Art: first sculpts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: first sculpts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first sculpts

Hey Guys and Gals!
    justasculpt here with some images of my first sculpts (posting help from moderator poopinmymouth, thanks a million!), the first being an 11.5" Aeon Flux maquette completed in part of a sculpting apprenticeship with an LA-based prototyping studio. She was rough blocked in modelling chevant and finished in wax. The second two are variations on good ol' spongebob squarepants. One happy and one tired. The happy Bob was from a laser-scanned rough wax output. I had to polish it, sculpt from scratch the limbs, and crisp all edges. The tired sponge is a completely resculpted expression done on the same piece(happy pants). I just started sculpting about 9 months ago (the past four months learning wax) and so far am completely in love with the craft. But would love to get some input: questions, comments, critiscisms, or any assistance to see if I'm doin this right. Thanks guys and gals.

Peace,
    justasculpt

Last edited by justasculpt; June 8th, 2004 at 08:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super cooooool ! I'm suprised anyone remembers Aeon Flux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THanks Egerie!
    yeah man! Aeon FLux was one of the most badass shows ever! Paramount is in the process of making a live action Aeon movie, let's hope they don't f*ck it up. It has real potential. I recently e-mailed pics of the Aeon sculpt to Peter CHung (Aeon's creator) he got right back to me and was diggin' it. Definitely encouraging!
    THanks for your reply!
    peace out!
    Justasculpt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oi! That Aeon Flux is badaaaaaaaasssssssss. That was one of your "first"? Killer. Dig the Spongebobs too. Nice expression on that second one.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YEh fukifino! I had done some stop-motion in school, but the caliber of sculpt was minimal at best! I didn't want to focus on the sculpting at the time only storytelling and animation. but after going to the Sna Diego comic con last year and seeing some of the sculpts, I was sold! I ended up throwin my hands up with animation and converting to high-definition sculpting/prototyping. the Aeon was an apprenticeship piece (my first stab at serious sculpting) with a prototyping studio. I got walked through the production process. I did all the work but got tips and lessons on how to make my own tools(among other things) through the studio. Thanks!

OUt!
    justasculpt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH! You posted here! WOW Awesome work! :shocked:
    Love Aeon Flux, gawd, there's a blast from the past! We used to watch that when I was in college years ago, you did an amazing job with her... Sounds like you're in the right place to get the real hands on, and getting a nice variety of experience too... Thanks so much for sharing your stuff... POST MORE!!

~Jill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Jill!

it is good to get positive feedback from such a talented artist as yourself. I love your creatures! I am currently in the process of moving, so my life is sort of helter skelter at the moment. but I am currently working on a Sally from the Nightmare before Christmas maquette that stands about 3.5" tall, I wanted to see what I could do on a small scale(jewelers scale, I want to have it poured in stainless steel when it's done), plus I have a mech warrior in the works, and I am about to start some maquette's for a possible upcoming show on a cartoon-based station, but I am not at liberty to discuss. but when they are completed and I have settled into my new place I will be sure to share, Thank you so much once again. be sure to update us with more of your work!

peace,
    justasculpt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Justin! Joe here. You know I'm impressed! Anyway, just thought I'd publicly praise those sculpts. Shweeet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work man! I especially like those Spongebobs. I was planning to sculpt him and Patrick in the near future, and seeing these is quite inspirational. Keep at it.:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THanks guys!

Joe, I appreciate the public praise, Let me know where your work is on here so I can check it out, and return the favor. I'm sure your work is hot! Plus, I'll be sendind you some layout art samples here soon, I got a bunch of freelance work coming in from "GG" so I am kinda swamped.

Scotty, thank you as well, for the feedback. Spongebob, as simle in design as he is, is a tougher character than I thought to sculpt. there are tricks on making sure he is on model, ie: the sponge holes, and how far away they are from each other, in what direction their oblong shape is facing, and their size ratio. LEt me know when you get something sculpted, I would love to see it!

Peace, justasculpt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.