Sketchbook: Biting the bullet- daily drawings - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Biting the bullet- daily drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last one is gorgeous. His face just pops, it's so lifelike.

Oho, grats on three pages

Last edited by nouge; October 8th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks nouge,

worked on the gradient some more, I can't get it as smooth as I want,

Name:  gradient3.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  34.2 KB

art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Head study of granddad,

Name:  dada.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  69.0 KB

First block in of the bargue, approx 4 hours,

Name:  bargue1.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  403.4 KB

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bargue block in attempt 2, first one was too detailed in the first pass, and not accurate enough, this is difficult,

Name:  blockin2.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  84.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is great man! great exercise, pretty scary. i should force myself to it soon.
    how long are you planing on spending in this one? and what medium are you using?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just read the quote in your signature in Drawing on the right side of the brain. Is that where you found it? Also, that drawing you're copying is very interesting. The way the thumb is so clear out of the shadows because of the contour and highlight is very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aragh: I'm using HB pencil at the moment, I will probably also use a H and 2H pencil as the drawing progresses. It will probably take around a month to complete, at least. First ever Bargue , you have to be really disciplined, great learning tool though

Nouge: I found the quote in 'The Art Spirit' by Robert Henri, a great book . I had a choice of five drawings, I selected this one because I liked it, it's pretty cool. Hard as hell to draw though, haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    attempting to refine block, not going too well, I think the width is wrong in several places and i'm unsure if I've gone too detailed, too soon,

Name:  bargue3.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  42.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    continuing block in slowly, approx 3-4 hours more today,

Name:  bargue4.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  37.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're very patient! Is this in exercise from a book?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nouge: Yes, this bargue is from the drawing course by Charles Bargue, I think there are over 200 plates. I'm studying at an online atelier, the plan is to do three of them, this is going to take a while to finish.

Update, only 1 and a half hours today, had a break. Sorry about the picture quality. Sort of gone backwards, had to redraw my center line because I've erased it too much, also redrew the lower left of the arm, re-positioned some shadow shapes that may need further re-positioning. I keep rechecking my measures, and they appear different every time, maybe it's the way I'm using string to check horizontal alignments? I don't think I'm getting perfect horizontals. Need to use my eyes more.

Name:  block in5.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  373.1 KB

Last edited by Mana16; October 15th, 2012 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Further update on bargue, approx another 4 hours or so,

Name:  b6.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  54.9 KB

Drawings of Grandad from life,

Name:  dada 1.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  74.9 KB

Drawings of feet from an anatomy book, drawings of hands from life,

Name:  dada 2.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  89.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your life drawings look great, as they tend to do. And the bargue is starting to look veeery sharp. Tried overlaying your drawing and the original in PS, and I couldn't see anything wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey swan how have you been? well I hope! I remember the last post I left on here, and then the site went down! I was immediately thinking "ohhhh lutherrrr~ maybe you should have rechecked what you wrote as you may have just spewed forth nonsense!" lool I'm dreading scrolling up to see if you responded so I wont for now xD
    "had to redraw my center line because I've erased it too much, also redrew the lower left of the arm, re-positioned some shadow shapes that may need further re-position..."
    are you using a mirror whilst you draw? or methods to help refresh the image.
    I'm currently modelling at an atelier and while im there I notice a lot of people drawing from casts using the sight size method and they use mirrors whilst they are drawing.
    in either case your work is coming along great!! glad I subscribed!

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin_ thanks

nouge: Thank you, I hadn't considered doing that with the bargue, good to know. Hope the same holds true today, thanks again

luthertaylor: I've been up and down, as usual, thanks. I hope you're well? I don't think you spoke nonsense, I recall you certainly expressed your opinion though, haha . I have used a mirror once with this, mostly I just come back to it the day after and spot most of the mistakes, a break from it usually does the trick. Wow, you model at an atelier? How on earth do you keep still? thanks for the encouragement.

Did some more today, may need readjusting as some of the widths haven't come out quite right. Will probably move onto defining the fingers tommorow.

Name:  bargue8.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  78.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated the bargue, worked on the fingers mainly, hopefully will move onto tone tommorow,

Name:  b10.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  138.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could probably have your drawing be included with the exercise when you're done with it, doubt anyone will see the difference. It'll be nice to see it with tone, perhaps a relaxing payoff to get to lay it down after working so hard on the lines!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, the Charles Bargue course that was developed for Jerome in the 1860s. It's a good way to learn accurate observation, but it's not the only way.

But once you have that really attuned eye, you'll be able to progress much quicker. Good luck!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nouge: thanks, but putting in the tone means any mistakes become much more apparent, so the hard part isn't over! Plus trying to get a smooth tone is lengthy and not easy to do, haha, so no let up.

p-sage: thanks for stopping by again and for the encouragement. I'm actually doing an online course at the moment, that's where the bargue comes into it. I'll have to do three in total, after that, it's onto cast drawings. I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of plates, so if anyone has ever finished the complete course, kudos

Been a bit off my game, here are some drawings of family members, feet from life and some life drawings done today. I wasn't in the mood to be careful today, so I've made a lot of mistakes- for one thing most of the heads drawn in the life drawings are too small, argg!!! proper rough patch right now.

Also been working on the first tonal lay in on the the bargue, not finished this stage yet. Ican't shake the feeling something is off with the copy, but I can't sem to put my finger on it, very frustrating,

Name:  life.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  67.8 KBName:  addad.jpeg
Size:  49.4 KBName:  DSCF0239.jpg
Size:  59.9 KBName:  life 2.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  49.9 KBName:  sleep.jpg
Size:  144.7 KBName:  life 1.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  66.6 KBName:  bargue.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  90.9 KBName:  feet.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  90.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lines in the life drawing with some tones in it are great! Also fun to see some tone on the bargue.
    "I wasn't in the mood to be careful today" - no wonder, when the bargue is all precision, precision. Anyway, loose and quick has qualities too!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd drop by to see how things are going.
    The stuff your doing in your life drawing classes are fantastic, and its great that you get different time limits too, helps to keep you on your toes i bet.
    This bargue drawing also seems very interesting, never heard of it myself but I am looking forward to seeing the process steps and the end results, good luck with it!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kode For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nouge: Thanks

kode: Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliments. I still have a very long way to go with life drawing, but it's been a really good experience and I feel lucky to have found such a group locally.Thanks again for the encouragement.

I've been a bit of lazy noob this week, a proper tosser. I've kicked myself into touch today, I want to become a professional , so I put four hours into the bargue. I'm still not happy with the tones, I think they are too dark in places, I may have gone too far at this stage, hopefully I can still bring it back. Will probably finish this piece next week.

Name:  hand.jpeg
Views: 135
Size:  237.1 KB

I also had a go at doing some drawings from memory / imagination- I really suck at doing this, this is defiantly one of my major weak spots. I don't know how people can simply draw straight from the mind and create amazing images in their sketchbooks, my imagination isn't what is was when I was younger.

Name:  mem 1.jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  mem.jpeg
Views: 189
Size:  102.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, i cant really coment on the bargue because i dont really know how its supposed to go,
    but on the imagination/sb thing.(im gonna comment based on my experience, because my experience is all i know...) i also struggle a lot with that, specially because i dont think drawing from another source is haf the fun.
    i feel like im getting better at it by simply doing it more(duh?) but it took me a while to convince myself i could get better at imagining thing by simply imagining things.
    and do lots of studies(duuuuuh), but like, copy a horse, then draw a horse from imagination, copy again, imagination again. and then repeat infinitely.
    at one point, the ones from your head are gonna look great!

what i said seems pretty obvious, but it was pretty hard to make it sink inside my brain.
    this is a discussion i started on the topic, a while back
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...our-creativity

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Love how the bargue drawing is going.
    The horses look pretty decent from memory..nice line quality , and you're right i shouldn't neglect traditional media.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey swan! great updates as per usual! I'm actually glad you decided to be a bit lazy and toss accuracy to the side and just draw hehe
    I believe there is a lot of benefit to be had from just drawing right off the cough. mind you I'm not neglecting drawing for accuracy neither, both are important in my eyes.
    I think drawing for accuracy helps me with my work being more convincing when I attempt to draw from imagination but drawing from life freestyle seems to me to breed more creativity.
    it helps me in getting accustomed to something new. like landscapes.

I'm really liking your imaginative stuff! definitely a show of hands for more of this please!! in terms of improving your imaginative drawing this is what I meant about developing yourself to draw from imagination without the use of reference. when you go to do a study I think the mindset of someone that is drawing for accuracy and someone who is drawing to try and get use to the forms of what they are drawing are two different things.
    It's why I am not overly fussed about copying accurately all the time. I'm more keen on remembering key elements that make up what it is I am seeing and over time pushing these elements and grasping more to be more real so people can relate to what they are seeing. When you draw from imagination you also realise what it is that needs work.
    I feel like I'm rambling and not properly explaining my angle so I will stop before I dig myself a contradictory hole.
    But learning to draw to remember things help with bringing forth your imagination as to which when you go to hunt for reference to use, your drawings will be that more better because you are able to lay the foundations of what it is you wish to achieve! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol
    best of luck ma' dear!

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to luthertaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice drawing skills you have there, and your sketches look like they really gotten more refined through the sketchbook thread. Nice confidence in your pencil marks aswell, Im no master when it comes to drawing but knowing the proportions and lighting of a subject is one thing, and for me I feel that a subconcious confident mind frame is just as important whilst drawing because it really does show in the individual marks that you make.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to marcoferrigno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aragah: Thanks for the advice and link to that thread, I appreciate it. I guess everyone isnít all that great to begin with doing imaginative drawings, everything is a matter of the right kind of practice. I guess I just need to spend less time worrying about the results and more time doing. I think it would be really good, like you say, to draw from life first, then attempt the same subject from memory (especially with things like anatomy).

Lumens: Thank you

Luther: Youíre right, itís not good to be rigid all the time, it can take the life and fun out of drawing. It is essential though to realism, you learn how to spot your mistakes and push yourself further when seeking accuracy. Thanks for your advice, and youíre not going off on one, what youíve typed makes sense. I will keep doing memory drawing, as it takes me completely out of my comfort zone , as Iím sure it does to many artists.

Marcoferrigno: Thanks for commenting. Feathering my lines used to be a bad habit, and still is if I let it. Better to put down a confident line, rather than scratch at it. If itís wrong, itís simple enough to erase.

Iíve been working on the bargue over the last few days, trying to fix the details and make adjustments. Itís difficult to do as usual, Iím not satisfied with the right hand side of the palm, Iím not sure if the width is right. Iíve been attempting to use the thread less to check myself, but I still fear I am using it as a crutch. The top right hand side, where the end of the baton is, Iím really struggling with (as itís a curve)- I might work on refining the other side of the drawing tomorrow to give myself a break from it. I do feel as though I am starting to spot some mistakes, this is a useful exercise- Iím a lot more patient than I thought! Havenít refined the top half yet, will try to finish this week.

I also did some imaginative drawings tonight and some drawings from life. I forgot my pencil case when visiting my grandparents, so used an ink pen instead. Pen is very unforgiving, I couldnít faf around- it did me a lot of good I think. I drew a man, landscapes and the wolf and girl from imagination. This is the first time Iíve ever drawn landscapes like this- Iíve never painted a landscape before either- it was surprisingly fun to do.

Also did some contour drawings of hands and studies of my granddad.

Iíve got a portrait group to go to this Thursday, and I will keep at the bargue when Iím not at work

Name:  bargue.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  169.3 KB

Name:  fantasy.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  fantasy 1.jpeg
Views: 166
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  fantasy 2.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  fantasy 3.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  fantasy 5.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  100.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bargue update, I ditched the thread to fill in the remaining details, I may live to regret it, haha. I've sent the image to my teacher, hopefully I'll be able to darken the tone and finish the drawing this week, yay!

Name:  bargue112.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  24.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha all I can imagine is your teacher trolling you and make you carry it on for another week
    nice update as usual swan! Like your landscapes! nothing to be said apart from the usual "carry on"

41. The Following User Says Thank You to luthertaylor For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4