bowstaff fighter

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bowstaff fighter

bowstaff fighter

Opinions? I am starting to add colour now but any extra feedback would be really appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fix the anatomy problems. I means seriously what is going on with the raised hand? It looks like some of the fingers are melding together. I have no idea how his legs are going on under the clothes (did you draw the underlying body before drawing the clothes over it) and I'm not sure if he has a beard or some sort of scarf over his neck, and the eyes are lopsided.
    Also if the grays are supposed to be shadows, the make no sense. Did you have refs for this?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will upload the reference image later, this is my friend we were doing the images yesterday.

In answer to the questions, there was a tree in the way so the light scatters on the light side causing shadow on the lit side of his face, also he has a joint disorder which means his hand goes at a funny shape making it harder for me to draw. His fingers can bend back at 90 degrees so when he tenses his hand it forms an odd shape. As for his legs, its a fighting stance, As he teaches it I can only assume its correct.

How about constructive criticism rather than degradation hmm? If you actually threw some advice in there I would have been able to reply without the attitude. Work in progress means just that, I do hope you realise this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi platinguard,

Is this supposed to be a portrait type piece or a character painting? any chance of tweaking the pose and angle of viewpoint a bit? that might add a more dynamic flare. Maybe show the legs since i think in a fighting stance like this, the legs would help show the stability and power of the entire pose.

Yes, please upload the reference photo soon so we can see where you are coming from, also, maybe give us an idea of where exactly you wish to take this? I mean, what type of piece it will be and what you wish to accomplish.

Any specific areas you wish feedback on or just the entire piece in general? since asking for specific areas will help ppl give better feedback than a general one.

Im not very experienced and i have a lot to learn myself, but i'll try to help as much as i can

My Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Floopate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bowstaff fighter

There you are, Honestly I have not been doing this long, Like I dabbled. But this is the first time I am investing all my free time into something. As you can see the light source, the hand and so on are very odd. I am doing my best and although its not amazing considering my old work its a great improvement personally.

I uploaded the part where I have began to paint, this is my main aim to practice colour, I was not really interested in what I drew, but so long as it was good enough to apply various colour. Lots of my work is grey.

bowstaff fighter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your mouth and eyes are a little small i think. If your main goal is to practice color with this piece, why dont you go ahead and color it in then post it here then go from there?

My Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Floopate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinguard View Post
    As you can see the light source, the hand and so on are very odd.
    No, the hand isn't exactly "very odd", you just don't really seem to understand the anatomy and structure of the hand (or much else) and thus translate and draw it to be completely off. Even accounting the joint problems etc, from the photo it looks like the side of the palm is facing us, but the bright light has "burned through" the image and is obscuring the details of the fingers and you seem to just have guessed what was happening there. Same goes for the proportions (like you've drawn the end of his jacket lower than it should be and cut off the image so that it becomes even more awkward and his other eye which is further in his face than the other) and other structures (like the guy's form under his jacket), the ref (other than the white burn through) is not at fault and doesn't excuse the problems in this image (like you not drawing the other finger joints to the hand that's holding the staff).

Also I don't see the point of mentioning the tree's cast shadow, when you're doing the shadows totally differently than in your reference.
    Also if you're trying to colour something, rather try to get a ref image where the whites aren't totally burned through so you're not forced to guess the colours or better yet, paint something simple from life (like an apple, mug etc, not a photo) where you can actually concentrate on the colour.
    Not to mention it's hard to try to apply light and shadow to a subject that's not constructed properly in your drawing.
    Many books (Loomis and Bridgman, for example) go through the construction and form of human body, you'd be wise to start doing practicing from those and try to apply their methods to real humans.

Last edited by TinyBird; August 9th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank-you for your advice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.