Sketchbook: An attempt to gain confidence.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: An attempt to gain confidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry An attempt to gain confidence.

As the title says, this is an attempt to gain confidence in my artistic abilities. I would say I'm not the worst, but I could do so much better, and I constantly get discouraged in drawing because of my lack of skill. I don't draw very frequently as it's just a hobby, but let's see if I can improve. = ) I apologize for my scanner's low quality, it isn't very good.

The following drawings are mostly from observation, with an exception of one or two sketches. Help is very much welcome. = )

(I'll make sure to reduce the image sizes in the future... The images are huge. @_@; )

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by CooleManTheMaster; January 12th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good start. Keep studying you're on the right path. Im also new don't get discouraged look at your old stuff and see the progress always helps out, anyway good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobitt For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude! dont get discouraged! even the greatest art masters feel what your feeling. frustration happens in art all the time! and to answer your question that you wrote on one of your sketch pages "should i take a break? or should i push through the frustration?" - you should do both... if your feeling really frustrated, sometimes it helps to take a short break, but then really try to jump back into it with a vengeance! you need to make art your bitch. slap it around. and tell it that it wont get the best of you! your practice studies are looking good! keep those up! seriously, youll be improving in not time if you keep your dedication up! i wish you the best!
    -oh yea! and welcome to CA!!!
    -Nick

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you to both of you! = )

These next few sketches are just that. Sketches, haha. Some ok, some bad, but it's all a part of the improvement. I drew from references from pixel-lovely, Loomis books, and random pictures I took from the internet. I also attempted to draw a 30 or so minute self portrait, and it has some resemblance to me, though it is a bit inaccurate in technical composition. I'm feeling somewhat better about my skill, so maybe next time I'll have something from my imagination posted. = )

Holy goodness. How do I make my images smaller? @_@;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job! A nice amount of work here already. You practice human anatomy, and especially heads/faces a lot, that'll get you places.

Do you have anything you like to draw that you feel is easy to make look good? Your studies look good, it's not that (seeing progress already!), I'm thinking of working on your confidence. Something you can draw those days it feels like nothing looks good, something to fall back on for good self-esteem. I find that helps sometimes, you could give it a whirl. And keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nouge View Post
    Good job! A nice amount of work here already. You practice human anatomy, and especially heads/faces a lot, that'll get you places.

Do you have anything you like to draw that you feel is easy to make look good? Your studies look good, it's not that (seeing progress already!), I'm thinking of working on your confidence. Something you can draw those days it feels like nothing looks good, something to fall back on for good self-esteem. I find that helps sometimes, you could give it a whirl. And keep it up!
    Thank you for the encouragement! = ) Come to think of it, I don't have anything that is effortless for me to draw. I CAN try to pick up a simplistic cartoony style, though, but I wouldn't know where to start or where to go with it, or if I'd even like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your style will come naturally, don't try to force one.

You're doing well with your anatomy studies, especially your clean lines are quite good, try to keep that up and don't be discouraged by mistakes. Analyze your mistakes and try to do it better the next time you draw something similar.
    Improvement takes time and your diligence will pay off.

Edit: Oh and try to do some muscle studies and at least take a look at the skeleton, it's important to know whats underneath the skin to understand why you're putting shadows at some specific point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to birdscanfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies so far! I'd say you have nothing to be depressed about -the last figures are a huge improvement to the earlier ones you posted and the hands are also coming along nicely
    Like birdscanfly has said, you should definitely learn more about the human skeleton and muscles -that kind of background knowledge will make it much more easy to attach the arms to torsos and other such things c:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, just keep studying, it's the only way to improve! I'm sure you knew that already though, keep it up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there as NickyBeats said you ve got to make art your bitch (well said btw) set a daily goal equal to the time you dedicate into art dont get discouraged art is a huge huge topic and has unlimited aspects illustration graphic design 3d etc you should focus on getting a daily habbit on doing stuff and with practise and patience nice stuff will come along the way loomis books are great for starting out so just keep it up m8

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't get discouraged. Everyone has to start somewhere! I agree that your already improving. If you really want something, never give up! All of these talented people here were where your at one day. It's all about practice, practice, practice, patience, persistence, and coffee.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Enlightened One For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hallelujah 4 the coffee you ve got that right included in the artistic equipment

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a break because of school and various other things happening, and it shows. ;_; I also think that the way I'm practicing isn't the best way. I have studied muscles and the skeleton, I downloaded some artist's anatomy books and used those months ago (I don't have those posted here,) but when I still try to draw from my head, it doesn't really come out very well. I've had one person tell me that I shouldn't draw straight from reference, meaning I shouldn't look back and forth and back and forth at my drawing and the reference, that I should take in the subject, try to memorize it, and draw what I can remember. Once I forget, then look back, and do the same thing. Will that help solidify things in my mind? I notice that the issue I have is envisioning accurate 3D space and putting it on a 2D surface. I know I have to do that, it's been made clear to me, but developing that skill is proving difficult for me. Same goes with having clean, precise lines.I know to use my arm to draw and not just my wrist, but having a clear subject in mind is my main obstacle before I can put the lines where I want them to go, cleanly. Also, should I continue using the attachment tool from this site? The size limit is so small compared to other sites, where bulk image site uploaders' limit are around 10MB. That would be so much easier than trying to reduce the file size of the images I have.

Name:  Image (2).png
Views: 77
Size:  1.08 MBName:  Image (4).png
Views: 77
Size:  994.1 KBName:  Image (6).png
Views: 72
Size:  1.40 MBName:  Image (7).png
Views: 83
Size:  1.14 MBName:  Image (3).png
Views: 71
Size:  1.34 MBName:  Image (5).png
Views: 76
Size:  1.11 MBName:  Image.png
Views: 69
Size:  1.30 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't drawn in forever. OTL With school getting in the way and me wanting to do lots of different things during winter break, I haven't done much drawing. I started a 30DC with my friend at the beginning of this January, and I started out digitally, and became very frustrated at my lack of ability. It's like starting back from square one again. After day 7, instead of pitying myself, I became frustrated at myself for my lack of ability and drew for about 4 hours. In those four hours, looking at what I drew and what I drew before, I could notice some improvement from back then, although marginal. Drawing just frustrates me sometimes, but it's nice to see that I have been getting a little better. I just need months, if not years, more practice to be where I want to be...

Also, I don't like shading in pencil, haha. I don't know how you guys do it. The pencil covers so little surface area, so I'd have to be at a drawing for a while to shade it evenly and precisely. It doesn't help that the mechanical pencil I use is only HB. Shading with a single mechanical pencil is eh for me, ha.

As for the orange-ish pages below, I do believe you can view a higher resolution image here. I had to make it smaller to accommodate the size limits of CA. I used my camera to take a picture of it, and the lighting in my room is orange, so it came out orange, but my camera is sharper than my scanner since my scanner is pretty bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just posting the second half of the incomplete page I posted earlier, before I forget. With reference. Still need tons more practice, but with 20 credit hours of school, a 16 hour a week internship, a job, getting ready to move, and needing to complete a transfer application for a university... Let's just say I need to manage my time amazingly well. >_<

Last edited by CooleManTheMaster; January 14th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1