Need some advice as a aspiring artist

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Need some advice as a aspiring artist

I am new here. I hope this is the right section for such a question. If not, I apologize.

I want to be able to express myself through visual mediums. Illusation and painting, I want to do this as a career. Right now I'm going through Dodsons Keys To Drawing. Though progress is slow. I look at the art of professionals and I feel like I could never amount to such greatness, especially considering the chicken scratch I am producing. Visual Art (oil painting, drawing, animation) like math is one of those subjects that overwhelms me when I see how good others are at it. I am easily discouraged. Is this normal? Am I just being silly?

Here is some stuff I've drawn

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just realized how big those images came out. Sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Work hard, study hard, play hard, like this guy: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=140145

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Break it down into small bits, and practice those small bits. Any overwhelming task could be managed if you chip at it bit by bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only three advices that matter are:

Listen to those who know better (i.e. all the dozens of professional artists that hang out here), we bother commenting because we care.

Suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If your Mom says it's cool, it isn't.

Keep at it dude. Open up a sketchbook here, and update it regularily. Get busy.

Talent's just the lazy man's excuse for not succeeding, hard work is key.

(I can't seem to find the thread where people have posted stuff from when they first arrived at Conceptart, to where they are now, could anybody help me?)

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meridius View Post
    Though progress is slow. I look at the art of professionals and I feel like I could never amount to such greatness, especially considering the chicken scratch I am producing.
    They've been doing it for 10+ years. It's a profession, same as any other. You wouldn't expect to start working through an engineering book and start building a bridge next week. You wouldn't expect to read a dentistry book and start pulling teeth. So why expect your pictures to look like those of someone who has been doing it for a couple of decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Meridius View Post
    Visual Art (oil painting, drawing, animation) like math is one of those subjects that overwhelms me when I see how good others are at it. I am easily discouraged. Is this normal? Am I just being silly?
    Yes it's normal and yes, you're being silly. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

For now, get out of that competitive mindset because you're just setting yourself up to fail. The existence of other artists does not affect your art. If they all died tomorrow, your art would still be exactly the same. People might pat you on the back more if you were the only artist but your work would be no better. Therefore just because the pros are around, your work isn't actually any worse. It just is. Work on it and stop worrying about everybody else.

I mean, I've never sat down to a math puzzle, thought "a math genius could solve this faster" and gave up. The point of doing the puzzle is to spend time doing something you like. You CAN compete at it if that floats your boat but if it doesn't then you don't have to. The puzzle is fun anyway.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all. I appreciate every message. This is the kind of stuff I needed to hear. Thanks for the bits of perspective and advice. I need to work on disciplining myself and actually doing the work and get out of this competitive mind-set, which tends to quickly drag me down. I will also check out the Sketch book feature. Thank you.

*Bookmarked*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its totally normal to be a bit discouraged by seeing people who are so talented, but you need to get in the mindset that someday you be just as great as the masters.
    Also, for me, it really helps to remember that I draw for my own enjoyment and satisfaction. When I'm feeling like i'm a complete crap artist because someone 6 years younger than me is 'better', i just have to take a step back and focus on my own work and what I can do to improve and get to their level.

keep practicing different things and trying out techniques - take some classes on the basics so you can develop a solid ground work, and then you can start on the fancier aspects of things like painting - you need to know how to draw and use value before you can paint.

take small steps and never stop trying new things. with practice, there is no such thing as a short cut or a waste of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossi View Post
    (I can't seem to find the thread where people have posted stuff from when they first arrived at Conceptart, to where they are now, could anybody help me?)
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133831

That the one?

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

13. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Element: F**k yeah, that's the one. Thanks dude.

@Meridius: take a look at the thread Element posted, if you feel too disheartened to stick around here. It goes to show that hard work and dedication is the key.

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just checked it out. I was blown away by some of the sets. Its amazing how people have improved and refined their work. Put things into perspective for me. I'm going to practice everyday.

I started a sketch book here also: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...80#post3521780

Thanks all.

Last edited by Meridius; August 9th, 2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take an hour each day to doodle... on anything, with anything...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, you might want to check out this newbie thread. We're a bunch of rank amateurs working through tutorials and assignments so we can improve our art. Or "art", as the case may be. I'm one of them. Join us if you like.

My sketchbook: Rank Amateur Attempts *cough* Art
    Critique at will. And have a great day!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LMAshton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've found that it's encouraging to keep a log of how much I've been drawing. I have a giant spreadsheet with descriptions of all of my drawings (even the rubbish ones) itemized by time taken, date, media and sketchbook. This way I can compare one drawing with another of a similar subject that I've done with n hours more of experience. Looking at drawings from the same month might not be that impressive (unless you're an extremely focused art machine), but after a while, you can see that you really are improving. Also, you can compare how much time you've spent drawing to that magical 10,000 hours after which one is supposedly a master. Although it will really depend on how far you stretch yourself with each piece, until you've started to approach 10,000 hours, you can always tell yourself that as long as you stick to the right path, you'll eventually be able to create art like you want/at the quality of your idols.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    FWIW, I think "General Pig Vomit" has a certain low-brow weirdness to it that I find appealing.

I've certainly seen WAY worse art roll through here by people who have serious cockiness.
    So just keep it up, stay humble, do your thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Best advice i can give is to just buckle down and start figuring out what kind of stuff really inspires you and draw the shit out of that stuff.

Read books on art, peek around here at what some of the pros are doing in terms of quality, content, etc. But really just find someone or some people who really inspire you and just make that your longterm goal. Longterm goals can take you far, and really if you have a concrete goal in terms of your art, your mind will fill in all the blanks of what you need to get there.

The real key is that there isn't some secret or trick to make a person a better artist. There's a bunch of little tricks but the real key, in my experiences, is inspiration (goals) driving learning, and the filler is just putting in the hours. Stay inspired, let the inspiration drive what you learn, and work hard. It doesn't matter where you are now, do that, and you'll surprise the shit out of yourself.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Pencil art is good starting point...

i think. Here's a good reference instructional material:
    http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Paint...qid=1345401525

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.