Thanks

Question What drives you?

Greetings all good folks of CA.org,

I'm a 34 year old graphic designer from Finland and I'm working in a small 5-man startup. We're currently drafting an idea about a social media service revolving around passions and challenges – a community of sorts that would encourage people to keep on doing the challenges they've taken on, reach their goals, help them grow and become better in whatever they want to do.
    I'm trying to find out if the creative community might find such service useful and how would it best serve your needs.

My own stake in this is that I come from an illustration background but have shifted to graphic design and web development during the dot-com craze and have seen my spark to draw dwindle ever since.
    I've tried to kickstart my old hobby more times than I can remember by joining 30-day drawing challenges, sculpting, working different materials like metal or wood but reigniting the passion for drawing still eludes me.
    So for me this is obviously a job but also hopefully a quest for finding a way to permanently bring back drawing into my life. And I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on challenges and their part in improving your creative skills.

-What drives you to improve? What do you do when you find out that drive is slowing down?
    -Do you use challenges as a way improve your skills or just to have fun (or both)?
    -Do you systematically set goals for yourself to improve your skill as an artist or as a professional. Do you reach those goals?
    -Do you find the web forum (as a platform) to be the best way to follow and take part in a challenge? Are there any problems?
    -What makes a successful and fun challenge? What makes a challenge less fun?
    -Imagine an ultimate site for art projects. How would it be and how would it look like?

I sincerely hope I'm not breaching too many codes of conduct with this

Thanks for your time,

Mikko

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    "What drives you to improve? What do you do when you find out that drive is slowing down?"

Remove distractions, remove excuses. When you have a pad of paper and a pencil on your desk with a large mirror on the wall in front of you, you have to work pretty hard to find an excuse to not draw.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EleMont For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't people usually get paid for participating in market research?

As for your spark to draw -- what drives me is a fear of mediocrity. So just get really really scared of being boring, uninspired, and unsuccessful. You'll find that spark again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Less intellectualizing, more "Happy Little Trees."

(After all, "everday's a good day when you paint.")

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    -What drives you to improve? What do you do when you find out that drive is slowing down?
    I need money, but I'm not good enough for anyone to pay me, so I need to improve. I also have a few books I want to write and illustrate one day. I have started one of them though . When motivation goes down and the passion dies, I'm clueless. I can't tell a sure way to climb up from that.

-Do you use challenges as a way improve your skills or just to have fun (or both)?
    Bouth. Challenges are a great way to improve.

-Do you find the web forum (as a platform) to be the best way to follow and take part in a challenge? Are there any problems?
    Yeah. Forums are great.

-What makes a successful and fun challenge? What makes a challenge less fun?
    A successful and fun challenge is one where everyone can participate and where people critique each others work. A challenge is less fun when only the good artists can join or when there is only one logical winner (You know, when one entry looks amazing and all other entries look like crap).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebones View Post
    Don't people usually get paid for participating in market research?
    Touché!

I know it's asking a lot to give your ideas for free and I'm painfully aware of causing noise on a forum like CA but even so let's say there's a way that could help more people get better at their art or improve faster – maybe by somehow harnessing peer pressure better or easily showing you how much you've improved over time. Wouldn't that be worth shooting some ideas for just for the heck of it?

Anyway if this thing is ever to proceed further, I can easily see a small group of people from CA that could help develop and shape the idea further and be paid for their trouble. But since I'm not working for Nike or a company with a lot of money to spend I'll just have to rely on your good will and curiosity for now.

Maybe I'll be stoned to death but hey, at least I've heard your message and can contact Bob instead

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    What I train for, is who I am, and creativity is all that I am. It's in all aspects of my life. It's never gone, never fades, never waivers. It needs no stoking nor encouragement because it never dwindles.

Awake or sleeping, the drive is there, so I cannot give you an answer on how to spark your flame back to life.

Sorry.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director