Free simple drawing software Speedy Painter

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Free simple drawing software Speedy Painter

Hi to all!
    I've developed a simple and FREE drawing software called "SpeedyPainter".

I think this could be a useful resource for sketching and creating drawing processes demos. Indeed, among its features you have the possibility to export the whole drawing process in a file, and replay it again. It can also export the drawing process directly in an avi video file.
    Another useful feature is the "reference view", by which you can load a reference in a separate view and all the movements (zoom & pan) you apply to the canvas will be reflected in the reference view.

Here is a list of the program features:
    . Multiple layers
    . Reference view that follows canvas movements! Available pressing the F3 key
    . Export drawing process into a video: ready to upload it on YouTube!
    . Ability to vary stroke size and/or opacity according to pen pressure (supports Wacom tablets)
    . Replay of drawing process
    . Import/export drawing process
    . Loading of most common image formats
    . Canvas rotation
    . Canvas flip
    . Selection mask

You can download the software here:
    http://speedypainter.altervista.org/

Here is a screenshot of the application:

and here you can see a simple video showing the "reference view" feature:

More videos are available in this video playlist:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjkY...ature=view_all

Hope this software could be useful to this wonderful community!
    Sincerely,
    Andrea

Last edited by buzzelli; October 4th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to try this but Avast is suspicious of it and won't allow it to launch, any ideas? It also just terminates on Launch in Windows 7 64bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I actually don't know what is happening with your avast, Speedy Painter has been tested and granted 100% clean by some of the most famous download sites, like softpedia:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...-Painter.shtml
    and freewarefiles:
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/Speedy-...ram_77288.html

If you still are not sure, try to scan it with some other antivirus, and see what they say about. There are some powerful online anti-viruses like bitdefender or kaspersky.

Regarding the second problem, in order to work properly, Speedy Painter requires a graphics card with OpenGL 2.0 capabilities. Maybe this can be the cause of your crash at startup (I know, I should fix that crash and show an error message when this happens ).

Sincerely,
    Andrea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried it.
    The interface is mostly intuitive and clean but there are a few things that are amiss:
    -The Shortcut for changing brush size assumes I use the mouse, I do not. why not do the traditional '[' and ']' ?
    -No ability to change brush on the fly and no brush engine. This is less critical but it would be nice to allow saving some brush presets.
    -Couldn't find how to add a new Layer
    -Need Zoom function.
    -Need Blending Brush (Smudge or Blur)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LightandDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As LightAndDark said, some optional extra brush size controls would be great.

I have noticed I can use one of my Stylus buttons to access a floating colour pallete and brush size slider, which is handy but still slower than tapping my [/] keys, a simple system that *works* and every digital artist knows.

On the note of the colour pallete, WHY IS IT SO SMALL?! D:

I'm running a small LCD monitor, 1280x1024 in native resolution, primitive by today's standards, and the pallete is so small I cannot make fine adjustments in colour, it's very frustrating trying to pixel-hunt my way around a rich pallete only an inch wide.

Blending tools also vital. I've been taking an ALT sample of a colour, very gently nudging the colour selector, then turning brush opacity down to gently create a middling tone between two zones of colour, but this is a very time-consuming method.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    Tried it.
    The interface is mostly intuitive and clean but there are a few things that are amiss:
    -The Shortcut for changing brush size assumes I use the mouse, I do not. why not do the traditional '[' and ']' ?
    -No ability to change brush on the fly and no brush engine. This is less critical but it would be nice to allow saving some brush presets.
    -Couldn't find how to add a new Layer
    -Need Zoom function.
    -Need Blending Brush (Smudge or Blur)
    Hi!
    Thank you for the interesting suggestions.
    - I think i will add the brush size shortcuts soon, I never use them in other painting programs since I have an old wacom graphire that has a mousewheel on it, so I always use it for zooming or changing brush size. Thank you for making me notice this lack.
    - A brush engine is under development, i hope it will be ready soon.
    - The same applies to multi-layer capabilities, they are under development, and i hope to add them in the next release of speedy painter.
    - Zoom is available using the mousewheel, again, i think i should add a combination of a modifier key + mouse movement, to make it easier to access to that function when it is not easy to reach a mousewheel in our working area (again, my graphire tablet made me used to a not very diffused habit).
    - Blending/Smudge: you are right, I should add those tools, I hope they won't be too difficult to implement

Thank you again! I am glad to receive suggestion about the ways i should follow to improve my software directly from artists of this wonderful community!
    Sincerely,
    Andrea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for sharing your product with us, I feel the software has great potential and could become a very handy tool for artists.
    However at its present moment stage the program lacks a lot of basic/fundamental tools and brushes, having only a single brush. Layer types like overlay and multiply will be neccessary and useful. Definetly an option of blending brushes, or, make normal brushes adjustable to where they can go from opaque hue and paint -to- a clear blender and blur.
    So far the only brush has a very photoshop style layering effect with strokes, which is nice, but maybe this could be a type of brush setting where the others are more simple in natural media simulation. Doesnt have to be superb with texture and detail like they did in Painter, which is one of the main reasons they lag a lot. Processor has to chug down on all that detail going on in a stroke.

Looking good so far, and I especially like the avi and reply options you put in! Very wonderful additions.
    Keep it going!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Quofalcon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quofalcon View Post
    Thank you for sharing your product with us, I feel the software has great potential and could become a very handy tool for artists.
    However at its present moment stage the program lacks a lot of basic/fundamental tools and brushes, having only a single brush. Layer types like overlay and multiply will be neccessary and useful. Definetly an option of blending brushes, or, make normal brushes adjustable to where they can go from opaque hue and paint -to- a clear blender and blur.
    So far the only brush has a very photoshop style layering effect with strokes, which is nice, but maybe this could be a type of brush setting where the others are more simple in natural media simulation. Doesnt have to be superb with texture and detail like they did in Painter, which is one of the main reasons they lag a lot. Processor has to chug down on all that detail going on in a stroke.

Looking good so far, and I especially like the avi and reply options you put in! Very wonderful additions.
    Keep it going!
    Hi,
    Thank you for the nice comment and useful suggestions!
    I am pleased to inform you that the new release of SpeedyPainter (v2.0), available at the same location, finally introduces a first implementation of multilayer support!
    For now the application supports only a "normal" blending mode, but I plan to add at least a "multiply" mode in the near future.

Talking about brushes, the application actually has 2 different brushes: a normal round brush, with adjustable hardness and opacity, and a textured brush. You can switch between them using the third check box on the upper right. I know, I probably should add some text near every single GUI widget to make it more intuitive.

Here you can see a legend of the gui widgets:

The textured brush is quite simple, but it can be used to obtain a more "traditional like" effect. The brush texture is actually a simple png file, so everyone is free to replace it with another brush texture.

I think that one of the advantages of the drawing algorithm of SpeedyPainter is that the size of the brush doesn't affects the drawing speed; so you can set a 500px wide brush, and you will still have no lag while drawing a stroke.

Thank you for the support and the encouragement, i really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Andrea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am liking the new update version so far. And you are right, the brush stays at a same pace no matter the brush diameter, very cool! You should teach this to Corel! haha

So far I am wondering why the brush strokes have that 'delayed' lag behind feel when I stroke. I dont know if its my own computer or what. Meaning, when I stroke from point A to B, the brush isnt right with the cursor instead it 'lags' behind. Feels like I am pulling something through water. Cool effect but a bit displeasing.
    Could this be the software? I dont know. Would like to see this fixed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Quofalcon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Trying this out now. My first impression? I'm really impressed. Going to play around with it
    and give a more in-depth review soon.

The old skool disk icon for saving was a nice touch. Funny how timeless that is.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quofalcon View Post
    I am liking the new update version so far. And you are right, the brush stays at a same pace no matter the brush diameter, very cool! You should teach this to Corel! haha

So far I am wondering why the brush strokes have that 'delayed' lag behind feel when I stroke. I dont know if its my own computer or what. Meaning, when I stroke from point A to B, the brush isnt right with the cursor instead it 'lags' behind. Feels like I am pulling something through water. Cool effect but a bit displeasing.
    Could this be the software? I dont know. Would like to see this fixed.
    Thank you for the comment! I am glad you appreciate the new improvements in latest version.
    About the brush strokes lag, I am not very sure of what happens in your case. The stroke has a fixed spacing of 1/8 of the brush size, so sometimes you can see the stroke updating only when the cursor surpasses that distance from the previous drawn point, this is more noticeable with bigger brushes. But, actually this is the desired behaviour i wanted to implement, and i think also other drawing softwares do the same. I plan in the future to make the spacing value to be configurable, so users can set a smaller spacing, if desired.

Thank you for the nice comment, and i hope you will like the next features I am planning to add in the next versions of the software!
    Sincerely,
    Andrea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Trying this out now. My first impression? I'm really impressed. Going to play around with it
    and give a more in-depth review soon.

The old skool disk icon for saving was a nice touch. Funny how timeless that is.
    Thank you for the kind comment, I am glad you appreciate the software!
    Can't wait for your in-depth review, and, if you have some suggestions, they will be very appreciated.

Yes, those icons are very beautiful, i took them from an awesome free icon pack created by a design company called yummygum.

Thank you again for the nice words!
    Kind regards,
    Andrea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzelli View Post
    Thank you for the comment! I am glad you appreciate the new improvements in latest version.
    About the brush strokes lag, I am not very sure of what happens in your case. The stroke has a fixed spacing of 1/8 of the brush size, so sometimes you can see the stroke updating only when the cursor surpasses that distance from the previous drawn point, this is more noticeable with bigger brushes. But, actually this is the desired behaviour i wanted to implement, and i think also other drawing softwares do the same. I plan in the future to make the spacing value to be configurable, so users can set a smaller spacing, if desired.

Thank you for the nice comment, and i hope you will like the next features I am planning to add in the next versions of the software!
    Sincerely,
    Andrea
    It would be easier to show a video, but I try to explain since it isnt in my current availability. The best I can express is the brush lags behind your actual stroke. Like the stroke is attached to a piece of string being dragged along water, you holding the string. It stays the same no matter the brush size. Cool thing is it doesnt change speed on the size of the brush. But it would be nice to see this changed where it stays with the direct stroke location. Could it be just me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I am afraid the software has a strange behaviour on your machine.

In this video, at second 11, you can see that i write "Hello!!" on the drawing, this is how the actual behaviour should be..

I hope that newer versions of the application will solve this problem also on your machine

Thank you for the kind support and genuine interest in the application,
    Sincerely,
    Andrea

Members who have read this thread: 2