What if there was a social network just for Graphic Design & Illustrators O.O;

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon What if there was a social network just for Graphic Design & Illustrators O.O;

Look at this poor attempt at a new social network for graphic designers & illustrators XD

http://www.digicrits.com

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so you finally have your idea up and running huh ?
    i admire your passion, i thought you would be pretty down after this, but appearently not so.
    can you give us a demo on what feature your site have ? Or will have ?
    i think that you can learn a few thing or two from the other thread that comparing artwork wont help very much

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marverick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marverick View Post
    can you give us a demo on what feature your site have ? Or will have ?
    Even better than a Demo, you can access the real thing here http://www.digicrits.com/auth

As far as what it will have, that's up to feedback of users

"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins."

-Benjamin Franklin

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by B.K. Conn; August 4th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at this poor attempt at a new social network for graphic designers & illustrators XD
    you might want to rethink your marketing strategy...

still this just comes second to rethinking your product. a ton of people actually beeing your target group, told you it would be a flawed concept.
    to me, and ill be honest there, still doing it that way, ignoring constructive and justified critique, is no sign of passion, but of stubbornness.

anyway good luck with your effort...

Last edited by sone_one; August 5th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    still this just comes second to rethinking your product. a ton of people actually beeing your target group, told you it would be a flawed concept.
    to me, and ill be honest there, still doing it that way, ignoring constructive and justified critique, is no sign of passion, but of stubbornness.

anyway good luck with your effort...
    We want to know what you (designers) the target market would want in this type of social network.

Our hypothesis is that designers would like to spread their art and also have their friends and customers 'rate' their artwork so they can know which design works and which ones don't in the marketplace. All while still maintaining a fun place to come browse, rate & hang.

Other than that we want to know exactly how all artists feel how this should be executed and we will build it

Sorry if I & my team appear stubborn, but In the world I believe a certain bit of, "get it done" then make it better as we go, goes along way.

P.S.

@Dusty:
    Your avatar pic is awesome! Lol, we would love to have your art displayed on Digicrits. ;P

Last edited by B.K. Conn; August 5th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by B.K. Conn View Post
    Sorry if I & my team appear stubborn, but In the world I believe a certain bit of, "get it done" then make it better as we go, goes along way.
    However, if a client's first use of a product is negative, it will be that much harder to get them to return in the future regardless of how much better you make it along the way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Murphy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Our hypothesis is that designers would like to spread their art and also have their friends and customers 'rate' their artwork so they can know which design works and which ones don't in the marketplace. All while still maintaining a fun place to come browse, rate & hang.
    I think your target audience might be telling you that your hypothesis is incorrect. Time to come up with a new hypothesis or a different target audience.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Our hypothesis is that designers would like to spread their art and also have their friends and customers 'rate' their artwork so they can know which design works and which ones don't in the marketplace.
    What you're not understanding is this site, or format, just doesn't do that. A "vs." competition with a photo going up against an illustration for example doesn't tell you anything. At best this might evolve into some kind of amateur DA hangout but I can't imagine it being a professional venue.

Just mho.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do I have to register to see any part of the site?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Saurabhinator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabhinator View Post
    Do I have to register to see any part of the site?
    Yeah, this was my biggest issue.
    I clicked the link, saw I had to register, immediately clicked "back".

If I can't browse the site to see what's up first, I will not participate.
    That's just a general principle of mine, not saying I would participate anyway.

But if it was a neat site, that would be a surefire way to make me not interested. I'd definitely consider changing that aspect.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Design wise. I have no intent on registering for a site that looks like I have to register to see a wordpress blog.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be bold and register? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Poster
    Poster from another forum who registered:
    "Well I admit to being somewhat impressed, your site has come along nicely in my opinion. I like the look and feel once you're logged in.

Notice I said once you're logged in, the landing page isn't great. The form needs some real styling, it just looks cheesy with the standard OS buttons, in fact the entire site needs the forms styled. I know sometimes that can be a pain in the ass but you only have to do it once for the elements and it is important, particularly on a site that caters to artists. That type is absolutely horrid and difficult to read. Once registered and logged in though it gets much better.

One thing I find strange is the pages seem to have a minimum height meaning there is always a vertical scroll bar whether it's needed or not. Not a fan of that, it makes me think there is something to see below which often there isn't.

When you go to the find page it defaults to users, when you switch to images the pictures of the users stays until you do a search, personally I would have an onchange on the radio button that brings up random images the same way random users shows on page load.

The site needs some direction. On my profile what is expected of styles? On image upload what are tags (yeah I know what tags are, not everyone will though)

Write your own feedback page, the tumblr page just looks really unprofessional. I assume this is a stop gap?

The explore is the weakest part in my opinion. No filtering other than the main categories, why am I comparing a photograph of a sniper and a steak? When I choose one it gives me no feedback at all, just loads two new images. I get that the owner of the work gets the feedback but there is no real incentive for the user to rate work other than to just look at art. That in itself may be enough for some people, but I imagine people will get bored eventually. I want to see what others thought, on top rated I want to see how many votes it got etc. I want to see who created it and their other work if I like it. Right now none of these options exist. The biggest problem is how do I follow someone I like if I don't know who they are? From what I can see the only way to see someone's work is to click them in users. That's not even user friendly with a couple of dozen users, with a couple of thousand... it's useless.

You've come a long way and I really think you've done a nice job. The critique above is exactly that a critique to help you make digicrits better and not to slam what you've done. Nice job!"

We will build in log in with Facebook / twitter very soon

Purpose of the app is to get instant crits from the community and the higher the rating, the higher you are on the "artist looking for work" list section which will be soon to be built in. For people looking to commission some work. Better to get in early and earn higher rankings for when the site goes commercial with job postings & artists looking for work. Just a thought :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admire your perseverance, just wish it would go into something more productive. This project is not.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I admire your perseverance, just wish it would go into something more productive. This project is not.
    I must ask. We want to help freelancers and designers who work for commissions. WHAT IS a more productive product we can build for you guys?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate you asking and being open about it, as well as not becoming defensive, especially considering the amount of work that has gone into the site.

Ideas that come to mind:
    If it is to be a professional level tool for marketing I would do away with ANY gimicky stuff like the "vs." ratings.
    Small portfolio pages that may allow reviews, testimonials and comments possibly.
    A way for the designer/illustrator/artist to easily share their resume, contact info.

Plenty of social or sharing sites exist that have the right tools but they aren't focused on design and illustration of course (and actually plenty are, they just aren't professional enough). Things like Flickr or even DA are close in format. I would think a streamlined Flickr crossed with something like Carbon Made(?) or Coppermine(?) would have potential. You may want to expand your research into architecture and interior design network/marketing sites for ideas as well.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    I appreciate you asking and being open about it, as well as not becoming defensive, especially considering the amount of work that has gone into the site.

Ideas that come to mind:
    If it is to be a professional level tool for marketing I would do away with ANY gimicky stuff like the "vs." ratings.
    Yes, the most important thing is not what we think but what you all want and need.

Would up/down votes, similar to a reddit integrated into our current format be better than a 'vs. comparison'?

We would like to go above & beyond just being a portfolio site for you. Which as you say, begins with streamlining a product like a carbonmade/flickr mixture for designers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No professional is going to post their work to be voted on. If they're a pro they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If the pros don't sign up only the worst of the wannabes will.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    No professional is going to post their work to be voted on. If they're a pro they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If the pros don't sign up only the worst of the wannabes will.
    " everything to lose. " That's very true. What is missing today in sharing your work and connecting to jobs (social networking)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would it be more preferable to have people browsing your art/design to have the option to collect it, and share it on their collecting profiles? & the most collected designers would appear in Top Rated/ popular.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Be bold and register? lol.
    Sorry, but no.

I'm the user, you are the website. You need to make it enticing for ME and give ME a reason to look at your site. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to offer you some constructive criticism. Many people operate this way and by pointing it out, I've done all I can. Now you know.

You can feel free to ignore it or you can make it more accessible to the passerby so you actually get people using your site. With millions of websites in the world, people need to have a REASON to go to your site.
    And giving them a browse-able version that doesn't require a login is fairly basic for this type of site.

As I mentioned before, this seems like a "Hot or Not" of art.
    The website, Hot or Not, did not require any form on login. Anyone could go to it, vote immediately, and then leave if they wanted. That created a fairly viral scenario where people would tell their friends to look at it. The easier something is to use, the more people will use it (if it interests them). Of course, it's worth noting "Hot or Not" was popular about 12 years ago.....so I have no idea if such a site would be popular today.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to me c g h u b . c o m (god its redicilous this gets filtered!) is a close to perfect example of an artist social network. you might want to take a look if you havent already.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

34. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Sorry, but no.

I'm the user, you are the website. You need to make it enticing for ME and give ME a reason to look at your site. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to offer you some constructive criticism. Many people operate this way and by pointing it out, I've done all I can. Now you know.

You can feel free to ignore it or you can make it more accessible to the passerby so you actually get people using your site. With millions of websites in the world, people need to have a REASON to go to your site.
    And giving them a browse-able version that doesn't require a login is fairly basic for this type of site.
    This is good advice, thank you. & we won't ignore it. We will open it up to free browse.

We are wondering if you the user would use a site that is similar to this pair comparison, but allows only employers to go through the art in pairs and it suggests the top picks of their preferences for them to place in the job? You would receive the private info of which pieces the employers were and were not picking without anyone else seeing the results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly? Voting system isn't going to work.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Guys" FYI the rest of the staff have nothing to do with it, bringing up what is censored on the site means you need to take it up with the person in charge. Bringing it up on random threads is not changing the outcome and is frustrating the other admins.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry but I don't think you are quite grasping how the art industry works.

1. Why should anyone post work on your site if they could recieve negative votes?

2. Who is going to pay to post jobs when so many places are clammering to post them for free?

The answer to both those questions is probably the same. If you had a huge following then you might get some employers willing to pay for getting their job featured, but not many. So far I don't see that you're offering anything to the professional artists. They are your target market. Find a way to appeal to them and everyone else will come running.

I said in your last thread, what artists need is someway to coordinate all of their social media updates from a single non-confusing/spamming location.
    Think linkedin, twitter, blogs, facebook, tumblr... et al. Be a professional interface that saves time and hassel and people will use it.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think you are quite grasping how the art industry works.

1. Why should anyone post work on your site if they could receive negative votes?
    That's a very good point. &The way it's set up now you can only see that top rated, and similarly to cghub and deviant art those who receive 'negative votes' just aren't seen at the top or displayed as popular. Similar conventions as deviant art, cghub in how they display most popular, just a different way of evaluating instead of most views/faved/comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't facebook initially founded on the idea that photos of students would be put on display for a "who is prettier?" vote and it was quickly taken down as many students got offended?

I might be confusing it with something else, though. Just reminded me.
    I don't understand what the difference to deviantart would be, apart from a more confrontational voting system (as supposed to favoring, page views and daily deviations). Deviantart is expanding in the areas of social networking and I guess it will only be a matter of time that you can link fb with dA seaminglessly.

I mean, cghub could be described as a more serious form of deviantart with similar ambitions like yours, yet most artists seem to use these sites only in addition to own online portfolios and websites.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The difference being, their ranking systems are based on positive actions such as views/faved/comments as you stated. What you've proposed is a ranking system based on negative actions such as being voted down. They sound simular but they're are totally different. The positive systems are barely there they're an organic byproduct of the sites use. A negative system would be heavily felt. I still don't believe it would do well, because who will have the right to vote?.. And why should we let anyone have the power to vote on our hard work. Their isn't any incentive for pro's to post their work to have it compared to that of 13yr olds. It just won't happen.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, your voting system would produce "Mediocrity".

If everyone likes your work, it's probably a good indicator that you're doing something wrong.
    http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012/06/mediocrity.html

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin View Post
    Right, your voting system would produce "Mediocrity".

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012/06/mediocrity.html
    MOST awesome blog article Bowlin, I learned a lot from that, TY. Wouldn't all voting methods even {likes/favs/comments} be exclusionary? While some receive likes, the others do not. And by that premise wouldn't even likes promote a sense of mediocrity? The question is how do you get around the rating (likes/favs/pairs) whatever, and actually qualify designs without mediocrity?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.