Art Center Entertainment Design?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Center Entertainment Design?

Hi, I am thinking of applying to Art Center in Pasadena for the Entertainment Design programme. As an international student, basically I would apply in the hope that I receive a somewhat good scholarship, otherwise I wouldn't be able to attend. So I guess my portfolio needs to be really good. I know all of this sounds impossible but I guess I won't lose anything by trying. I have a few questions though, hope someone can answer:

- Is it necessary for the whole portfolio to be unified by a story, or can the individual pieces of artwork be based on different narratives of my invention?
    - My strength is environments. Is it too bad if I have, say, 8 pages on environments and 1 on characters and vehicles? xD
    - About how long does the portfolio need to be?

Any other thing you can think of, please tell. If you know of other good schools with similar programmes that might have good scholarships, I'd also appreciate that.

Last edited by jcbarquet; August 8th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Quote Originally Posted by jcbarquet View Post
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Art Center in Pasadena for the Entertainment Design programme. As an international student, basically I would apply in the hope that I receive a somewhat good scholarship, otherwise I wouldn't be able to attend. So I guess my portfolio needs to be really good. I know all of this sounds impossible but I guess I won't lose anything by trying. I have a few questions though, hope someone can answer:

- Is it necessary for the whole portfolio to be unified by a story, or can the individual pieces of artwork be based on different narratives of my invention?
- My strength is environments. Is it too bad if I have, say, 8 pages on environments and 1 on characters and vehicles? xD
- About how long does the portfolio need to be?

You can find my work here: www.jcbarquet.com
Any advice on how to turn that portfolio into a concept design portolio would be appreciated

Or any other thing you can think of, please tell. If you know of other good schools with similar programmes that might have good scholarships, I'd also appreciate that.
Have you been to ACCD's website at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, I know that I need to show different variations and sketches, but those aspects weren't really clear...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbarquet View Post
    Yep, I know that I need to show different variations and sketches, but those aspects weren't really clear...
    Have you contacted the school itself? A program counselor is going to be able to give you much more information than someone who hasn't attended the school recently. Maybe you can even ask if they can look at your portfolio and give you advice before you submit it as part as an official application process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128605

Couple of Art Center portfolios in there. Long thread, but if you're really interested, it's all there.

Also, if you haven't read it:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Skillful-H.../dp/0972667644

Couple of Art Center students made the book, so if you're at that level, you can probably get in with scholarships. Also, the reading is really informative.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was told the entertainment design program is one of their more exclusive programs and only lets in about 20 students a semester for that program.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey JC check your facebook man, surprised you didn't ask me D:

• Members who have read this thread: 13