speed painting as an olympic sport
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: speed painting as an olympic sport

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

speed painting as an olympic sport

I had got this crazy idea while watching the olympics today. This isn't a real proposal but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

basically you get 5 artists at a time, (each from separate countries) and put them in an arena with their painting supplies, A large image will be shown on a screen and the painters will have 15 minutes to re-create the image with traditional paint. The image is random and not seen before hand by anyone. Everyone is issued the same painting supplies.

The winner would be judged independantly, (The judges wont see other judges scores) by 10 separate judges and given a score out of 15. The highest and lowest scores for a particular painting will be thrown out.

The top two paintings advance to the next round until you get to the finals at which time medals are awarded to the top 3.

FAQ time
    Why an image instead of life drawing?
    An image will grant each artist the exact same view of the subject, this will also help the judges award scores because they can easily compare the two and award points for details or deduct for mistakes.

Art is subjective, how can you say one painting is better then another?
    This wouldn't be a contest of artsy-ness, This is more of a test of hand-eye coordination, and painting technique. The judges would be looking for how well the painting matches the reference image.

painting isn't an athletic event, why have it in the olympics?
    You could argue that painting would be in the same league as archery and shooting events. Technique trumps raw strength and athletic ability. This arguement seems like the biggest hurdle to get over if you wanted this in the olympics.

Again this isn't a real proposition but I wanted to share the idea with people.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Larriva Art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scrt_AgentMan View Post
    I had got this crazy idea while watching the olympics today. This isn't a real proposal but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

basically you get 5 artists at a time, (each from separate countries) and put them in an arena with their painting supplies, A large image will be shown on a screen and the painters will have 15 minutes to re-create the image with traditional paint. The image is random and not seen before hand by anyone. Everyone is issued the same painting supplies.

The winner would be judged independantly, (The judges wont see other judges scores) by 10 separate judges and given a score out of 15. The highest and lowest scores for a particular painting will be thrown out.

The top two paintings advance to the next round until you get to the finals at which time medals are awarded to the top 3.

FAQ time
    Why an image instead of life drawing?
    An image will grant each artist the exact same view of the subject, this will also help the judges award scores because they can easily compare the two and award points for details or deduct for mistakes.

Art is subjective, how can you say one painting is better then another?
    This wouldn't be a contest of artsy-ness, This is more of a test of hand-eye coordination, and painting technique. The judges would be looking for how well the painting matches the reference image.

painting isn't an athletic event, why have it in the olympics?
    You could argue that painting would be in the same league as archery and shooting events. Technique trumps raw strength and athletic ability. This arguement seems like the biggest hurdle to get over if you wanted this in the olympics.

Again this isn't a real proposition but I wanted to share the idea with people.
    I'd watch it.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If it's not sped up, watching someone speed-paint would be like watch real paint dry. The creative thought process, correction for error, new ideas push themselves forward as they paint equal to zzzzzz.....

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Larriva Art View Post
    Ah man, I thought for once I was on the verge of revolutionizing sports as we know it.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scrt_AgentMan View Post
    Then it would be a speed-copying contest, not a speed-painting contest.

In other words, yes, it wouldn't be a contest that has anything to do with art.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    They should bring art back into the olympics. But art is pretty subjective from some perspectives, so it could be some lame ass Found Object "weirdo off" if they brought it back. I'd guarantee a macaroni sculpture of Phelps swimming in jello. The Olympics can be blatantly crooked in fairly straight forward sports. The boxing competition in Beijing was like watching a blatant crime in progress. I can't begin to imagine the atrocities that would be had in the name of art.

If they held it to objective standards, I bet France and Japan would dominate. But the USA would hold it's own.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.