Thanks

perspective help – research station – sifi environment

i got some mentions that the perspective is off – but nowbody told me, what exactly is off... can you help me?

two suns are rising – over whatever experiments they're doing down there...

my new picture – i tried to implement everything i learned in the past few weeks (it was a lot! due to you guys here and a lot of tutorials).

so please, if you can spare the time – rip it apart – it's the only way to improve...
    Last edited by StefanieOdendahl; August 22nd, 2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: more specific question

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The tonal composition is ok. The 2 characters are pointing and when your eyes go there, there's nothing! Whats up with that??

4. The Following User Says Thank You to conceptartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you! haha - you are kind of right. there is something - a very tiny little flash. it made sense when i drew it back then to make it that small - but i can't see the sense now. i think i will make it a little bit larger...

Thanks
    The thumbnail is compelling, so something in your composition is working. Seeing the enlarged version, there appears to be lots of perspective problems. The figures don't read as accurately proportioned. Also, the piece screams "objects on layers". I think this is because objects that are the same distance have drastically different qualities in edge, texture, resolution, contrast and color. Keep in mind I'm no expert on environments.

On the other hand, I think there are some nice design details, and many elements (the sky, for instance) look promising. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you! i'm quite new to the whole environment stuff... and perspective on not-technical stuff is really hard for me - but as always, it is hard to know what is actually wrong.
    Last edited by StefanieOdendahl; August 22nd, 2012 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks
    enhanced the flash a little – so the pointing of the character is more readable...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Generally if you notice that something is wrong with perspective after you've painted everything, it means you've screwed up your process and will have to rework from scratch. Perspective should be figured out before you even think of lighting, values or color.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    From a distance I think your composition is interesting. However, when I look at the full-sized image it seems like you’re trying to force it to do something that it’s not designed for. If you want your guy to be pointing at something, it should be something that makes sense for him to be pointing to. It should also be something that works for your composition.

As for perspective, that’s kind of a waste of time to critique. Just learn it, and use it. Problem solved. It’s really not that hard, but you’ll never get anywhere without it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you for taking the time. yes i really think i have to plan out my pictures better – make sketches to look where to go with them. at the moment i'm just making a very rough sketch and go for it.
    David-a-ray: your overpaint is just awesome

Thanks
    The most importing thing about perspective is setting up a horizon, and I am having some issues finding your horizon. Because the horizon determines what you are looking down upon and up into. It also looks like the water is sloped, making the piece seem off balance. I know you were trying to show the curvature of the planet as a scale reference, but it didn't work out very well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Perspective issues aside, there is no sense of real environment lighting. It's a cool scene/idea and you've made a good effort but you need to understand lighting and color in nature to pull off environments. Composition, narrative and POV are also important aspects of environment design.

All those decisions need to be worked out from thumbnails, lighting/value sketches, perspective drawing, etc....as arenhaus said - before any painting should be happening.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals