Question on style - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by devyni View Post
    Is it that obvious that I'm a student? Sorry, this was kind of a sensitive topic to bring up. I'm trying to make sure I avoid the major pitfalls that people can fall into. In retrospect, I probably went about it in a far too generalized way. Art is relative - just interacting with people shows that. What I wanted to know, essentially, wasn't "what makes good art good and bad art bad", but "what about my stylizing is good and bad". I am sorry for any trouble caused because of my vagueness.
    You don't have to apologize, I get where you are coming from but thinking too much is also a pitfall.

I hope you see that your question with "Style: good or bad" is almost the same as asking "Art: good or bad".
    Some people will think its good,
    some will think its bad,
    some will think you need to work more to be able to say you have a style,
    That is the way it is and there is not much you can do about it so you don't need to worry about it at this point.
    Besides if I told you that everyone goes through these conflicts and being confronted with them and resolving them on your own may make you a better artist you wouldn't be so kin to skip out on these by simply adopting someone else's path right?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well, usually when people are trying to ask this, they're trying to look for "Flash and Flare" and haven't drawn enough.
    Fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I know the OP is talking about characters, but what happened to backgrounds? Animation does not involve "floating character in space" so there is just more than "how can I abstract and symbolize this character design".

Actually, in animation the character design, prop design, and BG design are generally handled by different people.

OP, you're still confusing two different things I think. Try not to worry so much about what's good and bad - sometimes you need to fall into those 'pits' in order to see where they are; so continue to learn how to draw, and experiment along the way. If you're not sure about something you've drawn, there is a lovely sub-forum here called critique center & WIP showcase The only major thing you should avoid is limiting your exposure to all kinds of works, and allowing these kinds of concerns to stop you from drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    You don't have to apologize, I get where you are coming from but thinking too much is also a pitfall.

I hope you see that your question with "Style: good or bad" is almost the same as asking "Art: good or bad".
    Some people will think its good,
    some will think its bad,
    some will think you need to work more to be able to say you have a style,
    That is the way it is and there is not much you can do about it so you don't need to worry about it at this point.
    Besides if I told you that everyone goes through these conflicts and being confronted with them and resolving them on your own may make you a better artist you wouldn't be so kin to skip out on these by simply adopting someone else's path right?
    I don't know what you mean by "adopting someone else's path", but I know all about the conflicts you're talking about. I've had them in the past and I've seen other artists criticized for them.

Last edited by devyni; August 9th, 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Oh my god I just realized how whiny and compliment-fishing that sounded.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by devyni View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "adopting someone else's path", but I know all about the conflicts you're talking about. I've had them in the past and I've seen other artists criticized for them.
    There are always going to be people critical of your work; sometimes in a constructive way, sometimes not so much unfortunately. (bad critiques do exist, and good critiques don't necessarily mean being overly positive.) It also helps you grow - just try not to let it stop you from moving forward.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Herring View Post
    Fair enough!

Actually, in animation the character design, prop design, and BG design are generally handled by different people.
    Yes I'm well aware of that, but it's still part of a final outcome. It's all part of the production and whether it's handled by different people or not, all of it still has design considerations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Style means "way", a way of doing something. Art-works are built up by manipulating phenomenal facts(the things that we can sense) in certain ways. You can depend on about 99% of people responding to your art-images in a predictable manner.
    It is generally valid to say that a vertical line has a kind of strength, a horizontal has a kind of restfullness, the positive and negative diagonals have a kind of dynamism. These are the facts that we can depend on. A style of using only verticals and horizontals will look static, that is because restfulness + rigid strength = immovable. A style of using only diagonals will look dynamic since dynamics look dynamic. A style that uses these facts to produce pedictable effects on the minds of viewers is a true style. A false style isn't based in fact but on fiction, bogus theories invented in the deluded minds of their authors. You can't work with what doesn't exist.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,161 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Verily,

A false style in art (any art) is an attempt to fool the viewer that the facts and the truths of the matter at hand have been sufficiently analyzed and cogently synthesized as form for proper presentation. In an argument, a false style shows itself most readily where some canned bit of rhetoric has been baldly substituted in the rightful place of a more studious and cleverly prepared reflection, the latter clearly entailing a far greater difficulty of attainment than the sophistry proffered in the event.

Kevin Winfield Chester Ferrara III
    4th Earl of Aesthetics
    Derbybaconshire, Quince

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can I call you Chester, please?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post

A false style in art (any art) is an attempt to fool the viewer. . .
    Yep!

Art's about actually and successfully fooling the viewer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Verily,

A false style in art (any art) is an attempt to fool the viewer that the facts and the truths of the matter at hand have been sufficiently analyzed and cogently synthesized as form for proper presentation. In an argument, a false style shows itself most readily where some canned bit of rhetoric has been baldly substituted in the rightful place of a more studious and cleverly prepared reflection, the latter clearly entailing a far greater difficulty of attainment than the sophistry proffered in the event.

Kevin Winfield Chester Ferrara III
    4th Earl of Aesthetics
    Derbybaconshire, Quince
    I feel like I need a set of cliff notes for your posts, Kev.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.