Starting to paint

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting to paint

Greeting CA. In college I came to my senses and took art classes but they were all drawing and digital. I usually color in color pencil and have tried in soft and oil pastels, thinking it was a good bridge to painting, but failed miserably. So I never got around to learning to paint. The only painting I did was in color theory, but it was more so mixing colors and doing color exercises, not making proper "paintings".

I have the acrylic paint, oil paint, thick paper, and brushes. Now all I have to do is learn to use them. So were do I start? And I mean from the absolute bear basics. I tried painting the other day (a garbage can from life) and I mixed the colors (they turned out sort of accurate I guess) but I could not fashion it into an actual "painting." How do you get from mixed colors and blank paper/canvas to painting.

As seen in my sketchbook, I'm capable of painting digitally, if you want to call them paintings.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,637 Times in 3,790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on what you're going for. If you're going to do it in one sitting, making sure each brush stroke puts the correct colour down first time helps. Hold your paintbrush out in front of you against the bit you're going to paint to check. Make a few messes to find out what does and what doesn't work. You're not going to get it right first time, so you might as well enjoy the process.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have an image of the garbage can to post?

(I'm guessing in advance that you're having a problem with getting your acrylics to produce the "values" that you need.)

You might try 0 to 10 value charts-- both in grayscale and colors-- to drill on physically getting the paint to do what you want it to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Oil Painting for the Serious Beginner" by Steve Allrich is a pretty decent starting place. So is Macpherson's "Fill Your Paintings With Color and Light". IMHO you're best bet is to do some research into teh artists you admire and see if they offer classes or a workshop. Then take one - any decent teacher usually has no trouble with beginning level students, and you'll take three giant steps forward.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.