pirates splash

This is random exercise.

Would like critics about:
    -general design
    -composition
    -rendering and colors

PAINTOVERS MOST WELCOME

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Danilo; August 5th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tell us more about this image, whats it for - game, album cover/illustration? secondly are your using reference and is there an under drawing for this or is this just value blobs?

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, I updated the post

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilo View Post
    thanks, I updated the post
    Maybe you'd also want to answer the questions Chris asked (ref, underdrawing)? And even if it's a random exercise, you could still have chosen some specifics about it like, if the characters are for what (realistic game, cartoony comic, etc) and who are they and what you were overall going for with the mood/style etc.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    There is no underdrawing, it could be the splash screen for the 2d video game

I think it's pretty obvious that it is a living dead pirate, with his two assistant, of witch one is a creepy assassin that moves like slime in the dark and like to torture, and the girl is ambiguous, her past and her role in the potential story could be essential across the strange romance with the hero.

But all of this should be understandable just from seeing the image.

Last edited by Danilo; August 5th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It should be,but its not.

Personally,I think the characters are too close together,you have all that space and your not using it,its actually quite difficult to make out the two characters who are with the pirate.

Last edited by Artimatum; August 5th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimatum View Post
    It should be,but its not

Personally,I think the characters are too close together,you have all that space and your not using it.
    Hi, can you please specify what is not clear?

the black space is just empty space, the figures should work independently from the canvas size and proportion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What the characters are and what they do...it was not clear to me what the characters were,or why there was a skeleton with them till you explained it.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Danilo, fair enough... i could be an absolute idiot for not being able to distinguish any sort of narrative and or sense of that image. Or it could be that because you've spent several hours painstakingly working on this and overlooking the most important aspect of illustration, and that's communication, and that we don't see what you see. if i squint at this i can't make out anything. Oh and to answer your bullet points -

-general design - unconsidered, "ambiguous" and fairly cliche. There is no character and no foundation skills to even support what your trying to pull off.
    -composition - pretty much the same as above. You need to do thumbnails and think about what your trying to achieve, and possibly do some research and look at some other successful designs of a similar nature/genre.
    -rendering and colors - i would personally suggest forgetting about colour as your understanding of value needs to be assured before you should even consider colour.

All in all you need a pencil and paper and some perspective and anatomy books and to lock yourself in your room for like a year.

P.S I'm sorry that was harsh but it was honest.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, thanks for the crit,
    I dont agree with you much, thought

I dont think you need anatomy for this task.
    I think the goal is to be entertaining, and it don't have to be masterpiece.

I cant understand, how it is not clear that the guy in the center is a dead pirate?

Also the position of other two are pretty much clearly show they character.
    The girl less, but thats ok too.

I need constructive criticism, something that I can apply on this image. Lock my self for a year are not much realistic option considered all of the factors.

Sorry for critic you critic
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the strange romance with the hero
    You mean the dead pirate captain? Or who? Again, this goes to the "who the people are" point, though to me, well I can see the captain is supposed to be a dead pirate (or it could be a guy in a skull mask too), but I also kinda thought these were the main characters, but your mention of a hero suggests they're not?
    These characters vary pretty wildly, for a game that's named "Pirates", I mean you have skeleton pirate captain, but then you have a generic mad scientist hunchback and... a normal human woman? So is it a pirate group of humans that are lead by a skeleton? Or if it's a pirate group of monsters, then I might show more of the monsters? And if the pirate captain isn't the hero, why name the game "Pirates" instead of having it be more ambiguous?
    Are these heroes, villains... honestly they could be both, again depending on what the game itself will be like, but I can't tell that from the image alone (though they look kinda sorry villains if that's what they are).

If this was more about just designing characters, you could've done character sheets.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi TinyBird, thanks for stopping by.

This could by some low cost (3h of work) cover for some indie game.

The selling factors are: Pirates, Horror, Death and Mystery, Girl: Sexuality and Romance. Cold Weapons: Gore...

The potential hero is off the screen

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This could by some low cost (3h of work) cover for some indie game.
    Honestly I'd quote this;
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    If it's not worth doing right then it's not worth doing at all. Doing something badly only results in rejection and a bad reputation, and all of the effort is wasted. So if you feel the price is too low to put in the effort to do it correctly then don't take that job.
    Also, cover and a splash aren't necessarily the same thing. Is this supposed to work as a selling cover, or just as something that hangs in the background or goes by really fast?
    Not to mention it's kinda hard to practice something like "cheap work" since I'd say for games the art quality has to be pretty much the same throughout. Who wants one sloppy image among the otherwise good quality graphics, especially since it's likely that if they already have other graphics, you can use them to make a random splash.
    Also you'd be likely to work with pre-existing characters as well as pre-chosen style and not your own...
    Overall trying to do stuff for games/movies/etc for things that don't exist can be surprisingly different from doing stuff for actual games, where you have specifics of the gameplay or story you need to show and suddenly you can't do whatever you want. At least I'd expect that any indie game that wants to get itself off the ground have at least some control and idea of what they want and you can't necessarily just throw some stuff there.

The selling factors are: Pirates, Horror, Death and Mystery, Girl: Sexuality and Romance. Cold Weapons: Gore...
    The potential hero is off the screen
    Well, kinda few of the selling factors are actually visible, unless one random evil looking woman automatically means that the viewer should expect to romance her? And there's only so much horror, gore and death you can sell with such a cartoony style and couple characters that are doing nothing.

And again if this is a cover (or even a splash) wouldn't it be more selling to you know, show the hero facing off the villains? Or hiding from them or something that relates to the gameplay? Or have the villains be looking for the hero?

Overall all these sound like pretty bad excuses to a poorly thought practice, but at the same time you seem to have really specific critiques you want but yet you don't have seem to have put much work to those.

Last edited by TinyBird; August 6th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Danilo - my crit was more aimed at you as an artist than this piece. However my advice of studying for a year would benefit this piece in the long run.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is pretty much random image, there is no (fortunately for my nerves) a client.
    In my job I often work for low cash and so must work fast.
    So my point is do right image without thumbnails, blocking it out, and do a quick render smudging and adding few details on the storytelling targets.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.