Art: Deep Hurting's Portfolio

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Smile Deep Hurting's Portfolio

I tried posting this on Thursday, August 2nd, but for some reason the thread had to be approved, and never was. I hope I can still be considered for the live portfolio reviews, with that in mind.

My name is Terrence Nowicki, Jr. While I spend a lot of my time drawing editorial cartoons (and have won a few national awards for my work in that field) I don't know if I can call myself a professional because I've never made a living at it. I earned a degree in New Media from Western Washington University, but I'm interested in going back to school and picking up training in a wider variety of fine-art media.

Career-wise, I want to draw narrative arts, including graphic novels, storyboards, and children's books. Of course, that's all in the long run–for the time being, I'm content to focus on general illustration and caricature.

Hopefully the reviewers can explain why I've been so unsuccessful finding work as an illustrator? Assuming something about the work itself is lacking.

Here are some examples of my editorial stuff:

These are some character sketches for a project I'm developing:

Plus some general, gag-humor illustration:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey man,

The work looks great! Strong line art and story telling throughout all of your work. Great anatomy and while not a whole lot of color theory shown (not super super necessary to have mastered, right now), still looks like you could swing it and make everything awesome.

I'd say if you're looking to get into storyboarding/graphic novels/children's stories/etc, you'll need examples to show people that you have done work like that in the past. This may just be me, but I'd be afraid to have an editorial cartoonist (with ONLY editorial cartoons as a portfolio) making a children's book, in fear that my product might have that editorial vibe in it. Not to say you'd do that, but that's the first gut reaction I had.

With graphic novels as example, make a couple page comic as example of what you can offer. Most importantly, have fun with it. You clearly have the skill, and the more you show how much fun you're having in your content/story telling/etc, the more prospects are going to want to see what else you can do. Take it from me, strangers can tell when you make a piece that you're not excited about AS COMPARED TO when you make a piece that you're super stoked to make.

Happy hunting! And get an online portfolio to show people. In case you do not have one, I recommend carbonmade.com for quick and easy presentation and uploading.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sizzle For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.