Beginner Question on Learning/Practice

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginner Question on Learning/Practice

Little intro about me:
    I have recently began to have an interest in drawing again as I used to be extremely artistic as a child ,but as many have, got swayed away from the art scene.

Reason for starting the thread:
    I have been reading and watching every book/video I can find on how to improve my drawing skills to a more professional level. From what I have found learning gesture,shape,perspective,lighting,texture anatomy/function and drawing from that knowledge when drawing what you see..and not just drawing what you see( hope i made that make sense) and then adding your personal style as a technique/tool.

I also understand that drawing drawing drawing is the best way to improve both the execution of the drawing itself and building of a visual library to work with, and as I stopped as a child I have a long way to go to catch up with a pro who kept building that library.

BUT and this is my problem I am the sort of person that gets anxiety and dislikes what I draw and end up screwing it up and binning it, even tho I know I have to push myself to improve, so my real question is any tips to get past this uncomfortable stage.
    Is it more important that I practice my straight lines and circle/ellipses and perspective grids etc day in day out ( which starts to bore me and makes it hard to start actually practice day to day) but I assume if I do I would be happier when I actually draw something as my pen/pencil skills will have improved. Or do I just practice a little and proceed to draw something I like, even if I may not like the result and just push on through so to say?

I also must be truthful and say I haven't drawn anything in awhile and I am stuck in a rut, reading and watching art tutorials as an excuse to delay actually drawing anything, it is improving my knowledge but I know unless I put pen to paper nothing will improve (muscle memmory, subconscious and visual library ).

I know I answer ALOT of my own questions, but Id love to hear some advice from anyone who had similar problems and if they have any advice/tips or even how they scheduled their time/learning.

Last edited by Xopher; August 12th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    I have been reading and watching every book/video I can find on how to improve my drawing skills to a more professional level. From what I have found learning gesture,shape,perspective,lighting,texture anatomy/function and drawing from that knowledge when drawing what you see..and not just drawing what you see( hope i made that make sense) and then adding your personal style as a technique/tool.
    If you want to learn how to draw, then draw. Yes, there is some theory to be read and understood, but from now on, just draw.

BUT and this is my problem I am the sort of person that gets anxiety and dislikes what I draw and end up screwing it up and binning it, even tho I know I have to push myself to improve, so my real question is any tips to get past this uncomfortable stage.
    Draw your way through. As Nicolaides puts it, the first 1000 drawings you do, will be bad, so go through these as quickly as you can. You're like somebody who just started running, and who discovered he will not win a marathon for the next couple of years.

Is it more important that I practice my straight lines and circle/ellipses and perspective grids etc day in day out ( which starts to bore me and makes it hard to start actually practice day to day) but I assume if I do I would be happier when I actually draw something as my pen/pencil skills will have improved. Or do I just practice a little and proceed to draw something I like, even if I may not like the result and just push on through so to say?

Who tells you to draw straight lines and circles day in and out? Have fun!

I know I answer ALOT of my own questions, but Id love to hear some advice from anyone who had similar problems and if they have any advice/tips or even how they scheduled their time/learning.
    Shut up and draw!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You mentioned in your other thread that you have 4 kids. I bet this means that you don't have a lot of spare time and you feel pressure to have your drawing sessions not feel like a "waste" and to have whatever drawing you're attempting to be successful. But art involves a lot of failed drawings, so if you approach it with a task-based, success-based mindset you're going to fail yourself right out of wanting to try again.

Maybe you should set up a session or two during the week where you draw with your kids and just screw around. Doing some drawing that doesn't need to look good but can just be fun and stupid will go a long way towards making you actually want to draw.

Also, you might want to look at more art. There's many, many ways to do art. Even if your eventual goal is a certain kind of realistic illustration, an occasional detour into other forms of art that don't involve perspective grids and instructional videos will do you some good. Anything that will get you out of your rut is good.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can't make yourself be an artist. I f you gave it up because people talked you out of it, then you probably don't have what it takes. If you tear up everything you do out of frustration then you won't move forward. Art is achieved by actually doing it not by talking about it. If you are unwilling to draw and paint and finish thousands of images to get good enough to start a professional journey forget it and just dabble because its not for you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Thank you all for the great replies.

Elwell
    I might grab the kindle edition thanks

eezacque@xs4all.nl
    Shut up and draw!
    Lol yeh I get the point

vineris
    You mentioned in your other thread that you have 4 kids. I bet this means that you don't have a lot of spare time and you feel pressure to have your drawing sessions not feel like a "waste" and to have whatever drawing you're attempting to be successful. But art involves a lot of failed drawings, so if you approach it with a task-based, success-based mindset you're going to fail yourself right out of wanting to try again.
    Yeh it does make it difficult, funnily enough my son is a great little artist so I should sit down and draw more often with him. My interests are in industrial design/concept art I have so many ideas I just hope to improve my skills to match the ideas ..

dpaint
    You can't make yourself be an artist. I f you gave it up because people talked you out of it, then you probably don't have what it takes. If you tear up everything you do out of frustration then you won't move forward. Art is achieved by actually doing it not by talking about it. If you are unwilling to draw and paint and finish thousands of images to get good enough to start a professional journey forget it and just dabble because its not for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I screw up and throw drawings away all the time.. I kinda enjoy it, in fact sometimes when I'm bored I put the waste paper basket at the other end of the room and see if I can make the shot from my drawing table lol But before I do that I take a look at the drawing and try to figure out where it went wrong, like "oh yea... I see now, the perspective is off, oh well lets do another!..... W00t, three pointer!".

Making mistakes doesn't have to be and shouldn't be thought of as a bad thing. As long as you can see where you went wrong and understand how to avoid that mistake next time.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL true,I think I just needed to hear how others dealt with it and just the fact that I wasn't alone in getting frustrated. Even though I knew it, but knowing and somebody actually saying 'just draw dude and sht fck up' are two different things...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend reading the Fuck Yeah thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135551

Also pretty much all the threads in the 'Need Motivation, Inspiration Or just a good Kick in The Ass?, Then look In here' thread, which is a sticky.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LMAO fuck yeah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    LMAO fuck yeah!
    Gets me out of a rut every time haha! Best thread ever eye em oh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How ironic is that this reading this thread is exactly how to not spend time drawing.

I dont think you need motivations, i think you need a way out. Because once you draw something you feel good for the first time all will be resolved.

I was once like you too. The first few weeks when i got back to drawing i just praticed straight line, oval, eclipse, etc + reading tuts and threads on art sites, downloaded hundreads of GB of tuts in my PC. But after a while i realize all i could draw were still line, circle, cube and cylinder. That's all.

So 1st thing i do: stop coming to this site to read threads, at all.
    Stop downloading tutorial, stop reading advance stuff. Start with beginner books.
    I would recommend Betty Edward's "drawing from the right side of the brain". I practice the first few excercises as i read, then i read it to the end. Then i give myself three day to practice those excercises, then move on with the remaining lessons. I followed that route and i find it helpful.

2nd: Stop using line practice as warm up. Instead move straight to drawing from life from what i can find on my table: cups, fruits, etc. Sometime i just outline, sometime i finish, whatever as long as there are stuff on the paper.
    Also do not just draw cube and cylinder, draw actual thing on your table.

3rd: i start copying line art i find on google. Up side down drawing help to.
    move from simple to complex. It help with the "drawing what you see", also help you learn to eye-balling little ratio and composition.
    once i completed a very complex drawing for my level at that time, i felt confident that whatever other artist can do, i can do it too.

4th: stop binning my drawing. instead i draw everyday and date everything, and put them in a folder on my desk. you have to be able to draw what you see first, before you can draw what you remember and what you imagine. So stop drawing what in your head and end up throwing your drawing in the trash can.

and only after all that did i move on to advance stuff like anatomy, perspective and color theory. I didnt touch those stuff because they would mess up my basic.

so once you reach that "i can do this, i can draw!" milestone, everything become easy. Drawing is no longer a chore and a frustrastion but instead i often so immerse myself in drawing that i lose track of time.

Another thing i want to say is: When people reach some level, they seem to forget how they were before. So everytime some newbie make a thread ask for guidance, the defaul answer seem to be "just draw". The journey was so long that people forget how they were and what and how they did to get to that level.

It's like how a non-smoker just nonchalantly tell a smoker "Can you just stop smoking ?"
    Or a skinny guys tell an over-weight guys "Can you just stop eating so much?"
    So when it come to ask the pro for advice it becomes just like this
    "can you just pick up the pencil and draw and be good ? I just did it, how can you not ?"
    for some people, the process of getting good come so natural that they assume everyone can do it just as easy.

Sorry for the wall text

this thread was fun and all until i have to slap myself in the face, to get my "i must be serious about this shit" face on and get back to drawing.

Last edited by Marverick; August 13th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marverick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xopher .. you drawing yet? .. what are you doing reading this thread?! go back to your drawing!!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mind the wall of text shows you put in the effort to think about what you're writing at least. I see what you are saying and I'll try and take your advice onboard thanks for the reply.

On another note is their a link to peoples sketchbook or submitted art etc on the profile page or do I have to search posts or usernames?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41
    or this
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101501

incase you are talking about those people in the banner up there, i dont think they have sketchbook thread because they are already pro and/or forum staffs, or atleast i havent found their thread yet.

but one thread that's specially recommended is the MindCandyMan's sketchbook
    I recommend that if you can, skim through it in one go and get back to drawing as fast as posible.
    This is all the motivation you need, read anymore would be time wasting and delaying from drawing.
    You see one you see them all. Everyone level up in a similar rate. Looking at stuff above your current level would only result in frustration with your own ability.

Still, it's not like we can force you to do anything, you have to force yourself.
    good luck with your journey.

Last edited by Marverick; August 13th, 2012 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got that book on amazon kindle, amazing read, really helped thanks again Elwell

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.