Writer looking for artist to collaborate on novel with

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down Writer looking for artist to collaborate on novel with

Hi everybody...

I'm currently working on a sci fi novel and am desperate need to find an artist that is willing to work with me creating this alien world. I can give pictures and descriptions of characters and scenes. I really need someone that can help me get this world out of my head and into reality. I'll be honest I can't pay you just because I don't have the ability at this point in time. Please let me know if your interested.

Thanks for considering my story

Last edited by dreamingoutloud; August 8th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its bad form to ask artists to work for free so stop doing it. If you can't pay someone then you aren't ready to work with them. The idea that it will hep them is a myth.
    How would you like to work for free for an artist on their ideas because they can't write well? Nobody wants to give up their own projects to work for someone else developing ideas without being compensated.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Its bad form to ask artists to work for free so stop doing it. If you can't pay someone then you aren't ready to work with them. The idea that it will hep them is a myth.
    How would you like to work for free for an artist on their ideas because they can't write well? Nobody wants to give up their own projects to work for someone else developing ideas without being compensated.
    Going off of that, if you can't afford an artist right now, it's possible to save up for one. You can do that in the same way you would save up for any ordinary purchase, or, since you're working on a specific project, you could try and solicit investors. Maybe get the first chapter or so of your project together, show it to other people, explain your needs, and then ask them if they'd be willing to help. This isn't directly related to art, but a family where I live sold candy to be able to afford a vacation for themselves. Maybe you could do something like that too?

There are also sites like indiegogo.com and kickstarter.com that will let you solicit funds for your project. I've never used them before but maybe they can help you?

It's possible that you might find someone to work for you for free, but your project will probably come out better if you can pay. Artists will have more incentive to get and stay on board with you, and you'll have more of a selection of people to choose from.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to snacks ex machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    https://www.odesk.com/

May as well post there because you sound just as promising

https://www.odesk.com/o/jobs/job/Fas...c155c04255640/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingoutloud View Post
    Hi everybody...

I'm currently working on a sci fi novel and am desperate need to find an artist that is willing to work with me creating this alien world. I can give pictures and descriptions of characters and scenes. I really need someone that can help me get this world out of my head and into reality. I'll be honest I can't pay you just because I don't have the ability at this point in time. But, if your looking to extend your portfolio and are up for a creative challenge then please let me know.

Thanks for considering my story
    There is nothing wrong with asking if anyone wants to collaborate on a story. Your approach needs work though. Telling an artist that your giving them a chance to "extend" their portfolios is going to be sneered at. The problem is we get these offers all of the time. Most artists don't have any trouble coming up with things to work on. The problem is finding paid work.

Nobody wants to work on something only to find out that it was for nothing. What you have to do, is show that you are different from the hundreds of other writers that want help. Show that you have staying power and can produce something that people will want to be part of... then see if you can find help. If you're not offering pay, find someway to make it worthwhile. Established writers have people coming out of the woodwork to do fanart. They don't start off with the art -- they discribe it.

If you're still only at the looking for inspiration stage you're wasting your time trying to get people to do non-paid work for you.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    There is nothing wrong with asking if anyone wants to collaborate on a story. Your approach needs work though. Telling an artist that your giving them a chance to "extend" their portfolios is going to be sneered at. The problem is we get these offers all of the time. Most artists don't have any trouble coming up with things to work on. The problem is finding paid work.

Nobody wants to work on something only to find out that it was for nothing.
    I just wanted to also note that because these offers come up so much consider it a loss. I'm not talking about "time spent elsewhere on paid stuff" but something else.

A loss of $35+ at least.

Why? Because while I'm sure most "aren't evil people out to steal/exploit my work" doing work like this can always end up backfiring so at the very least a little added protection for a registered copyright can help.

But see even if someone may be that evil person and you need to enforce your registered copyright, intellectual property defense is costly. So that "little free favor" now can cost even more.

So even done for free it still is a costly loss.

It's kinda like a sexual partner, you may want to use protection even if they feel like the nicest person in the world....and nothing may happen. However, you'll sure regret it if something happened when you could have used protection.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 8th, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say your best bet is to meet an artist friend locally and truly collaborate on something together. Something you are both invested in. There are plenty of friends in the world that come up with an idea together and want to see it to the end with much sacrifice. It's how many great ideas are born.
    When you seek out random people, however, there is basically no way the artist will feel as invested in the project as you, the creator. So that is more of a contract work over a collaboration.

Contracts require money.

Not saying you will NEVER find a collaborative artist by asking randomly on the web. Maybe, just maybe there is someone out there bored out of their mind...but the likelihood of it is very slim. Especially around these parts.
    Also, take the advice of this thread....never use the "it'll be good for your portfolio" comment again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lets reverse it: I have a painting and I want a writer to create a novel based on my painting which I will then put on the cover of the book. I retain the rights to the novel but I will allow the writer to use the book in their portfolio. It will be good practice for writers trying to break into the industry to be able to show a finished product.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets reverse it: I have a painting and I want a writer to create a novel based on my painting which I will then put on the cover of the book. I retain the rights to the novel but I will allow the writer to use the book in their portfolio. It will be good practice for writers trying to break into the industry to be able to show a finished product.
    This is awesome. This is going on my FB wall.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah....I have to agree with that. Pretty much /thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recently I was approached by an author who just published her first novel. It is selling quite well, and has over 80+ positive reviews on Amazon (Germany). Now she wants to turn it into a graphic novel, and has already contacted a comic book publisher who likes the story. They don't have available artists though, so they asked her to find someone. Now she asked me if I'd like to propose a comic/graphic novel based on her book to said publisher.

I said yes, because a) I've read her book and like it a lot, and b) she's already considered the publisher and is serious about it. The only thing left now is for me to make a proposal with a few sketches (unpaid) to show the publisher that I can do graphic novels too - and if they're convinced I will get to work on a graphic novel. For money.

That's one way it can work. Why don't you contact a comic publisher who may be interested in your story and can team you up with an artist?

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus fucking Christ you sound like a bad tempered dick sometimes. I get it, youre tired of people expecting artists to work for free, but somehow I dont think Dreamingoutloud is the same kind of person who starts "Logo Competition" threads, she just wants to find someone to share an interest with.
    You going spastic at a 26 year old starving writer and turning this into yet another sour why-artists-always-have-to-work-for-money-no-exceptions thread isnt helping at all. Art can be fun you know, its not all about stinking money.

I think it sounds like a fun free time project to collaborate with a young author. I imagine there are young illustrators who would enjoy this kind of hobby project.
    Who knows, it might turn into a really productive relationship.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 8th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to apologize to anyone I have offended that was never my intention. I hope you forgive and excuse my nativity of thinking that there maybe one person out there that would be interested and willing to help me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I linked you to the projects section of Deviantart, you could also try
    Elfwood (if they still exist.) You will probably get a better response there.

It's nothing personal. You live, you learn.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Closing topic so there won't be more dog piling. I think enough has been said and OP apologized

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.