Sketchbook: Imperator's Sketchbook, 2012!!!!!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Imperator's Sketchbook, 2012!!!!!

Ok so i have been looking around at this fourm for the past week so i have a
    better idea of how content is posted here. I also wasn't happy with the image quality or the title of my first thread.
    I love my ipod but its not great for taking photo's, scanners are better. So im going to start another sketchbook thread, if the mods don't mind of course

Just a bit about me:

-Been drawing since i was about three years of age.
    -As a kid i was obsessed with three things, cities, titanic and space. Drew alot of content from them.
    -i got plenty of art lessons and i also did a art course for a week in 2010 before getting my leaving cert.
    -I did get the points for fine arts, however i decided to study arts in english and history instead. I would like to
    go for fine arts again after my course sometime in the near future.

-I havent been drawing as much as i was back in 2006-2009 over the past year and a half. In fact i was very bored and unispired
    with the work that i was doing after the art course. However the awsome amount of talent on this fourm has inspired me to go back again!
    -My goals therefore are:
    Relearn my mechanics and get rid of the 'rustiness'
    Get back to the same level of skill i had in 2006 when i was 16
    Open my mind to more possibilities and more imaginative subjects/doodles aswell as visual arts.
    Move away from drawing books and try to work from real life and imagination.

So here is what i mean by that! These first two drawings are from last year, one of the few drawings i did then.
    first one is megan fox, the second one is a vase (duh) The Last drawing is a a sketch up of a random girl,done at the beginning of this year. It is the beginning of my new sketchbook!!!!

Thanks, and some comments and advice would be welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by i_Imperator; August 6th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok some more sketch's from this week!

-Potrait Studies taken from one of Barrington Barber books, I figure that the human body is the best thing to draw first after a long break, despite its complexity. After all if you can draw people you can draw anything & everything!
    -Eye Studies
    -Quick Watercolor Sketch of a lake

I'm pretty rusty coming back to drawing so some advice and or feedback would be great! And i think my eye drawings are good but the eyeball's are different proportions to each other, which i'm not too happy about, oh well...

Last edited by i_Imperator; August 6th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    Awesome that you've made an sketchbook!

The best tips I can give you is this:
    have fun!
    Start with the fundamentals! That is - draw from life, and try to get an exact copy of what you're drawing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dahlium Thanks for the encouragement and being the first to comment on this sketchbook! My cousin was actually visiting on the day i uploaded this thread. She is finished her fine arts degree and one of the things she said was the same; work from real life.

Which is what i have begun to do. I started on a quick self portrait last night, not finished but took about 30mins to sketch. I think it has turned out ok, except that the gap between the nose and mouth needs to be much closer. I'll do a few more attempts and post my progress. I'm not too happy about the shading of my shirt, was a bit too rough with the 2b pencil (outlined it with a 2h pencil). This was a quick sketch up though i'm not too surprised about the poor quality.

More stuff coming up in the next few days!

Last edited by i_Imperator; August 8th, 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More doodles and sketches i did last week. A lot of fan art, and a good few of them are kinda first attempts. Especially the portrait of bane, clearly unfinished the side of his neck is rubbed out because i wasn't happy with my shading. I will retry this again i think.

Also the batman vs bane drawing is a first attempt, im quite happy with it except that batman's head should be eye to eye with bane, the distance kinda makes him look like a whimp lol. The Batman sketches were pretty quick except for the portrait of bane.

The model/still life pheasant has a funny story behind it. My cousin noticed it straight away when she saw it in my sketchbook on Monday. She said that for her course she tried to sketch it but her teachers said it would be better if she got a real pheasant; i'e a dead one! So conviently one of her friends who was involved with archery and hunting caught a pheasant one day and she used it for her work!

The hobbit study was interesting, i decided to practice drawing his eyes, from the cover of empire magazine, and it just kinda developed from there...

More realistic stuff coming up tomorrow! I've got a ton of anatomy studies and am about to start work on portraits again! Including my own! Also i'm thinking of practicing some posemaniacs, but i'm a little nervous about it as i haven't done much of that type of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some old stuff for today! A lot of the art i did for my portfolio in 2010.

The first drawing is a still life, and some prelim sketches of it.

The next two are of a harbor in the town that we did the portfolio course. About a 5mins walk from the studio.
    And we did a pastel version of the still life subject. Was alot of fun, havent done much work with pastels so i decided to keep it simple and stick with black and white, focusing on the negative spaces, etc.

I'm not the biggest fan of still life, but i'll try and get back into drawing, and painting some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so time for some more recent work, from last week as a matter of fact.
    1)Some mouth and eye studies.
    2)Random Sketches
    3)Skull/Anatomy study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sory about not updating this thread in awhile, i was busy until i finished work for the summer last Sunday, and i also picked up mass effect 1 and 2 from the steam sale this summer so most of my time has been going into those then and going to the gym.

But i have been drawing, i actually found my old sketchbooks from 2006 to 2010 and will eventually put up those drawings. However now is the time for some more recent work.

-First drawing is the spinning top from inception
    -Second drawing is a girl from a random magazine that was in our house.
    -Third is a posemanic drawing.
    -Fouth; The Batman comic sketch that is still unfinished, although more finished than last time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff! Im not done yet today! The three posemanics were actually done about two weeks ago, just forgot to upload them. And the last is a drawing of an F-22

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.