Mountain Temple

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mountain Temple

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mountain Temple

Hey everyone, thought I'd put something up for crit here. It's the last of my series of L5R remakes. Gonna submit to Alderac after this and cross my fingers. Just for context, I am planning to push out the mountains nt he background some more with some clouds ( I forget what that's called, I keep thinking "misty perspective". It's late where I am.). Otherwise it's open season on this one.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The temple looks tilted, like it's sliding down the mountain towards us. You screwed up the horizon and vanishing points. Fix them. The problem is that we're looking at the mountains and tree straight-on, and at the temple from above.

Minor quibble: the tree in the foreground looks fake because the lower branches are conveniently cropped to show the footprints. I'd take them out, only leave a few upper branches, and put the short ones on the left to balance out the painting a bit.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ryansumo! love your colors, ive been trying to learn coloring right now and really appreciate the difficulty with picking colors at times

A couple of points if you dont mind me adding my 5 cents worth. Vineris has a point, your perspective is kind of off. I suggest putting up a perspective grid over your painting so you can see where you need to adjust your perspective with the temple. you may want to consider moving the perspective grid a bit to the left of the picture to coincide with the viewpoint of your character.

Also, dont forget that the vanishing point is always on the horizon line (where the land meets the sky) so you may want to push down your vanishing point a bit so the temple doesnt look like it is 'sliding down the mountain'

Lastly, If you still wish to keep the tree on the right, keep in mind that the closer something is to the viewer, the more detail and the greater the contrast in value it will be. Although, i agree with vineris about removing them, they tend to keep the viewpoint from the temple... if you do wish to add them you may want to blur them a bit, or as vineris mentioned, only add a few branches at the upper right to help even out the painting.

Erm... sorry for the long post. I am no master by any viewpoint and just sharing things i have read and learned from my studies. hope this helps! My apologies for not adding a paint over for the perspective grid. I can try to put one up for you if you dont get what i mean (and i know that perspective can be extremely difficult to explain and describe without drawings)

Good luck! keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit guys. I am well aware that perspective is one of my weaknesses, among many. I did use a rudimentary perspective grid for the temple and the monk, but was at a bit of a loss as to how to apply it to the mountain.

The simplest solution would probably be to adjust the perspective of the temple so it's more straight on, but I was actually trying to make the viewpoint such that we're looking down on it from the ridge where the monk is standing. If either of you ( or anyone else that drops in) could help out with the perspective I'd really appreciate it. I'll try to sort it out myself too of course.

Floopate: I did an exercise recently that I think might help with your colors. I admit I'm also weak at colors myself, and I think these thumbnail color studies helped.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure thing, i'll try to give you a suggestion on the perspective. I hope you wont mind me doing a paintover with the perspective grid.

on a side, and totally unrelated note, you're from manila! so am i! hahahaha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hey man,

Here you go. I kept the vanishing point right behind the temple as you said you wanted. hope this helps!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the perspective help Floopate! Unfortunately I think I'm going another direction with this, as you will see below. Off topic, glad to meet another Filipino on the boards. Hope the flooding didn't affect you much.

So I really did wan the image to have a more bird's eye view perspective. I looked up some reference and fixed the perspective so that it's now a little more believable. The temple will have to be totally scrapped and redone, but I think it'll be easier now that the horizon is more solid.

My issue now is whether or not to keep the tree branches in the foreground. On the one hand I like the additional perspective that they offer. On the other hand They do seem to clutter up the image a bit. Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Trees
    Mountain Temple

No Trees
    Mountain Temple

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much Better! you raised the horizon line with the additional moutains! thats something i didnt think of. thanks for teaching me a new trick hehehe!

I like the trees, they're cute. You can add a little more detail into them though... I do like the wide expansive look of the second no tree pic too. I guess it all depends on how you want it to look like.

do you want your character to seem like he/she walked out of a dark forest and is standing on a clear outcropping? or do you want her/him to look like they've been walking in a barren open snow plain and just crested that hill and saw the majestic temple?

If you do wanna keep the one without trees, you can slightly darken the corners and/or blur them to help push the eye towards the character and the temple. (something i learned from feng zhu's youtube vids)

Oh, also, you may want to consider turning the character a bit clockwise... so that more if his/her back is facing us, that might add some drama to the scene. you can also adjust the character so it seems like we are floating a little above the whole thing. it might add more drama to the scene.

We didnt flood here. Thank God! hope you and your loved ones are all safe and dry too

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 1