen Sachen zu üben, falls du das nicht schon vorhast bzw. machst^^

Bleib dran

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Zipfelzeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That composition's beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your environmentstuff. I like the way you use the brushes.
    Your figure drawings are good as well. The only think I can say to you was already pointend out. (the short legs)
    Otherwise great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Ey!

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook to give some critique, it's much appreciated. :D It made me think about the realistic side of my painting (lighting-wise, mainly), and I'm sure I'll try to give it some more thought in my future paintings. So, thanks again! c: And as for what comes to your work. Incredible. I really like the landscapes on the first few posts. It's evident that you got a much better handle of the values than I do, haha. But I can, and will, definitely improve. c: But what really struck me was post #15. And even if the anatomy was off by an inch (which I don't think it really is), you did a great job with the coloring-- and blue was definitely a great choice for the background. Makes it really pop out.

Surely I would comment on each artwork that you've included, but this reply is already really long as it is, so I'll try to tone it down a bit. Personally, when looking at the landscapes, I think you'd do a great concept artist. But the deer is something not-so-concept-like, which is why, you'd do great in a variety of things actually. And honestly, I don't think your human anatomy is bad at all. And I think you said something about not knowing how to draw feet? Well, neither can I. They always come out as these weird, deformed-.. human-socks. If that makes sense. Probably not. But I can't draw hands either.

But regardless of the compliments, surely you have a lot to work on if you're aiming higher. And I would definitely go more in-depth, but I feel like this reply went past the point of "long" a while ago, and now it's just.. a, tiring wall of text.

Great job, nonetheless! I wish you'd put up stuff more frequently, though. :/ And once again, thanks for the critique. ^^

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3