Sketchbook: Absolute's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Absolute's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Absolute's Sketchbook

Hey guys, I made a thread some time ago about how to get started as an artist and got some really good advice, thanks for that.
    I'm a 24 year old from Israel and started taking an interest in drawing about 3 months ago, I want to make it a profession so I take it seriously and appreciate all the feedback.

So I also went and started taking drawing lessons twice a week, and I will occasionally post here works of my progress, starting with sketches copied from other Artists( will give them credit in such cases ) because at this phase i'm learning how to copy from pictures, previously I'v learned basics of drawing still life from real objects.
    I will post first what I have used to copy from and then my work below it, so let's get started:

This I made about a month ago, before I started to take the drawing lessons or learned anything about proportions etc.
    The original was made by Phil "Sage" Brown, you can find his webcomic,
    here: http://yosh.katbox.net/

This one is brought to you by Mark Crilley, you can find his youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley

I believe this artist is called Macco, and here's the link where I took it from:
    http://mjv-art.org/pictures/view_post/89217?lang=en

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And those are still copies of unproportioned stuff, in result you have some MUCH MORE umproportioned copies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    And those are still copies of unproportioned stuff, in result you have some MUCH MORE umproportioned copies.
    Care to elaborate on which parts I have copied wrong? and what do you suggest I use as copy material to practice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mostly bone proportions and the faces. This is because you don't know the basic proportion rules by the way and you're trying to learn them from a drawing that uses cartoony proportion. It's just wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all thanks for the reply
    I tried to follow your advice as best I could ever since my last thread, and worked on drawing real life objects, which was enhanced when I started my drawing lessons
    and the first 2 weeks were dedicated for that as well.

After that the teacher asked me to bring some photos for reference to learn how to copy correctly from a photo, I'v asked him if it wasn't too soon to draw human figures and he said it's alright because now i'm basically just learning how to draw a line correctly and copy things as they look on the picture(size,position etc).

So I don't know if he's right or not but anyway that's why i'm aware that the proportions aren't correct from the original, and ofcourse not perfectly copied.

Anyway, i'm now finished with that and should start learning Anatomy as well which ofcourse I won't draw from manga or comic..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh alright! Then it was a line copying exercise, i didn't know that of course. This kind of exercise is done to make you align your eyes to your hands when copying something (it works on real subject as it works on photos or everything else). That's why you're not getting the right proportions yet. So then i'm really glad you've started working on your skills in a teaching environment but if you want to receive some real good critics on how enhance your drawing you must show us something done by yourself and not a copy. The only thing i could suggest you based on this kind of exercise is to vary the subject the most you can, don't focus only on characters maybe, the most you vary the easiest is for you to learn and improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guess I should have been more specific when I posted it
    Indeed I plan on starting to draw without copying but i'm a little hesitant still very new at this. at any rate I will post it here when I do, and will try to work on a variety of subjects like you said. Thanks for the feedback!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    moved

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.