Tyrion

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tyrion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tyrion

For practice, I decided to take on of the GoT characters and do a caricature of them based more on their personality and reception than their actual look on the HBO series. So this isn't trying to be a 100% on actor.

I am however trying to get a strong sense of form, appeal, and emotion in this piece. But as always, I seem to be having trouble in the color and depth department. XD Please give me some tips or minor redlines! I've been looking at Rococo art for inspiration.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there!

Color wise, I think this is starting to gain some momentum--I like the warm tones. I would dial back some of the intensity for the hair, It looks a little too saturated and it starts to get messy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, the way the lighting is falling on the characters face is making him the form look very flat when it should be rounding and falling off in all directions. People think portraits are easy to do but there really hard to pull off well as people are very used to seeing them and will be put off if there is the smallest error. Try doing more anatomy studies and more still life studies. However on this piece here's a lighting scheme that will show the form much better. I'm not sure what likeliness your trying to get but the it doesn't really matter. My paint over sort of looks like Luke Skywalker. Peace!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Chris Sanders:
    Thanks for the critique and redline! When I was originally doing this I was a bit inspired by Loish and Phobs. But I see that I have failed in that regard or maybe need more construction on the face like you mentioned.

I like the way his eyes came out in mine but I much prefer the stern look you gave him in the mouth and the sense of lighting you have going on within your redline as well. Maybe I could mix what I consider to be the best of both worlds? I'll mess around with the face and direction of lighting later tonight and see what I come up with. Again, much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fair enough on the eyes, to tell the truth i was just painting on top of the image and wasn't looking at the original and one thing led to the other and i must have unwittingly painted out the tilt to the eyes, I never really try and emulate caricature or any type of style so they sort of defaulted back to realism... but yeah it doesn't matter what you do with the features as long as you reference well and tune your mind to becoming rendering software lol.

Also had to add, a red line is when someone corrects your drawing or composition with an actual red round brush like the image below, what I've done above is just a paint over.

Peace!

Tyrion

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Chris Sanders:
    Your crit was still quite helpful! Although I know I'm not quite there yet with what I want to achieve on this piece.

I think at this point I'm getting closer at having a more solid anatomical structure but I know that it can still be pushed more in the contrast of shadows and lighting and color buildup to build a more 3D form on this 2D format.

Something that is working against me to is that I'm working on a PC which has a different color calibration than my Mac so everything looks a lot more red on my Mac than it does on my PC... which will be a bitch to correct later on.

Anyways, here's the second look which is a huge improvement from the first, but as said, could use more work.

As always, critiques are awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Better, still looks flat however. light should be falling off in a gradient as the form turns from the light source. Also knock out the whole image in the base colours. that will help the image progress as a whole piece. I also don't like the brush your using for hair, learn to paint the form with a standard brush, if your using a brush to cheat actually rendering it it will become a crutch and you wont have a proper understanding of it!

Also that's not a critique, Davis. If you want to say hello email him.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.