Woman with Brown hair

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woman with Brown hair

Name:  brownhairedwoman_a.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  82.3 KB
    So I want some critique for this piece (don't worry too much about her hair and her dress, I'm not done with those yet unless you feel they are totally off).

I want critique for her face and how I could make her more 'alive'. Also tell me what you feel about her proportions.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to make her more alive, I'd suggest you to push your lighting abit, and decide a light source. Or is the light right ahead? that's what the clothes suggest. In that case, you can define the forms better by moving the light source a tad to the side. Another alternative is to make the colors warmer, put some red in shadows and yellow in highlights. Or make the background darker, and then also highen the contrast adding highlights and darker shadows. But I guess, you could do all of it as well, if you feel like it.

~~My Sketchbook!~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woman with brown hair - need various help

Alantyn, thank you for your advice. I will make them come to use during my next photoshop session. For now, I have worked on her hair quite a bit, along with a new set of lips and reworked eyes. I also started working with shadows, making her dress' shadows all wrong (so don't mind that!)

Name:  brownhairedwoman_b.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  114.1 KB

Alantyn's advices aside (they are great), what do you think about her hair? Anyone know how to make it more lifelike? I like it this far but I feel it's not quite there yet. More shadows maybe, and from the same direction as the face's shadows?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her shoulders seem too narrow. Next time draw out the whole upper body as an underdrawing and crop out the part you want. It's easier to get the proportions right if you draw even the parts that won't be seen.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about this now? Should i try more details on her dress or are those details enough? I don't want it to look sloppy.

And now as she is slightly "tilted" away from the camera, are her shoulders still too narrow?
    Vineris, thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that in the future.

Name:  brownhairedwoman_c.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  84.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The face is flat. The shading and highlights are all over the place. You need to have a direction for the light from that you determine the shadows for the forms. What is your reference for this? You need good reference to paint convincing images. Best to take your own photos than just copy things that aren't yours that way you can set up the lighting and stage the idea to your liking..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,522 Times in 3,716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What is going on with the base of her neck? Why have you cut one of her shoulder off? Why haven't you listened to any of the above posters? And stop using symbols for her eyes, not matter how good you think they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her eyes don't really look like real eyes, more like stylized version of eyes, or as Black Spot called them, symbols.
    The eyes are, well, eyeballs which are spherical, that have flesh wrapped around them to form the eyelids, and they need to reflect that - you need to show their occluded spherical nature trough their form. I'm bad with words, but, right now your eyes look very flat in shape.

The shoulders are uneven, and the blush on the right shoulder is very out of place and makes her look sunburnt

The face also falls quite flat, and the bridge of the nose has a bit of a weird shape.

I like the hair tho, so lush. More detailed and rendered could look beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit of a paintover:

Woman with Brown hair

First, proportion - the nose was too long. You can divide a face into thirds, with the distance from hairline to browline being the first third, brow to nose the second, and nose to chin the third. Also, the bridge of her nose was too curved and pronounced, giving it a melty sort of look.

Your colours are quite flat. Skintone has a lot of warmth and variation that you're missing; you've given it kind of a plasticky feel. The lighting is also suspect; it looks as though you're trying to light her directly from the front, like a camera flash, but moving the light source up a little bit will give her some more dimension. The eyes flatten out a lot, though you've tried to make them sit correctly - as nodeerskulls pointed out, eyeballs are spherical, and yours are kind of flat. I also added a little highlight along the top edge of her shirt - remembering that cloth is 3D can go a long way.

The hair is pretty good, but the shape of the whole could use a bit more thought, blending together the separate ribbons of hair a little more.

I also scribbled in a different area for the clavicle to start, but I might be wrong on that one. Might make her neck too long, I'm not sure. Hopefully some of this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dpaint: Best to take your own photos than just copy things that aren't yours that way you can set up the lighting and stage the idea to your liking..

Absolutely agree. Sadly I don't have a good reference photo for this art as you probably can tell. As this portrait is not of a real person (it's fan art of a character from a book), I only had a few drawn pictures and a description to go on. Taking my own reference photos would have been much MUCH easier. I haven't thought of the light in a reference photo that much before so thank you for pointing that out.

vineris: Next time draw out the whole upper body as an underdrawing and crop out the part you want. It's easier to get the proportions right if you draw even the parts that won't be seen.

I absolutely will do that next time, thank you for the advice!

Revidescent: Bit of a paintover: [presenting paintover]

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! You have no idea how much this helped me! This is just what I needed. Thank you thank you thank you!

Name:  brownhairedwoman_d.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  108.9 KB

This is the final version, I don't really need any more critique as I have to hand this in today (I can't change anything after this point). Any more advice would be strictly for my next work of art.

It's not perfect but I have learnt A LOT and I will adapt all my new knowledge to my next work of art. I just wanted to show you guys the difference.

Once again, thank you!

Ps. I skipped her dress all together, I never liked it in the first place. ds.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.