Art: London, London (It's So City)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following

London, London (It's So City)

My time to spam. I finally finished this animation after starting it 7 years ago (no, I haven't been working on it all that time). It's the reason why I started drawing again - I though how hard can it be? Ha!

The main character sure went through a transformation.

Name:  martin.png
Views: 616
Size:  45.4 KB

I might have finished sooner, but I only got the final re-engineered music back a couple of weeks ago, after someone who said they'd do it (after the first re-engineer, which I'd paid for) let me down.

Enjoy and please leave mocking comments.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...not bad for a first timer, but I think you could take this advice I have:
    1. While you have decent lip-sync, there wasn't much in terms of actual character animation and would suggest that you look up the book "Cartoon Animation" by Preston Blair.
    2. I noticed that you used the trace bitmap function a lot for those backgrounds. While that's fine for sprite movies, but you should've used those pictures as references and drew them from scratch.
    3. In addition to what I said in 2, your backgrounds are also inconsistent in style. Ranging in from trace bitmap to wonky pencil-tool drawn backgrounds.
    By the way, which program did you use to make this?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't use a bit map trace - have a look through my SB, most of them are drawn from Google Streetview. The whole idea of having different styles on the background was 1) I ran out of time and 2) to emphasise the difference found in London.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    My time to spam. I finally finished this animation after starting it 7 years ago (no, I haven't been working on it all that time). It's the reason why I started drawing again - I though how hard can it be? Ha!

The main character sure went through a transformation.

Name:  martin.png
Views: 616
Size:  45.4 KB

I might have finished sooner, but I only got the final re-engineered music back a couple of weeks ago, after someone who said they'd do it (after the first re-engineer, which I'd paid for) let me down.

Enjoy and please leave mocking comments.

Hahahaha! It's Sherlock from the new BBC! although I kinda wish you'd kept one of the earlier versions. How much fun would that be!

I think it gets pretty repetitive fairly quickly, but it has a quirky charm about it - so I'm going to say I like it. rock on!

Now I'm going to disagree with EVERYTHING Fighting Seraph said, because...well. I think he's wrong. (sorry, dude.)

1. the lipsynch - sometimes it's too early. sometimes it's late..sometimes it's just right! The teeth flash a bit because they change size, and this is probably the most distracting part. However you were smart by not having the teeth vanish completely then come back. That's just more practice/experimentation. Are you using a program to scrub through the track and figure out what frame the consonants are hitting?

2. Not everything needs to have super-clean inbetweened animation. Just look at South Park.

3. I LIKE how the backgrounds change styles - sometimes I wish they even were a little quirkier in places. (And more variety in shot sizes - you show a lot of pieces of buildings, but not a lot of full buildings; that's just a matter of contrast.)

Hahahaha..animation..easy...I thought the same thing too, to be fair. But yay for finishing it! I'm sorry I don't have any mocking comments. Some small critique:

USUALLY any shot for less than 8 frames is too quick**. (the mind the gap right after the yellow subway scene I missed the first time) A jump cut also snuck by - you have a red bus leave screen left, a yellow bus enter screen right, then the very next spot a red bus is in the spot where the yellow bus had just been - and they are very similar sizes. (this actually might have worked as a jump cut if a red bus hadn't just left the previous scene.)

**there are ways to make very quick shots work in sequence, but it takes very specific planning.

Also, has anyone noticed there are no forum moderators for this area? We're like the wild wild west!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Alice

The final soundtrack only came back 2 days before I finished. It did mess up some of the lip-synch. My husband is the guilty party who kept saying he'd do it and didn't. I gave up and sent it back to the engineer to re-tweak it and then chopped a minute out of it. The track came from a 30 year old cassette tape, slightly stretched in places.

The main character is based on the lead singer who passed away in 1999.

This is entirely stop-frame. Some bits took about 5 hours to do 4 seconds. I've been working on average 6 hours a day on it on top of my paying job, so it's no surprise I messed in a few areas.

It was a yellow truck not a bus. I thought changing the background from the Gherkin to the Lloyds Building would be sufficient to break the scene. Should have started the first scene earlier and had the truck drive right across the screen.

I know what you mean about not seeing all the backgrounds. Some of them are repeated as actual backgrounds, but a couple weren't finished so I cheated.

I was going to do an actual tube train along with the Mind the Gap shot, but never got round to it.

I also think I got the last two frames of the Harrods scene the wrong way round. Bugger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the ignorant comments on my behalf.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done, dudette.

The background are lovely to look at, and the song's cool. At first I thought his was one of Geldoff's, but guess I was wrong .

The only comment I have against it is that the crowd scenes where the crowd gets flipped every other frame was kinda bothersome. But, I get why you did it like that.

But, thumbs up! Be proud

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mossi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on finishing a maaaaaaaaaaaaassive nearly 4 minutes of animation. Yeah, lip-synch... It's a good exercise to practice 2 or 3 short sentences with basic phonems (on model). There are tons of tuts out there but if you're interested in practicing it here, I'm sure you'll get help (at least I'm offering to).
    And having the sound 2 days before final edit? Unacceptable! Tell your hubby!
    Aside from that, I like the looping taxis and the evolution of your character.

p.s.: I was in London when you posted this

14. The Following User Says Thank You to egerie For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.