Art: Smoking Room

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Smoking Room

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smoking Room

Many birrin, being pleasurably susceptible to many of the psychoactive defence compounds found in their planets’ plants, have developed complex rituals around recreational drug use.

The practices are not universally accepted, and many societies have strict controls to reduce their economic impacts. Others embrace them to such an extent that they have become an essential part of the daily ritual, as is the case with the Southern Chey nations: Before and after work many Chey stop at their local smoking bars to partake in a variety of substances both inhaled and ingested. As community focal points, smoking houses are also places for social interactions, and as a way to prepare for, or wind down from, the days’ pressures.

Smoking houses have a long history, this example predating the widespread collapse of birrin society millennia ago. Restored by wealthy locals as civilisation recovered, the interior was painted a calming blue to lend an air of tranquillity. To avoid the smoke damaging their garments, many regulars wear blue smoking suits infused with years of volatile chemical scents.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Forge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you really thought of everything. I was going to question the reality of the situation (since it really seemed you were thinking things through) when it comes to their identical outfits, but you explained that away.

This is a great image, I love the arabic influence in the design.

Some problems: I see some straight up black strokes which are not cool at all, especially in the background. It doesn't help with pushing the scene back.
    The metal spikes near the pillows don't seem to have any shadows, so they look very pasted on.
    The metal cone right above them is extremely crooked to the right side, and the missing paint in that area is creating an awful tangent. This is my biggest problem I think, and the image could be dramatically improved if this was addressed.

Also, I was looking at further designs of these creatures on your site, and I feel like it would be impossible for them to put on their outfits. Their legs are pointing downwards from their bodies, and I just don't see them bending in any way that would allow them to get dressed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man I hope we Contact these guys, they the least alien aliens ever. They like sitting around having a smoke, you cant go to war with people like that. Unless your GW Bush, but whatever. My point is I think that actually makes them more convincing! They always come accross as people, rather than freaky monsters.

Fantastic, convincing, charming work, as always. Love it.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 944 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i like the story! cool

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the honest crits

I agree that pure black should not be used. I will go back in and lighten them up.

Metal spike shadows are a good spot! I will certainly add those.

The crooked metal cone - its actually mean to be asymettical, and fixed to the wall. That is why the cracked paint is there: it was mean to help ground it. Perhaps a shadow or some rust would help?

As for the outfits, I agree. However if I add a seam down the sides so it opens like a clamshell they should be able to pull it on.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Wow you really thought of everything. I was going to question the reality of the situation (since it really seemed you were thinking things through) when it comes to their identical outfits, but you explained that away.

This is a great image, I love the arabic influence in the design.

Some problems: I see some straight up black strokes which are not cool at all, especially in the background. It doesn't help with pushing the scene back.
    The metal spikes near the pillows don't seem to have any shadows, so they look very pasted on.
    The metal cone right above them is extremely crooked to the right side, and the missing paint in that area is creating an awful tangent. This is my biggest problem I think, and the image could be dramatically improved if this was addressed.

Also, I was looking at further designs of these creatures on your site, and I feel like it would be impossible for them to put on their outfits. Their legs are pointing downwards from their bodies, and I just don't see them bending in any way that would allow them to get dressed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, I mis-read the pipes. I thought they were right above the aliens and much in front of the wall! I didn't realize they were fixed to it. Which I think is a really bad sign, so you should somehow get them to read better in terms of being attached to the walls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Corrections

I have attempted to address some of the issues, particularly grounding the lamp bases to the wall. See what you think

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Oh wow, I mis-read the pipes. I thought they were right above the aliens and much in front of the wall! I didn't realize they were fixed to it. Which I think is a really bad sign, so you should somehow get them to read better in terms of being attached to the walls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i thought maybe darken it down a bit, see what you think.
    such a cool image tho, love all your stuff!
    Id love to see what you make of a Piersons Puppeteer!!

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 9th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thats a great effect I will certainly take the increased contrast under advisement. Did you use linear burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    i thought maybe darken it down a bit, see what you think.
    such a cool image tho, love all your stuff!
    Id love to see what you make of a Piersons Puppeteer!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to tell someone so much better at painting his job so please take all this with a truckload of salt!
    I used a very big soft mid tone burn, and a very low opacity shadow burn. Each as big as theyd go. If you go to the top of the layer stack, select all, push shift-ctrl-c, and ctrl-v you get a new layer thats a crushed version of everything below it. then you can try different schemes, flicking the layer visibility on and off to compare to the image below. I find its a useful way to give things a bit of pop at the end..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.