Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Biting the bullet- daily drawings

Thanks

Biting the bullet- daily drawings

MOST RECENT WORK ON LAST PAGE

Hello. After posting my drawings in the critique section of this website I've decided to follow the advice i've been given and start a sketchbook thread here. I am interested in illustration, traditional painting and drawing as well as comics. Everything I post here will be more or less drawn on the day it's posted, longer pieces notwithstanding.

Name:  DSCF0210.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  32.6 KB
    Last edited by Mana16; May 15th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

9th August

I did some more exercises from 'The Natural Way to Draw' here is a half hour contour drawing of a flower(I find it easier to do this exercises in half hour slots so my concentration doesn't lapse, I don't think doing a hour long contour drawing is better than this approach, shorter time- less likely to wander),

Attachment 1536875

I also did twenty six thirty second gesture drawings, here are some of the more coherent ones, in ball point,

Attachment 1536877

I did a little bit of research for my chess characters, but I was flagging at this point, I intend to do more work on this tomorrow,

Attachment 1536878

I spent most of my day drawing from a still life set up, this is attempt number three. I found this to be quite difficult to get right, sometimes I got frustrated because the measurements didn't add up. The problem in the beginning was that I used the cubes as a unit of measure, but then found it difficult to get the angles and the proportions of the skull right. On my third attempt I began with the skull and the table angle, it was much easier to make corrections, block in the skull and then draw the cubes afterwards. I feel that I have learnt a lot from this drawing, in future I want to be lighter with the pencil in the initial stages, start with the bigger shapes in a composition and work my way down and start with a unit of measure and stick to that unit. It's also strange that the further away I stand from something the larger I make it on paper, any thoughts?

Attachment 1536879

Also, I really need to practice drawing straight lines, I found this difficult to do using an easel.

Name:  dada 2.jpeg
Views: 954
Size:  163.0 KBName:  dad 2.jpeg
Views: 682
Size:  146.1 KBName:  thumbs.jpeg
Views: 574
Size:  77.2 KBName:  thumbs 1.jpeg
Views: 571
Size:  105.4 KBName:  contour.jpeg
Views: 605
Size:  66.6 KBName:  researchA 1.jpeg
Views: 581
Size:  141.8 KBName:  researchA.jpeg
Views: 572
Size:  218.7 KB
    Last edited by Mana16; May 15th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
    art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

Thanks

10th August

I feel quite tired now, been working my day job all day, went horse riding and then came back and did a painting. I feel happy though that I managed to do something today.

I drew some wooden cubes, lit from the side by a lamp. I used an easel, canvas paper and charcoal to do the under drawing. Cubes are much more challenging than you'd realize, an excellent lesson in measuring (although I can now see in my images I was way off in places!) So started off with some thumbnails to get a basic idea of where everything would go, choice of view and framing.

I then proceeded to draw out the cubes as accurately as I could. With hindsight and looking at the drawing now, the bottom right hand cube is too small compared to the rest and is not positioned correctly (serves me right for rushing this stage!) The cube directly above that one is also not positioned correctly in relation to the stack of cubes next to it. In future I need to have more patience, observe more and be more careful at this stage. Again, my initial unit of measure was not accurate enough,

Attachment 1537686

blocked in the shadow shapes,

Attachment 1537687

After this, using titanium white and burnt umber (oil paints), with flats and linseed oil, I scrubbed in the mid tone and then tried to paint in the highest lights. Pretty soon my initial drawing was lost, and everything got really muddy because I mixed my lights and darks. After an hour of pushing paint around I used some turps and wiped over the whole painting and restarted. I then tried again to paint in the highest lights, darkest darks and then adjust the mid tone for changes and graduations. I found a big problem was that I sort of lost myself in it, abandoning method for trying to make it look right. My main criticisms are,

1. Mixed lights and darks, painting became quite muddy
    2. lost original scaling and framing, changed composition as I was going
    3. too many brush strokes, loss of power and definition
    4. looking at the painting and not at the scene too much
    5. Inaccurate assessment of tonal values
    6. Fear of making mistakes
    7. Difficult to paint straight lines

Attachment 1541445

And oils are damned messy, I spent around 20 mins cleaning up after!

But it was fun :p
    Last edited by Mana16; August 16th, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: adding more, moar!

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

Thanks

11th August

Nicolaides exercises, Chapter 2 Section D, 1/2 hr cross contour drawing, yeah, I know it's a load of scribbled lines, but the outcome doesn't reflect the reward of the exercise,

Attachment 1538236

1/4hr gesture drawings, 16 in total, scanned some of them (I prefer 30 second ones over 1 minute, the impulse is better),

Attachment 1538238

Some planning for my comic,

Attachment 1538240

Some character drawing practice for the comic, I used photo reference and tried to simplify the features and exaggerate, it was harder than I thought it would be, i'm going to need more practice,

Attachment 1538235

Attachment 1538234

Another area requiring more practice is perspective drawing. I wanted to draw some grids for my chess theme comic, ones that I could use in the final work, but I couldn't quite get the angles I wanted. I also lost sense of what I was doing at times, particularly with the three point. Well, there you have it, one, two and three point perspectives. I spent two hours drawing these, next time i'm going to read a book first, i'm feeling rusty .

Attachment 1538248
    Attachment 1538243
    Attachment 1538244
    Attachment 1538246
    Attachment 1538247

Thanks

12th August

It's unfortunate that I feel quite tired by the time I upload here, I wish I could write more eloquently. Been at work for 8 hours, so I came home and did some drawing.

'The Natural Way to Draw' Chapter 2, Section D, 30 30 second gesture drawings, in pen, (sometimes I wonder if this is the best method or should I take a more Walt Stanchfield approach?). I use QuickPoses.com, a nice variety of photographs and speeds on there,

Attachment 1538792

A 1/2hr contour drawing of my eye, eye brow and nose, very interesting, but I lost my patience around 27 minutes, couldn't resist a look at the clock!

Attachment 1538791

Some more playing around with perspective today, changing the distance of the SVP in one point perspective,

Attachment 1538793

Also experimenting with scaling, I read more of Deborah Rockman's Drawing Essentials, the section on scaling is very interesting and has improved my ideas about perspective a lot, here I tried to draw cubes of the same height at different distances along a corridor of convergence,

Attachment 1538794

I also worked more on my comic idea (instructional comic about chess), some drawings of clothes and a man from reference (main character), some different proportions ala the Andrew Loomis way. Sometimes I feel as though I'm in a great hurry, I am rushing things too much. Tomorrow I am going to focus on gathering a bit more visual research and looking at how other people design characters, to gain a sense of perspective and to do the best job I can,

Attachment 1538800

Attachment 1538795

Attachment 1538797

Attachment 1538798
    Last edited by Mana16; August 12th, 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: stuff was the wrong way round

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Good stuff.

You asked about why you couldn't get the skull to line up...

You can use vertical and horizontal lines to make things line up. You'll see the edge of a feature... and you run that line up and down as an imaginary line and look at where it hits. Maybe it hits one of those blocks at a specific point.

Same thing with horizontals. Run your lines all the way through the sheet and sight with a stick (pencil is OK, a longer thinner stick is better... knitting needle, skewer, etc).

RE: Nicolaides... I have yet to meet a single artist whose entire art education was done through Nicolaides who can draw worth a darn. Maybe they're out there. A little philosophizing on Nicolaides--IMO anything that makes your mind blank while a pencil is moving is not drawing. Drawing is thinking; drawing is design. You need the rational side of your mind when drawing. Art is much like music in that there's a structure to it; you put notes on a staff... each note has a duration... all the notes relate to one another in some way... you create harmony, etc. These can't be done with an arbitrary mindset.

Same with drawing. So... yeah... IMO ditch Nicolaides ... off soapbox...

Keep working... the work is good
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

13th August

Thanks for the advice and encouragement p sage, I've left a longer response in your sketchbook, thanks again.

Had a day off today, so much more time for some drawing. First thing I did was to do a measured drawing of a sink from life, third attempt, two hours in. It was very difficult to get right, especially the angle of the tiles behind the sink. In the end I used a corner of the sink as my first unit and built it up from there, everything is somewhat in line where it should be,

Attachment 1539404

After such a controlled exercise I wanted to loosen up, so here is a quick portrait of my dad,

Attachment 1539405

I managed to settle myself down today and did some more drawings for the chess project, plus some proper research and planning. Whilst doing the character drawings I started to loosen up and have fun, it's been a long time since I felt this way about it. In the past I kept saying to myself 'you can't draw' 'go back to basics first' 'when you're better you can draw what you want'. But it doesn't work like that, to get better at drawing characters, comics, from the imagination etc. you have to draw characters, comics and from the imagination. Life drawing will help you, but don't make it all you do if your heart is set elsewhere.
    I can improve on several things though. One, costume designs (do more of them, experiment with different silhouettes, more focus on theme), Two, figure drawing (gestures, drawing from life, drawing yourself in the mirror, learning anatomy, loomis), Three, Emotions (practice faces, hands, and body language in books, life and photos). I'm sure there are more! I also enjoyed doing the research, it's been a while since I've delved into art history, looking at the fineness and beauty of Holbiens and Van Dycks works was truly inspiring and humbling,

Attachment 1539407

Attachment 1539408

Attachment 1539410

Attachment 1539409

Attachment 1539412

Attachment 1539411

Some more experimenting with scaling, ground levels, SVPs etc. I feel as though I'm understanding perspective more and more, apologies for the quality, had to take photos cause the paper is A3,

Attachment 1539414

Attachment 1539413

Finally a charcoal drawing/ mass drawing of cubes, from life, getting there, found the measuring a bit easier tonight,

Attachment 1539415

Attachment 1539416

Thanks

14th August

Upon further reflection I have decided not to give up Nicolaides, I'm going to continue doing the exercises at my own pace, as well as still leaving time for other forms of study. Nicolaides exercises may not be much use in design terms, but they do make you look at subjects in different ways and in more depth. On that note, I did a 1/2 hr contour drawing today, but since it's just a bunch of lines, it's not worth the bother to scan.

I did some more designs for my chess project, this time, black king ideas,

Attachment 1540112

I decided to be brave today, so I did two colour paintings in acrylic, on canvas paper. On a sheet of A5 I did some thumbnail sketches first to get an idea of where to place the figure/ objects within a frame,

Attachment 1540113

Here are the three colours I used, plus white,

Attachment 1540118

Then I blocked out the major forms/ tonal changes of my self portrait in charcoal, I didn't bother with a needle to measure (which is probably why the framing is off),

Attachment 1540114

Then I proceed to try to block in the tones one section at a time, a bit like cell shading I suppose. I can't remember the name of this method, but it's something I learnt in life drawing classes many years ago. Things got a bit awry around the face, I started to blur edges and use too many colours, things have gotten a bit muddy and the colours are all over the place. However, it was a fun exercise to do, and a good learning experience. I'd forgotten what it is like to use colour and how fun acrylics can be, the painting and drawing took around 2-3 hours in all,

Attachment 1540116

After doing that, this evening I felt like doing another painting. I'm starting to find measuring a little bit easier and it was very helpful to have a mirror around to spot mistakes, Same procedure as far as the charcoal drawing is concerned, the whole painting took around 3-3 1/2 hours,

Attachment 1540119

When I started with the paint, I laid down a middle tone first, then painted in the lightest lights and darkest darks. After that, method sort of flew out the window and I started mixing tones and putting paint down where it felt right to do so. I didn't like how the teapot was looking, it wasn't right and didn't fit into the composition well, so I decided to ditch that aspect. Again, what a learning curve! I have a long way to go in paint,

Attachment 1540121

Thanks
    Hey black-swan, loving the studies in your other thread so I just had to come check out
    your sketchbook! It's great that you're braving the paint, the last one of the skull is looking really nice.

I'm just wondering what the boxes you draw are made of? I'd love some myself
    but I don't really know where to get any.

Keep up the studies!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kode For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kode: thanks for the encouragement, I hope you buy some cubes as they can be really useful in practicing basic perspective principles, drawing straight lines and learning to think in terms of planes.

I am going to do a part time course in September at my local college, basically drawing and painting for a 3 hour session once a week, I thought it would be a good way to see if the college has good facilities (in case I want to study a full time course there) and also to get back into a classroom environment, it's been a few years

Today I finished my basic designs of the kings for my chess comics, after this I need to design their scepters and the black queen who shows up. After that I can pretty much begin on the comic proper. I'm not very good at doing this design work, I think it is lack of experience that is the problem, which is only ever solved by practice. I need to find a way to study the figure, anatomy and gesture, come up with a system or procedure to design characters of variable dimensions and start thinking in more 3 dimensional terms about everything (If you want to design stuff from imagination, being able to rotate something or see it from any angle in your head may come in handy I reckon),

Attachment 1540869

Attachment 1540867

Attachment 1540868

I also got a vision in my head of a person struggling to get to the top of a pile of moving skeletons, who are trying to tear her down. Maybe a flashback to Berserk, who knows, or maybe it's just the way I'm feeling about everything. The skeletons are my crappy diet, uncertain relationships at work, procrastination, doubt, fear, envy, uncertainty, tiredness, dread etc. I like the concept, but there are several issues with the drawing proper (still a WIP by the way),

1. Messy drawing, a bit confused (I'm thinking of using layers of tracing paper to draw the different parts of the drawing and transferring them to a clean sheet at the end- old school)
    2. Not sure about the anatomy of the girl, the skeletons will have to be scaled to this
    3. Make sure to use references for the skeletons and draw them properly (slowly and not rushed, I felt in an awful rush this evening, as I often do about imaginative pieces. I need to slow down more and concentrate on the task at hand)
    4. What is she pushing off of (a mountain of bones, with moving skeletons), draw this part first
    5. Perspective is a bit confused, consider laying in a ground line and eye level
    6. choose a light source, decide on the final medium

Attachment 1540880

I find drawing from life much easier than drawing from imagination well, which is why i very much need the practice. I still feel afraid to make mistakes, which is a problem. It's difficult to live up to your own expectations and ideas.

Here are some notes on composition (going through Rockman's drawing essentials)

Attachment 1540881

A bit of outdoor sketching and notes, another weakness- environments,

Attachment 1540882

Some observational drawings waiting at the doctors surgery,

Attachment 1540884

A little portrait of my brother, third attempt I think (glasses can be a bit of a nightmare),

Attachment 1540885

And a line drawing of my Granddad, at rest,

Attachment 1540887

Lessons learnt- a little bit about formal composition, I need to practice figure drawing more from life, memory and imagination, do more drawings and paintings from imagination, do more observational studies of landscapes (and tones), let me know if i've missed anything out

Thanks
    Amazing amount of work you're putting down, and you're already at a great level. I especially like your shading with pencil, it's very clean, natural and precise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nouge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nouge: Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

Couldn't get as much in as I'd like today, I was working my day job. Started on my comic pages, I'm not keen on the first page, I rushed it a bit and don't like the look of it- I might redo it and pay more attention to the typography.

Attachment 1541455

Attachment 1541456

Some gesture drawings of objects and animals around the house, in ball-point, (I did about 30 in all, this is the pick of them), thanks to Nicolaides I can't seem to escape this scribbly style of gesture drawing,

Attachment 1541459

I felt like doing something in colour and in oils, so I did a value scale mixing white and black first, then took tube colours and tried my best to match them to the right part of the scale, it was quite fun. I've included a grayscale version here, I think I was fairly accurate with the lighter colours, the darker ones, not so,

Attachment 1541464

Attachment 1541465

I also did an exercise out of a oil painting book, the first set of cubes is just white and black mixed, the second set are colours darkened by black and lightened by white and the third set is minimal use of white and black (to explore colour intensity). I seriously need to get better at drawing cubes, and drawing repetitions,

Attachment 1541468
    Last edited by Mana16; August 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    This is turning into daily paintings...

Had a rubbish day at work, I served burnt food to a customer without noticing, charged the wrong amounts on the till, dialed the wrong codes and was possibly rude to a customer by asking for them to pay just before they were leaving. I have very poor social skills unfortunately, even my co-workers have been offended by me and have gone to the boss. I'm tired of all of it, of people in general to tell the truth. Another 2 days of work and a day off! Can't wait!

At least I got in some solid time this evening, oil painting. Started with colour cubes again, this time all the primaries and secondaries made from primaries. with these cubes the aim is to paint a light tone cube, a middle tone cube and a dark tone cube. Basically seeing colours as tones. What is amazing is the amount of variation you can get in hue and temperature by small adjustments, I'll have to experiment with temperatures in the future,

Attachment 1548495

Attachment 1548496

I ended up spending around 5 hours on this painting tonight, a study of colour intensity. Ambient light overhead, full palette of colours, some filberts, flats and rounds, some homemade medium and thinners to clean the brushes. This was hard work, especially the wooden fish and sunflower head (which i'm not 100% happy with, I'm going to do some more studies of these),

Attachment 1548497

Apologies for the picture quality, I had to take them with a flash camera, can't use a flatbed scanner with wet oils!

I really enjoy this sort of thing, a lot more than trying to draw comic books or conceptual ideas. Maybe because those things are that much harder to do... I dunno, it would be really difficult to earn a living as a gallery artist, it would still be difficult to go into a design field- but there are more stable positions and a wider variety of jobs for that....
    Last edited by Mana16; August 29th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast