Mood through colour and colour in general
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mood through colour and colour in general

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leeds (england)
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Mood through colour and colour in general

    I have always struggled with colour, I am slowly getting better but I still shy away from it. I think what I hate is I can never capture the mood I want, I never know how a colour is supposed to change with regards to a situation.

    I have been training my eye regularly and I feel I am getting somewhere, but is there a something I miss? When I use grey-scale I get the detail I want but no colour, when I apply colour I am now getting the colour but no detail. Is there a specific technique that I haven't heard of that would allow me to combine the two.

    Any help on the matter would be much obliged, thank-you

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I would suggest to start by keeping it simple. Doing a value study does
    not have to be in literal gray-scale. I choose the tone I want and paint
    within that as a base.

    Look at the scenario you are depicting and decide if it needs warm or cold
    tones. Draw out the scene first in pencil or a simple brush, adding in all the
    detail you want, then paint over that (or under depending on your layer
    preferences) Block in the big shapes, define your lighting and start adding
    details. Don't rush it, keep your colours simple. Try using a close palette
    of just four colours, paint those as blobs on a separate layer and resist
    any urge to select anything outside of those four. Use the range of those
    colours to create interesting contrasts.

    That's one method I like anyway.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    dpaint's Avatar
    dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinguard View Post
    I have always struggled with colour, I am slowly getting better but I still shy away from it. I think what I hate is I can never capture the mood I want, I never know how a colour is supposed to change with regards to a situation.

    I have been training my eye regularly and I feel I am getting somewhere, but is there a something I miss? When I use grey-scale I get the detail I want but no colour, when I apply colour I am now getting the colour but no detail. Is there a specific technique that I haven't heard of that would allow me to combine the two.

    Any help on the matter would be much obliged, thank-you
    Detail has nothing to do with grayscale or color, Details are a matter of drawing ability or lack thereof in most cases, since a great painting doesn't need details for its success. Work from life and work traditionally if you want to learn about color and value.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leeds (england)
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, I will look into doing some limited pallet drawings, as well as trying to take colours from life drawing. Also when I mentioned the lack of detail I mean I am better at getting the range, and tones to indicate detail through shadow ect. I can't seem to do that when using colours

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #5
    dpaint's Avatar
    dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinguard View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, I will look into doing some limited pallet drawings, as well as trying to take colours from life drawing. Also when I mentioned the lack of detail I mean I am better at getting the range, and tones to indicate detail through shadow ect. I can't seem to do that when using colours
    You have to train your eye, there is no separation of color and value in life. Value is a component of color its a bad idea to keep it separate theoretically.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    810
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinguard View Post
    When I use grey-scale I get the detail I want but no colour, when I apply colour I am now getting the colour but no detail. Is there a specific technique that I haven't heard of that would allow me to combine the two.
    Forgive me if I'm asking the obvious, but are you still paying just as much attention to the values of your colours when you are painting in full colour as when you are painting in greyscale?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leeds (england)
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    Forgive me if I'm asking the obvious, but are you still paying just as much attention to the values of your colours when you are painting in full colour as when you are painting in greyscale?
    I am not sure I funny understand the question, so I will reply with the following, when I draw in grey-scale I find it easier using one set of colours too illustrate tone, light, values and so on. when it comes to colour it tends to be me, trying to use one colour for one item, for example I am doing alot better but on a human face my mind would be, it is peachy, therefore peach colours were the only values I could use, I now understand that there are peaches, browns oranges, purples yellows and so on. I just find I miss alot trying to account for the various colours.

    I hope that makes sence

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    965
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 478 Times in 314 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    As a fellow beginner I would like to suggest that you work with acrylics or something traditional rather than digitally- having trazillion colours in the palette is more distracting than anything.. but when you start with 6 colours and you have to actually, physically mix them, you learn so much more.

    True for me at least- good luck.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,110
    Thanks
    801
    Thanked 909 Times in 455 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    youre confusing the terms here.

    value - light/dark property of any color

    hue - red/green/blue/peach/whatever (where its located on the colorwheel)

    chroma - intensity/saturation

    visit david briggs' site! > huevaluechroma.com

    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leeds (england)
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    youre confusing the terms here.

    value - light/dark property of any color

    hue - red/green/blue/peach/whatever (where its located on the colorwheel)

    chroma - intensity/saturation

    visit david briggs' site! > huevaluechroma.com
    Thankyou so much! I have been reading colour and light by James Gurney, and he explains them, but I have been struggling to distinguish. I have been doing this for maybe five weeks (thats practising every day and actually doing tutorials reading ect) so excuse my lack of understanding.

    @briggsy@ashtons - I now understand what you are saying, I think so yes. But the problem is I only like using one colour. so I would use all different shades of yellow, not understanding that other colours would come into use.

    @LordLouis - I have always been a sketch artist. I get very uncomfortable with paints. I am a video games design student so when I have some excess money I will put your theory into practice, thanks for the advice.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •